WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2002, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast
Northern New Jersey

Hails from United States
Question Paper ??

Hi all, Ok another ???????? Paper? For my first print I am using 140# cp wc paper. I just have to go to the Art store and get my ink for the second layer: What is better maybe HP cause it's smooth. Does it depend on the type of work you are doing. Does the paper have to be thick to stand up to the rubbing, it seems to me that if you used a thin paper it wouldn't take it. I know there is all kinds of textured paper out there, I guess you could use that too for certain applications?? This printmaking is very interesting, you can do alot of different things for sure. Very Cool

I look foward to your wisdom on this, Tony
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2002, 02:00 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
Tony, I think paper is an individual taste. I have worked on rice paper with block printing and it stood up well. Just put a sheet of news print on top before you do the rubbing. That gives your spoon or whatever other tool you use something smooth to slide on. You can even use a couple of sheets if you are worried. The thicker the paper the harder it is to rub and transfer the image IMHO if you are doing hand pulled prints. In a press it doesn't really matter that much because you have consistient pressure. I have printed on both smooth and rough textures, but when hand pulling I usually go for a smoother surface.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2002, 02:53 PM
Immortalized
there

good advice there
definitely rougher paper like well sized cold press would end up giving the look of texture to your piece, makes the transfer potentially more difficult, dampening the paper can help (barely damp) once again experimenting is good to find preference.
I've loved using thin rice paper and some thin papers are amazingly strong
some think papers are very pliable too, like 100% soft cotton rag paper, even the thick/rough sheets seem to pick up hand pulls like butta.
I've made my own relatively thick paper which is soft couched, cold 'pressed' and not sized and that picks up prints very well.

A suggestion is hitting the open paper stock bins at the art store and buying a little variety, keep notes on how things react and you'll hone in on faves I think.

Another point; Sassybird mentioned a spoon which is good though you get a horizontal pressure situation. A wooden doorknob that is fairly aged or at least new but moulded in a slight dome is a great pressing tool and you get a more vertical direct pressure on it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2002, 04:34 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
That is a great tip, ZOTMA, thanks I think it would be easier on the hand and wrist too.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2002, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast
Northern New Jersey

Hails from United States
Talking Thanks

Thanks alot, (Sas), I can see how the newsprint would save the surface when you are not using very strong paper. I am using the CP for this my first and we'll see what happens. (Zotma), I will try the dampened paper, just slightly damp. As far as a baren I don't have a doorknob, when I did the first layer I used the bottom of a heavy glass, I think it was a mixture of the textured tile and the surface of the paper that gave me the result I got, but I wanted texture anyway. I think I am going to try this old 3# hammer head I have the sides are rounded just perfect for this and for edges and tight places I can use the tapered back or the rounded flat front of the head. I had this thing for years and we use it for pounding out meat, chicken breasts, veal etc. it works great((( I sterilized it and polished it before we devoted it to that!

Thanks Tony
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2002, 06:26 PM
TN

Hails from United States
tony, 140# cold press watercolor paper is very heavy when it comes to printmaking. if you don'twant to go as thin as rice papers, and want something more like the watercolor paper that prints better , try BFRives printing paper, or Arches Cover. look in a catalog such as daniel smith, even dick blick has a supply of various printing papers if your local art store doesn't have any or can't tell you any thing about them.

i idid do a print ona fullsheet of the 140# cold press archeswatercolor paper, by using watercolor crayons very heavily on a piece of card stock and seriously dampening the watercolor paper before rubbing the print (i did this on a concrete floor, because my press isn't big enuff for the 22x30 sheet of paper. didn't turn out too bad, and learned from it. probably would have done better on a less textured paper! should have used printing papers like i suggested above............always learning!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast
Cleveland, Oh.,USA

Hails from United States
Another way to check out different printmaking papers is to order samples. New York Central Art Supply (prolly handy for you) and Rembrandt Graphics will both send (sell) you a booklet of all their printmaking papers for $7-8. If you spend $25 at Rembrandt and ask for the paper samples, they are free. They are small samples, with a list list on the cover of the booklet to identify the different papers.

Gisela

All original art work posted by this artist is protected by copyright and may not be copied or altered in any manner without the written consent of the artist.
Artworks by Gisela Towner
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2002, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast
Northern New Jersey

Hails from United States
Talking Paper

Hi Gisela, Yeah I have the NY Central Catalogs, I've never ordered from them before. They sell swatches of all there paper. That place has alot of stuff, and from what I see alot of specialty stuff. As for paper the one catalog is nothing but paper, I'll have to try them out, I am trying to avoid any CC purchases now.

Tony
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
Cedar Hill, Texas

Hails from United States
I use whatever paper is handy when I pull a test print and often those end up in one of my mixed media collages. I'ver printed on everything from handmade paper from India (too much texture gives limited results) to thin mulberry paper which gives great prints. The possibilities are limitless and like Sassybird said, it often boils down to personal taste. I have several brayers and I use a clean one as a print roller.
The Arches print paper I've used was unsized and gave a very interesting result in that the mositure from the ink raised the surface giving an embossed look.

www.marcasue.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Northern New Jersey

Hails from United States
Paper

Hi again, As I mentioned I am using 140# cp wc paper, I can see it was a mistake already, way to heavy. I also used ceramic tile for the first layer or background, I am pleased with that part. I fear that the design of 2 faces on top of this layer will not take to the paper very well, I am going to try to use alot of pressure to make it work. We'll see.

Thanks Tony
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Cedar Hill, Texas

Hails from United States
Question

Tony, it was very late when I replied last night and I think I was reacting more to the previous answers instead of your question. I don't think you should have the problems you anticipate. I have painted a watercolor background on postcard stock that is 140 lb c. p. watercolor paper then printed my image over it using Speedball watersoluble inks. As long as the lino-cut is well inked the print should come out fine.

www.marcasue.com

Last edited by msue : 01-11-2002 at 08:48 AM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Enthusiast
Northern New Jersey

Hails from United States
Mono Print

Hi MSue, I am doing a mono print with plexi glass as a plate, thats why I am concerned about the paper, there is no lino.

Thanks Tony