Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Really cheap linseed oil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    nam26b

Hello all,

I was at the store buying some stuff tonight and I saw 100% pure boiled linseed oil being sold as a furniture finish for $3.00 a quart. I’m wondering if there’s some kind of quality difference between it and the artist’s stuff I normally buy that couldn’t be taken care of by ‘washing’ the oil. If not, it seems like a pretty good deal. I opened it and took a look, and it had a slightly yellow color (a little lighter than stand oil) and wasn’t quite as thick as stand oil.

Let me know what you think,

Nathan

Leopoldo1

[i]Originally posted by nam26b [/i]
            [B]Let me know what you think,

Nathan [/B]

Nathan, boiled linseed oil is boiled linseed oil, bottom line. cold pressed or boiled linseed is always thinner than stand oil. :oL

Michael2

Yes, it seems as once something inexpensive finds its way into an art supply store, the price gets mysteriously jacked up.

I’ve compared cheap “odorless” mineral spirits sold at the hardware store to the more expensive Turpenoid brand sold at art supply stores. I assure you that the expensive stuff is of higher purity. Turpenoid truly is odorless, unlike the hardware store stuff.

So I assume that the same thing applies to linseed oil.

If you really use a lot of linseed oil in your paintings, and you are really short of money, then I’m sure the hardware store linseed oil will work. But without further research, I would assume that the expensive linseed oil is purer and is better ph balanced, and thus will create a stronger paint film, less likely to yellow, and more archival.

(Maybe someone who knows more will say I am wrong and there is zero difference.)

Of course we are talking about refined linseed oil here. At the art supply stores you can also find cold pressed linseed oil, which is more expensive to manufacture. Whether or not it’s “better” is a subject that has been much debated.

snakum

For more years than I care to admit I worked in various manufacturing industries in Management and Engineering, working in electronics, plastics, metals, just about everything. I was often surprised to see ‘name-brand’ products being set up and run on the same machinery, using the same processes, with the same materials (or only slightly different formulas) as the ‘cheap/house’ brand of products. The funniest thing I learned is that the two brands of Sears hand tools – in which the Craftsman brand is way more expensive – are the same tool, only the cheaper one is chrome plated because market research shows that chrome tools are perceived as cheaper. The cheap wrench actually costs more to produce than the expensive one.

While I never worked in solvents, I’d be willing to bet the same thing happens there to an extent, as well. Outside of the big companies with there own oil processing labs, I’d be willing to bet there are only so many turps/oil/medium manufacturers in the US or EU and many of the materials we buy roll out of the same back door. Of course, the quality of the raw materials may vary and I couldn’t say by how much. But if the cheap linseed oil is ‘washed’ with the freezing method I read about I’d say it’s probably as good as anything else.

To be honest, all this talk about a painting yellowing or cracking in 500 years is kinda funny. I’ve seen alot of talent on this forum (and everyone’s been unbelievably helpful) but outside of a few pros … do we really think that’s an issue? Isn’t a bit of overkill for most of us to worry about where our paintings will be in 500 years? ALL mine have wound up in the trash so far :D

Respectfully,

Rev. Minh Thong

Official member of the No Sig Club. I totally rock. :clap:

Talking about archiveness is silly since so much of the stuff shown here should not survive 500 hrs let alone 500 years. (Including mine)!

vallarta

One time I knew it all!

Then I learned I knew nothing!!!

Now I am trying to learn again

Leopoldo1

[i]Originally posted by vallarta [/i]
                        [B]Talking about archiveness is silly since so much of the stuff shown here should not survive 500 hrs let alone 500 years. (Including mine)!

vallarta [/B]

I dont’ know about that and maybe you should speak soley instead of lumping yourself with others. I think most of us, including yourself venture creatively by devotion, disclipline, learning and exploring more from one’s medium so we can create good art! Isn’t that what it is all about? Archiveness is a area of pride with artists and should be included in ones endeavors. :oL

nam26b

I suppose you’re right, I am on my third painting right now (if you don’t cound a couple of E.T. paintings–early throwaways), and most everything I have done so far has been on drawing paper because I din’t wnt to wasate canvas! A lot of it has also been god-awful.

