WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Teacher's Toolbox
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2005, 04:07 AM
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Hails from United Kingdom
Paints for Primary School - suggestions please!

I live in London, uk, and would like to send some basic paints and brushes to a primary school in Liberia. Someone would have to carry them out in their baggage, so they should be as light and practical to transport as possible.

I remember using powder paints at school, which presumably would be the most colour for the least weight, although dreadful if they leaked in transit. Are they still around? and where do you buy them -- I don't think I've seen them in art shops. Also brushes -- are there suppliers for bulk quantities of school-type brushes? I would need to send around forty so that a whole class could paint at one time.
or would crayons be better?

This is a little local self-help school, started during the civil war when all schools were shut, and still the only school in its neighbourhood. Volunteer teachers, and almost no materials. We've helped them get roofing sheets to keep the rain out, and I've just taken them a bag of mixed childrens' book, but I don't think they've ever had the chance to draw or paint. Mixed ages from about four to mid-teens.

I could buy directly from shops in London or on the internet within the uk

All suggestions welcome.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Re: Paints for Primary School - suggestions please!

I believe the powder paints you are referring to are tempera paints. That is what I use in my classroom...and I substitute it for watercolor and teach techniques very near the same but without the expense of watercolors. I mix my powder colors up and put them in rubbermaid ketchup/mustard plastic bottles with pour spouts.

I put freezerwrap paper taped down to a table top, shiny side up, and put a little color at the top leading edge of the paper, about a 25cent piece size of liquid pigment. The freezerwrap is lovely for mixing color and easy clean up. IN fact, I'll have the kids leave the paper on the table if I have another class coming in that can use it. Cleans with a simple sponge. By adding a bit of water you can do washes similar to watercolors and so forth.

There are a number of companies school art teachers buy from here in the states, don't know about abroad. SAX Arts & Crafts, NASCO...and so forth. Brand name of paint...typical is Crayola...
good luck

Larry
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-01-2005, 02:53 AM
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

Thank you for that. I may have more success in finding them now I know they are called tempera! I love the image of your children mixing on table tops covered in clingfilm. Alas my children in Liberia have no clingfilm (and no tables either!) but I'm sure they can find old tin lids and bits of broken plate.

What about the brushes -- what do you call the ones you use for tempera?

PS: maybe you would like to see a photo
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast
Northern Ireland

There is a paint called Brusho that comes in powder form. It's supplied by Colourcraft Ltd. I own an art business, so I buy direct, but I don't know if they would sell to a private buyer. Their website is: http://www.colourcraftltd.com/index.htm
If they won't sell you to directly there are several retail suppliers.

Brusho is great because the colours are really vibrant and you can use it in lots of different ways. I think each little pot makes up to 500 ml of paint, but you'll need to double-check that.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

a wonderful picture!!!!! Thanks for sharing that.

There are any number of cheap imitation hog bristle brushes, synthetics...and online there are a number of art retailers, discount and so forth...and I'd recommend 1" flats, 1/2" flats, and a few watercolor brush rounds #8's...

most art teachers here in the US use Sax Arts and Crafts, (here is their link online-)
http://www.saxarts.com/

another is NASCO- http://www.enasco.com/artsandcrafts/

Here's an example of a tub of brushes you can get at NASCO's
http://www.enasco.com/artsandcrafts/...do?sku=9723569

There's "Cheap Joes"... http://www.cheapjoes.com/

sorry...wish I would have checked back sooner.

take care and good luck!

Larry
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2005, 06:20 PM

I use the tempera cakes in plastic palettes. I found it much easier to cat around and you can use them as tempera or thinly like watercolor. For the mixed tempera or any othe liquid i like to use plastic peanut butter jars (or any other plastic jar with a lid) and there are many plastic totes available that they fit nicely in. These jars work well for markers and pencils or brushes or...whatever.
Sherry Callen
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2005, 04:12 PM
A WC! Legend

How about aspects of color theory.... mixing blue and yellow to get green or blue and red to get purple etc? My Crayola brand tempera has a so-called blue that is very unfriendly to color mixing demonstrations.

What is widely available and friendly to mixers of color? ...rich green & grapey purple
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Hails from England

This link is to an on-line supplier in the UK of powder paints plus much more.
http://www.hope-education.co.uk/weba...8501&langId=-1
Brusho is good as a watercolour wash but not so good if you want to mix strong thick colours. I too have used the block colours but my pupils (9 -13 years) prefer to use powder paint as they have more control over the final consistency of the media.