WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Enthusiast
cave creek, az

Hails from United States
Programming Bartlett Controller for Chili Pepper Annealer

I mentioned in a post a while back that I had detailed, step by step instructions on how to program the Chili Pepper Annealer with Bartlett controller and to email/PM me if anyone wanted them. I've had several requests throughout the year so I'm posting it here:

This looks hard, but it's not.

First I'll explain how the Bartlett controller programming works. You are allowed up to 8 segments....each segment has:

1. a ramp time (rA) (degrees per hour to get to a certain temperature);

2. Temperature (F); and

3. Hold time (HLd). (amount of time you want it to stay at that temperature).

You can have up to 4 programs (User 1, 2, 3 and 4). I currently have 2...one for batch annealing and one for garaging beads while I work and annealing when finished working.

Let's program first to have the kiln heat up for immediate use and garaging while you work. You will use 4 segments as follows:

1. Turn on the flip switch and press "ENTER". 'deLA' will show in the display;

2. Just press "ENTER" again until you get to the "SEG" (It is asking you how many segments you want);

3. Use the "UP" and "DOWN" key to choose "4". Press "ENTER";

4. "rA 1" will show. It is asking you for the first ramp speed. It wants to know how fast you want your kiln to heat up. I like the maximum but I entered "2000". Use the "UP" and "DOWN" arrows to get to 2000. Press "ENTER";

5. "F 1" (or C 1) will show. It wants to know what temperature you want the kiln to heat up to. This will be the temperature it holds at while you work. I use 950 degrees. Use the "UP" and "DOWN" arrows to get to 950 (or whatever you want). Press "ENTER";

6. "HLd1" will show. It wants to know how long you want to hold at that temperature. I have 10.00 hours in mine so it will stay there all day if I want. When you're done working you can bump it to the next segment so it doesn't have to say on for 10 hours. Use the "UP" and "DOWN" arrows to get to 10.00. Press "ENTER";

That is your first segment. To program the next segments I'll do it in shorthand, but follow the same steps:

Segment 2

7. "rA 2" = "400" degrees/hour ENTER

8. "F 2" = "960" degrees (soak temperature) ENTER

9. "HLd2" = "30" minutes (longer for larger beads=45-60 min) ENTER

Segment 3

10. "rA 3" = "346" degrees/hour ENTER

11. "F 3" = "850" degrees (strain point) ENTER

12. "HLd3" = "10" minutes ENTER

Segment 4

10. "rA 4" = "346" degrees/hour ENTER

11. "F 4" = "700" degrees (strain point) ENTER

12. "HLd4" = "0" minutes ENTER

Kiln will shut off at this point. Do not open it until beads are cool!! Or at least cool enough to handle.

To program for BATCH ANNEAL is similar but you put your beads in cold and the initial ramp time is significantly longer so the beads don't crack on the way up. You only need 3 segments because you won't have that 10 hour hold...unless you want it, you can program it for that. Here's the
schedule:

1. Turn on the flip switch and press "ENTER". 'deLA' will show in the display;

2. Just press "ENTER" again until you get to the "SEG" (It is asking you how many segments you want);

3. Use the "UP" and "DOWN" key to choose "3". (I believe this is 1.5 hours to full temp). Press "ENTER";

4. "rA 1" will show. It is asking you for the first ramp speed. It wants to know how fast you want your kiln to heat up. Use the "UP" and "DOWN"
arrows to get to 640. Press "ENTER" (640 degrees per hour);

5. "F 1" (or C 1) will show. It wants to know what temperature you want the kiln to heat up to. This will be the temperature it holds at while you work. Use the "UP" and "DOWN" arrows to get to 960 (soak temp). Press "ENTER";

6. "HLd1" will show. It wants to know how long you want to hold at that temperature. Use the "UP" and "DOWN" arrows to get to "30". (Longer for larger beads 45-60 min). Press "ENTER";

That is your first segment. To program the next segments I'll do it in shorthand, but follow the same steps:

Segment 2

10. "rA 2" = "346" degrees/hour ENTER

11. "F 2" = "850" degrees (strain point) ENTER

12. "HLd2" = "10" minutes (longer for larger beads=45 min) ENTER

Segment 3

10. "rA 3" = "346" degrees/hour ENTER

11. "F 3" = "700" degrees (strain point) ENTER

12. "HLd3" = "0" minutes. ENTER

Once you have a program in to use the kiln you turn on the flip switch and the display will probably show ErrP. If you want to use the schedule you used last time it was on, hit the DOWN ARROW and Sstp will show. Press it again and it will go through the schedule you entered. When it say REDI, press ENTER and it will start to heat up.

If you want to choose a different schedule, turn on the flip switch and ErrP will show. Use the up and down arrows to choose the User Program you want and press ENTER again. dELA will show 00:00. Press ENTER through each setting until REDI shows and Press ENTER and it will start.

If you are garaging your beads...when you're done working hit the UP key and then again when SStP is showing and it will start to ramp to anneal. It will shut off when it's done. (I think this step might have changed with the newer controllers but it will be in your instructions).
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Hess. Oldendorf, Germany

Hails from Germany
Re: Programming Bartlett Controller for Chili Pepper Annealer

Hi Lori,

Thanks so much for posting this. I don't have a Bartlett on my Chili Pepper, I've got an Orton and it is just a bit different but similar enough that these instructions were all I needed to help me get it programmed correctly.

You're the best! Thank you!
My Webstore
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Hess. Oldendorf, Germany

Hails from Germany

Oops, I also meant to give this thread 5 stars, so hopefully it won't get lost
My Webstore
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Planet Norka ( Akron, OH )

Hails from United States

I don't think I could thank you enough for this post. I just got my Chili Pepper kiln yesterday, and after reading the owner's manual, I was beginning to think that programming this thing might be a pain in a series of tender and unmentionable places, lol! I do believe you have just saved me a ton of time and sanity. Thanks again!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Houston

Hails from United States

Hi, Lori!

Thanks for this great tutorial! I am wondering, however, if the programming would be same regardless of what kind of kiln the Bartlett is on? I have an AIM 85BD (I think) purchased from KilnWest at least two years ago and (due to a couple of surgeries), I have never even plugged it in!

I've started making beads again, but I can only sit there for short periods of time, so I plan to just batch anneal. I saved up for that kiln for a long time, so I feel really stupid for not using it!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast
Poetry, TX...

Hails from United States

Hi Betsy,

I also have an AIM kiln (94BD) and I have yet a different digital controller but I used these directions to program mine. The segments are the same as what is listed, but my book uses different short words for Error, Complete, ect.

I bet you won't have any problem.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 AM

I just bought a Chili Pepper and the gal forgot to send the manual. This got me started right away. I thank you sincerely, for taking the time to write this out.