WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Question Any Ron Ranson adepts out there?

I just saw a video on TV of Ron Ranson doing some landscapes. It's time that I tried watercolor and so I came over for some advice that will save me money and time.
Would you please advise where I could go online and get (at a good price) a basic set up in watercolors that would give me a chance at doing a Ron Ranson like painting.
He only used a hake and a rigger brush in the video I saw, but maybe there was a fan brush also, didn't catch it. He painted on a large spiral pad. I've been doing oils for a year and I like the etherial delicateness I've seen in other's watercolors.. many thanks for any and all suggestions on what and where to get supplies.
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Id get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Id go back into it, the better itd get. Well, its just the reverse!! It doesnt work that way. Its a gift. Its kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2002, 06:28 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States
Hi Mario,

Welcome aboard.

Didn't know who Ron Ranson was...just took a look at his website...bloody hell good stuff. I'm sure others will be able to help you out better than I as my paintings aren't as loose as this. But buy the best you can afford...go for artists watercolours from the get go...I am actually in the process of selling some of my student watercolours to a friend to make the upgrade to artist quality.

For his work I presume he's using 140lb cold press.

You can buy online...Cheapjoes or Dickblick. I personally get most of my supplies locally from a store called Pat Catan's here in Ohio. I imagine there's a similar discount art supplier near you.

Brushes? again buy the best...sable are top but with a price to match :-( I've found the sablette brushes to be adequate for my needs.

On Ron's website I see there are a number of books - wondering if you grabbed one of those they would give you an outline of his tools and techniques much better than anyone of us second guessing here. I imagine he makes great use of wet-into-wet techniques whereby he is painting another colour onto a still wet colour and just allowing gravity and watermolecules to do their stuff - you can get some wonderful effects with this.

Also you paint light to dark with wc - presume the reverse to acrylic. In some regards wc is unforgiving but you can correct a number of mistakes - best to get to the paint whilst it's wet.

Have fun.

Cheers
Brian
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2002, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member
Lockport, New York

Hails from United States
Watercolor supplies

Try Cheap Joes online or Blicks. Great buys.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 12:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
AZ

Hails from United States
Mario

I have taken lessons from an individual whose style is similar to Ron Ransons. We used a 1" hake, a rigger, a round about #6 and a 3/4 or 1" flat brush. Many of the class members bought all of their supplies at Hobby Lobby where we took the lessons. The hake brushes are not expensive. It does take some time to "break-in" the hake. It does seem to need a certain amount of wear and some of the hairs to fall out before it really works it's best.

No one painted anything larger than 11 x 15 in class.

As the others advised get the best paper and paint you can afford.

Good luck
John
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 07:39 AM
A Local Legend
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Cool

Ron Ranson paints nice and loose with his hake, he has several videos and books on the market.
Rod.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 08:42 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland, USA

Hails from United States
You might take the time to look around a little because Ron Ranson is just one of many. Personally my favorite watercolour artist is Ray Campbell Smith for landscapes and Louise jackson for floral scenes. So first what subjects do you want to paint and then find you favorite artist(s) within that group would be my suggestion.

Good Luck,

Admiral Lord Nelson
29 Sept 1758 21 Oct 1805 (aged 47)
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast
Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.

I'm not familiar with Ranson, but I did a search and found his website: http://www.ronranson.com/index.html

Beautiful work. He has written a bunch of books, which probably tell what his palette is. Also, if you click on the "books and videotapes" section, there is an email address for him. Maybe he wouldn't mind if you asked him a question or two -- maybe especially if you ask at the same time you're ordering a book or tape.

Victoria
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 10:48 PM
New Brunswick

Hails from Canada
ron ranson book

I belong to an art club and we have chipped in and bought quite a few books and videos from Northlight Book Club. Great prices though lately we have been having problem getting books(could be cause we are in Canada) I personally own Ron Ranson on skies and watercolor from photographs. Yes he does have a nice style.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2002, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Uppsala, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Cool Ron Ronson's equipment

Hi Mario,

I own one of Ron Ronson's videos (the only instructional video for the moment) , the one on painting skies and I aboslutely love it! My friend in London, whom I asked to purchase the video for me in one of the book stores, also bought a little book by him "Skies in watercolor. Everything you need to get started" which is also very helpful. For the exercises in that book he uses No. 2 rigger; 25 mm. flat, hake and squirrel hair brush.

As for the paper, his preference is 300 gsm (140 lb) paper that has a meduim tooth. Ronson restricts his palette to eight colors:
Raw Sienna, Payne's Gray, French Ultramarine, Lemon Yellow, Burnt Umber, Light Red, Crimson Alizarin, and a cool blue, such as Prussian Blue. He uses Daler-Rowney's Artists' Quality paint.

I would love to get other instructional videos by R.Ronson and my already ordered them to my friend.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

IrinA
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2002, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Uppsala, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Red face Of course it's Ron RANSON

Sorry,

I misspelled the last name of the artist: of course it's Ron Ranson .

IrinA