WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States
Barry John Raybould????

http://www.bjrgallery.com/

I ran across this artist who paints PA in Calif. He also has a art course available. I was wondering if any of you had heard of him or his art course?

http://www.virtualartacademy.com/index.php?ref=5

he also has workshops available.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy his art,
Don
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2005, 05:37 PM
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Barry John Raybould????

Hi Don,

I ran across this artist and I have bought a few of his lessons.
Once you pay for them they are released to you in PDF format.
At first I was having trouble downloading them on my computer
at home, but the staff from his organization was very helpful in
getting me up and running.

As far as the information he provides.
I have gleaned some things from the lessons I have downloaded.
But nothing that has completely transformed my ability to paint.

Of course I haven't bought the whole course so maybe it would be
different.

Hope that helps.

"The study of art is a lifetime matter. The best any artist can do is to accumulate all the knowledge
possible of art and its principles, study nature
often and then practice continually."

Edgar Payne
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Thanks VG! I like his paintings, and he certainly has a long list of competitions and awards, not to mention the Masters from Cambridge. I may check into his courses a little more. I would prefer him to be accredited, but from what I've heard, colleges and universities don't always have a great art course. It might be better to take a good art course and improve, than to spend a lot of money and time, with out improving.

So much to paint, so little time,
Don
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2005, 01:39 AM
Lord of the Arts
near Rochester, NY

Hails from United States

I don't have any personal experience with his workshops or on-line courses,
but a painting friend in Virginia attended one of his workshops and then followed
up with some of his on-line materials. She had nothing but good things to
say about both, for what it's worth.

I do like his paintings and wouldn't mind doing a workshop if the price and
location were right.

Check out my Website (updated November 18, 2009)
And my new blog, stop by when you get a chance!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Thanks Chris,

He has a sample lesson for $5.00 that might be worth checking in to. What's $5.00 this day and age? Two gallons of gas, lunch at McDonalds, a matinee ticket to the movies, or two ice cream cones at Baskin Robbins.

D
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

International Artist's Magazine has an article by Barry John. I haven't finished reading it yet, but thought I would pass this information on in case anyone else was interested. I wonder if he knows about Wetcanvas and would be interested in helping out like Marc, Larry, Lee and others?

Have a nice day,
Don
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald_Smith
Thanks Chris,

He has a sample lesson for $5.00 that might be worth checking in to. What's $5.00 this day and age? Two gallons of gas, lunch at McDonalds, a matinee ticket to the movies, or two ice cream cones at Baskin Robbins.

D

Ice cream? Did someone say ice cream?

John

Visit my Blog.

Visit my "Painting a Day" gallery
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Hello,
I bought the whole Virtual Art Academy course because as a baby-boomer amateur painter I wanted to overhaul my whole way of painting.
Two months later I went to a workshop with Barry J. Raybould.
1) The course is thorough, clear, complete. It can be done in parts or in whole. Although I have a shelf full of painting books, this course gathers information and advice from many sources and I am finding it very useful indeed. It certainly doesn't tell you "use cerulean blue and burnt sienna", it teaches how to think and see, how to design a painting, whatever the medium.
2) The word I used at the end of the workshop, when somebody asked me about it, was "generous".
I certainly recommend both the course and the workshops, in this order. Buy the course, work on it for months or a year, then go to a workshop to work out practical details and watch Mr Raybould painting. He readily shares all his knowledge ; applying it is up to us.
Happy painting!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Lakeville, MN

Hails from United States

I have also bought the course...it is full of information. Like anything else you have to apply the information, do the exercises and practice, practice to get the full benefit. Worth the money. Sandy

Thanks for looking and C & C appreciated.

Look to the composition in nature! She is an infinite source of design. Like a perfect lover, she never disappoints, never grows ulgy, and never fails to reveal herself in facinating new ways. Just be faithful to her. Richard Schmid
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 01:43 AM
Southern California

Hails from United States

Donald-
Yes, he knows about WC. His screen name is b123 although he has only a few posts. Check out this thread about BJR started by Larry Seilor in May of this year.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 AM

Thumbs up Re: Barry John Raybould????

Hey folks !

As it is never late to give an answer, here is my testimonial. Its a huge one but I swear I could tell you more and

more...

I did Barry s workshop 2 years ago. I must say I was searching during a long long time some very good knowledge about painting, tones of books, some dvd but in most cases I did found good stuff but it seems always to stop when it was becoming interesting.

One day I was surfing around, searching again about good information I found Barry s site.
http://www.bjrgallery.com/

It consist mainly of PDF courses. I pick up one of them. Bought it online, and few minutes later had the content. No shipping cost, no tracking list !

The theme I picked up was about Color. It took me one night to realized I found THE MASTER. The knowledge was clear, well organized and deep. So what did I do ? I purchase the whole course and spend one month reading the stuff again and again. It s not what you should do but I couldn t stop.
It is really fantastic. Answer to witch easel you should buy and why, how colors works, how to compose an image, how to handle color tone and so on. You ll find also great exercice, as painting is not about reading but about practice.

Soon I realized a lot of things about how to make a good picture, not only in painting but in moving images. But let me continue. So I decided to go to Barry s workshop. It was a huge step for me.
WHY ?
The workshop was in Venice (italy). And I m french but at this time I m leaving in Brasil, this means crossing the big ocean and go to Italy, where Barry was doing the workshop..Then I had lot of work at my daily job (visual
effects) so I had find a gap and leave for few days. And naturaly had to go alone to concentrate on painting. So I left family at home.

And so during one week I was in Venise ! I meet Barry and few student that where doing the workshop. Soon we begun, and until this day I can t look at the world with the same eyes.
If you are just looking to have a demonstration of a trendy painter that s the wrong place to go. But if you are looking to develop your own pictural entity and get a solid fundation about painting your found the GUY !