Until I finish with my “practical” degree and can get into an art school, I’ll just kep trying to learn as much as possible, and I suppose I can do that just as well with the cheap oil.

Thanks for your comments all.

Nathan

want the cheepest you can find? go to walmart, to the wall paint section, and you will find those tins with linseed oil and terpentine.. i got mine for 2 bucks a can and they are HUGE… i use a lot of oil, specialy if i want a glossy coat on something…. it still would have lasted a long time…

And i have used both the art stuff from the art section and the cheep stuff from the harware section, they end up the same. one might be just slightly yellower then the other, but does that really matter?

My Link Tree[/url]

snakum

… if Walmart sold Stand Oil and Damar Varnish in those $2.00 buckets I’d really be in business. That’s where my initial paint set and all my brushes came from.

You’ve heard of El Greco? Well … I’m El Cheapo! :D

Monk Minh Thong

nam26b

Wal-mart is where I found the linseed oil for $3 per quart. I’ll buy some when I run out of the windsor-newton stuff for which I paid $7.00 for a couple of ounces.

If wal-mart sold damar and stand oil for $3 a quart, I’d try to get some kind of resale contract. “Artists” like me wouldn’t know the difference, and you could make about a 500% mark-up.

Nathan

nam26b

. one might be just slightly yellower then the other, but does that really matter?

Not really, although oil does give off heat when drying. So, I guess for most of my paintings, the only real difference would be if one gives off a lot more heat than the others. I’d hate to ignite whatever landfill they end up in just because I didn’t want to shell out a few extra bucks!

Nathan

snakum

“I’d hate to ignite whatever landfill they end up in just because I didn’t want to shell out a few extra bucks! “

ROFLMAO! :D

The (Bad) Monk

I hate to point out the obvious but boiled linseed oil is boiled linseed oil, cold-pressed alkali-processed linseed oil is about as different as it’s possible to get and have the same starting point! Think of it as the difference between peanut butter and the original peanuts…

Snakum although you’re very right in respect to some aspects of the materials we use – pigments being probably the best example as we are at the mercy of large-scale industrial users for what’s available, plain and simple – linseed oil production is carried out in different ways and on different scales for artists’ materials and other uses, kinda like the difference between extra-virgin olive oil and the normal stuff.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

the difference in grades of linseed oil rely on the processing of the flax seeds and “other” (weed) seeds. depending on quality, good quality linseed oil has more of a pure content of the flax seed. poor quality linseed oil has other seeds added…something similiar to food “additives” which will change the color slightly causing a “yellower” grade. given that the quanitites of the “other” seeds can’t be too high to be LINSEED OIL, i would just assume that the quality that you can get for 3 bucks would work. do those other seeds matter? if you’re a purest, sure.

i would also assume that this is also a hot pressed seed, which means that at the end of the process they use solvents to extract what is left. therefore the grade of oil is lower.

the best is cold pressed pure flax seed oil. if you can find that for 3 bucks…GREAT!

so for your 3 bucks you probably got a mixture of flax and weed seeds that was heat extracted. does it matter, probably not for mediums, however, i wouldn’t use this to make your own paints.

IMHO.

nam26b

Lori:

I didn’t actually buy the cheap stuff, but might when I run out of what I already have.

Realistically, though, I have now tried only 4 paintings, and the results have been pretty bad, so if there’s weed seed oil in the mi, I don’t think it’s going to hurt anything. I posted my latest masterwork (stil unfinished) for reference.

The original drawing, and then the painting (the part I have mostly finished) are below.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
                                              • The topic ‘Really cheap linseed oil’ is closed to new replies.