WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Tannery - WIP

Hi Everybody,

Well, after all the great suggestions I got from my thread "which one?" (thanks again, everyone!), I decided to do two different views of the Tannery.. a smaller, more close-up view.. and later, a larger full scene view with more background. I finally had time to get started on the first one.. the smaller view. I have about 5-6 hours into it so far.
(btw - Dean's comment on that thread to "not overshadow this cool building with foliage" had a great deal to do with my choice - thanks Dean!)

For those who missed that thread, the Tannery is another of the historical structures that I am fortunate enough to have here in Bethlehem. It was built by Moravian settlers in 1761.. and was restored in 1971.

I am, again, doing this drawing for with sole intention of selling prints of it.. which is why I'm going to do two versions. Along with a choice of B&W and hand-coloring, I'm also trying to provide customers with a choice of size (not everyone has room for a 16 x 20 piece)

So, here it is.. "00" Koh-i-noor tech pen on Bainbridge ruling mechanical board
(my store stopped carrying the Strathmore ) aprox image size is 8 x 10.

This is a cropped version that doesn't include some of the foliage on the left side due to not being able to fit it on my scanner. (I currently have long strips of board taped to the edges of the drawing to provide my vanishing points.. when I'm done with the building, I can remove them and get a full scan)

Here's the ref photo.

And, of course, here's the close-up. (displays about 3-4 times larger than actual size)

I remember someone recently asking if pencil lines are layed down before the ink is applied. Here is a really good example of that very thing. I freehand draw the stones for the corner of the building, then I use them to draw guide lines back to my vanishing point. Then I grab my pen and go to work! I outline my stones first, then go back later with cross-hatching.

I learned something from my Waterworks drawing which I'm utilizing with this one. In the Waterworks, I did the lighter wall of the building first, but ran into problems as I had to make the other wall a bit too dark to maintain the contrast between the two. Then, when I drew the windows on the dark wall, they had to be much darker than they really were, and became dangerously close to getting "muddy".

In this one, I'm starting with the darker side of the building first, then I can base the other values on that.

Last edited by DBSullivan : 08-30-2005 at 01:14 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Monterey, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Tannery - WIP

Yea! I've been looking forward to this WIP. Thanks for posting it for us!

Rebecca
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Yay! I Win! … I said pick pic number 1 … so, what’s my prize?

Excellent start Dave!
I always love the detailed glimpse in2 your thought process ... This is gonna be Great!

& btw, I’m not even gonna count the bricks (sorry, stones ) this time

Seriously tho … what’s my prize?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 12:00 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Mesa, AZ

Hails from United States

Wow, Dave! I see now (as if I haven't seen already in your other threads) why it takes so many hours to complete these!!! I might measure a few items and use a straight edge here & there, but I have gotten so use to eyeballing the rest~I guess you would say I don't have the patience for such detail! But then that's why I don't do buildings either!! Great start. I'll pull up a chair for the rest of this even though you'll probably give front row tickets to Dean.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 12:17 AM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Oo Yes, I love this close-up one -- I think it was my second choice. It's a beautiful building, and knowing you Dave, your rendition will end up looking better than the real thing. You are off to a wonderful start, and providing Dean doesn't mind an Aussie sitting next to a New Zealander, I'll pull my chair up alongside his, and Dan, I've made room for you in the front row too my friend.

'Tis exciting Dave

Val.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Bismarck, ND

Hails from United States

WHAT!!!!! NO SCRIPPLE TREES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo hoo!! The Tannery in progress!!! You go Dave! Do you use a ruler for those crosshatched lines?? Sheesh!!! Thanks for the close-ups and the WIP...appreciate your effort to post this. 16 x 20?? Are you mad???

BTW - How about a box of school-grade pens for Dean as a prize??

my website
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 12:46 AM
Mesa, AZ

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel-ink
BTW - How about a box of school-grade pens for Dean as a prize??
Artist quality no less!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

You guys are the best!!! I had a great time reading these responses!

Rebecca - Thank you!.. I aim to please!

Dean - Thanks, bud! I appreciate that! (and whew!!!.. I'm glad you're not gonna count the stones this time.. that's alot of undue pressure on me to make sure I didn't miss any!)

Dan - Thanks for the props! And about the meticulous guidelines.. when I was young, I saw a painting that was so well done it looked like a photo.. except that the windows were out of line with the rest of the perspective. I couldn't understand why this artist went to all the trouble to render it so beautifully, yet failed to spend a modest amount of time to get those windows straight. I promised myself that I would never do that. And the rest is "perspective history"!

Val - Thank you!!! You always have such nice things to say.. you're such a pal! And you made it on time! (and if Dean doesn't like you sitting in the front.. I'll make him move to the back! )

Mel - Thanks for the "Woo hoo" (I needed that ) Oh... and, ha ha.. I caught you "skimming! This size is 8 x 10.. the 16 x 20 was a reference to the other (framed) size I normally work in. (you editor, you!.. tsk, tsk!) I'm doing this one to fit into an 11 x 14 frame. Wanna know the real reason for that particular size?.. hee hee - it's because I have a million scraps of matboard (the insides from my larger mats) that can be cut down to 11 x 14 and used. No, I'm not cheap.. I'm...ummmm.... resourceful! yeah, that's it!
And don't worry.. I will most definitely be doing some scrtipptlbbing on this one.. just not as heavy as in the last one. Dean's comment made me realize that this should be a drawing of a building with some trees in the background.. not the other way around.

And as for Dean's prize.. I like the idea of a box of school grade pens, but I don't think he's ready for that .. maybe some crayons .. artist quality, of course! Or it could be "The Beginner's Book of Ink Drawing" by Paul Bointpen!

Actually.. I'll be sending him some of my prints.. if he decides to give me his address!!! (Dean!) I realize that sending them to "Dean, New Zealand" would narrow it down, but.......

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Bismarck, ND

Hails from United States

Quote:
ha ha.. I caught you "skimming! This size is 8 x 10..

It was late...

my website
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel-ink
It was late...

OMG, it was late! ...after 1 AM??? Isn't that past your bedtime, young lady???

okay.. all is forgiven! lol

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 03:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Wow, another stunner in process.

Hey, I just did a search for that book by Paul Bointpen and couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe Dean and Danny, et. al., will have to collaborate on one.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Hamilton, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Yay! What a cool prize!
Tho u know I would have been happy just sharing the front row with Val

btw Monica, I think Dave misspelt the name … I think you’ll find its Paul Bointben?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 04:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

... moving right along.. it's update time! I got another 8 or so hrs done.. finished the stones on the right wall and began the left side. I had to do a bit of grass at the base of the building to match it up with the stones. And I darkened the roof a bit.. just cause I felt like it!

I needed to figure out how I was going to make the stones lighter on the left side.. so after experimenting on scrap paper, I decided to do lighter cross-hatching with no outlines around the stones. I'm using my guidelines, and adding vertical lines to them, basically drawing each stone. I use the pencil outlines to do the cross-hatching, then erase the pencil.

A couple more close-ups..

Thanks for looking!

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2005, 06:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by artistdbs
Thanks for looking!

No, thank *you* for the show and tell.