Barry teached us in one week more than I could learn during years of reading around, screening dvd. The first day he introduce us what it is that make a painting a good one from a genious one. He soon send us in mission to accomplish small exercice.

He point the thing that are obvious when you know them. But to know them, it take some years. And Barry just share all that stuff with you, building not only strong knowledge about composition, form, observation
and and and but also helping you to critique yourself. That means when the workshop is done you can continue learning.
The next day he makes some critiques pointing the good things and the bad. He loves the bad things. And when you get one bad things you get a medail. When you get lots of bad things (be prepared) you ll get some gold medails. Why ?

Because he construct knowledge through experience. That mean failing is good as you learn not to do the same mistake twice. He objectively explain you why you did the wrong thing, and explain how do the right one. And so each day that we where doing the workshop was a huge step forward.

All people that went to the workshop where satisfied, people with experience and people without. I for example come

from computer, so my contact with traditional art was almost in-existent.
I work with 3D (maya mainly) ranging from film to advertising. Its a lot about technique and a lot about sense of realism when you compose the images. Doing the workshop will help you understand the fine color tuning, and a sense of critic even when looking at some films. I did the workshop and it overcame my expectation. Barry is a great and generous teacher and became a friend as well.

So should you do the workshop? Definitively ! For the knowledge that the teacher share and also the great place that are choosen for this purpose ! Purchase the pdf, it is a must for the one who need a strong base (watercolor, oil or acrylic) and is a bible to your daily question about what did I do wrong:? Why do my picture not work ? Funny is also as you progress, you ll see you barely didn t pay attention to one little line, and reading the stuff again give you the light that you didn t turn on because you were not ready for it. Some time I will even catch myself looking for a painter like Mucha, Monet or even contemporary as Jenny Saville and then smile about the new way I see the things (Kind of Matrix....you take the red
pill and see how deep the rabbit hole goes)

Check also Barry s video or internet content. He gets a blog, a forum, a newsletter, well very active person.

Any question, I ll be pleased to answer....
Cu guys
Ciao
Fred, still in brasil !!
Fredpalacio.blogspot.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Michigan

Hails from United States

I love this guy's work. He paints pretty much exactly how I hope to be able to paint some day. If I could, I would take his workshop. It sounds like a very worthwhile experience.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 AM

I did the Venice workshop along with Fred (hi Fred!). I've subscribed for a while to the VAA and was thrilled to be able to go to one of Barry's workshops.
It was everything that Fred says it was. So interesting and informative, but you've got to want to learn. The more you are prepared to put in, the more you will got out of it. Many 'eureka' moments.
Barry's a great teacher. My friend came with me, a total non-painter, and she loved it too. It opened her eyes as much as mine.
This year we went to the museum workshop in Madrid at the Prado with Barry to see the huge Sorolla exhibition and to study his work. It was truly wonderful.
The online study is fantastic but nothing beats going along to a workshop if you can manage to do so. It has fed through into improving my paintings no end. (Although it's often a case of...the more you learn, the more you realise there is to learn).
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the additional comments. I love it when an old thread gets bumped to the top, it brings back good memories, I started this one in August of 2005.. I got the course for Christmas in 2005. I thought I would just whip through it in a short time, like I have many other things in life, but some of the exercizes take a long long time to complete. I've read all of the course work, some two or three times. I'm still working on the exercises, and it may take me a life time to get them all done. If I didn't have a full time job and family I would be done by now, but I would rather have the family and be able to eat and pay bills. I know, that's a cop out for an artist..

I would love to take one of his workshops. Thanks for sharing all the information and photos! It sounds like a person could really learn a LOT. I may have to save up but it will take several years. I've got to get my son's college paid for first, he just finished Pitsburgh Art Insititut.

Don
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 PM

I make photographs; you could say I am a wannabe artist. I have learned composition from other photographers, but I have always felt that I am still missing something. I want to improve my photography; I have a strong feeling that knowing and practicing some principles of art will help me. I have many art books, however, they are specialized on one or two subjects. I was looking for a complete course on art. I have been searching the web for art instructions, and I finally found the Virtual Art Academy (www.VirtualArtAcademy.com) which has a complete course on art. To my surprise I came across this in the FAQs where Barry John Raybould answered:

“Last week a young artist who I thought was going to be a painter, and who had gone through my materials gave me a call. He had switched from painting to photography and had just got a scholarship to study photographic art in Italy. He called to thank me because he said that studying my materials played a big part in him winning the scholarship.

“To answer the question:
These courses will be of great benefit:
1. All Notan courses
2. All Design and Composition Courses
3. All Visual Music and Poetry Courses
4. All Color Courses

“These courses will have a lot of useful ideas in them for photographers (provided you think creatively!):
5. All Brushwork courses (think texture!)
6. Observation courses (think 'how to look')
7. Form (a photograph should show form, just as a painting does, so this is probably important).

“The following courses are not as particularly relevant to photography
8. Drawing (not really relevant)
9. Organization (not really relevant)
10. Process (not really relevant)”

I have purchased most of the courses suggested. I started last month with the Notan lessons. The lessons are explained very clearly, and to the point. And I can transfer what I learn to photography very easily. Today I am reading the second lesson on Notan. It has given me tremendous insight to improve composition.

Barry’s course also has videos. The video course is just as if I am in a class with Barry.*Each video is practical; he shows me how to do an art technique.

Each video also has reading material so I don't have to transcribe what is said. And there are also assignments provided if I care to do them. I feel very fortunate to have found such good instructions. I am glad I bought the full 20 video series.

The course members have a virtual campus where the students meet and upload assignments, and a critique is done of our work.

Best wishes,
Swami