WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Question Attaching canvas to a wood frame?

Hi all,

I apologize if this is already addressed somewhere but I couldn't seem to find it in this forum. Perhaps because it is too simple and basic a question.

I have completed a painting, and found a wood frame I want to put it in, but I'm not sure how to attach the picture to the frame. Nor the best way to hang the frame on the wall.

I have a 16"x20" canvas (the kind stuck to a wood frame) and I have a wooden frame, also 16"x20". The frame is one of those ones that does not have any glass and is open at the back. The canvas sits in the frame pretty snug so I probably don't really need anything to keep the canvas in the frame, but since I am planning on hanging this picture on the wall, I wanted to know the best way to turn the painted canvas and the frame into a completed picture ready for hanging.

Incidentally, the canvas does stick out from the back of the frame a little bit, but only 1/2" or so and it doesn't look ridiculous against the wall. Any tips for how to mount the frame to the wall if the frame doesn't actually touch the wall?

I have a framing kit which has various hooky-things and wire.

I hope that makes sense.

K

We can't all be heros. Someone has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2005, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Driffield, East Yorkshire, UK

Hails from England
Re: Attaching canvas to a wood frame?

Hi Karen,

It's not a silly question at all.

First of all the picture should not be a snug fit in the frame. You need about a 2mm gap between the picture and frame all round to allow for all the components to expand and contract, or you may well find your frame coming to pieces.

There are special clips for holding this type of picture in the frame. Some are offset clips, or spring clips that screw to the back of the frame and go over the back of the picture. Others are clips that sit inside the frame between the picture and frame.
The overhang at the back is not a problem.

You can use "screw eyes" or "D" rings screwed to the back of the frame with wire between them. They need to be placed about 1/3 down from the top of the frame. It is also a good idea to put small felt bumper pads on the bottom corners where the picture touches the wall.

Hope this helps.
If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe. -Abraham Lincoln
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 10:30 AM
Key West, Florida

Hails from United States

I'm so glad to see this question asked. Mick, do you have a picture of the framing you described. I need a "visual" to see how the canvas is held in place (to the frame). If I go to an arts and crafts store, will they know what I'm talking about if I ask for "offset or spring clips". If you don't have a picture, can you described in detail how to attach. I'm getting ready to submit a painting for a show and they require that the painting be framed. I have my own open back frame (like Kaynaydian described). Thanks for your help!!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from England

Hi Linda,
There is a picture here of spring clips:-http://tinyurl.com/cfjcp
Offset clips are here :-http://tinyurl.com/dohhc
Both are screwed to the frame and clip over the back of the canvas.
If the canvas is below the back of the frame, framers tabs / points can be used. These are the tabs /points used to hold the backing in a frame containing art on paper.
hope this helps
If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe. -Abraham Lincoln
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Key West, Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks! Being able to see what these clips looked like really helped with my visualization and understanding. Unfortunately, if you can believe this, they are no where to be found in Key West. Imagine that in a little artsy town such as this! So the site you sent is going to be helpful because I'm going to have to order them!! I found something at the hardware store that looked similar so I'm going to try and see if they work in the meantime (I have to submit my artwork tomorrow)! Thanks again!!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from England

Hi Linda,
Perhaps your local framer would sell you some if you smile sweetly
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2007, 03:06 AM

Hi Mick,

I thought I would pick your brain on how to attach canvas to a round or oval frame. I have done one and it is ok but it does have a few little creases around the side I have tidied the back up with little 2" pieces of masking tape over the staples. Is this the right way. Here it is painted and sold but I do not like the creases around the edges. How do I stop this from happening again.
Best Regards
Patricia
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from England

Hi Patricia,

First of all ditch the masking tape it is not needed and will fall off in a short space of time anyway, probably leaving a sticky mess.

The small creases round the edge are just about imposible to get rid of totally. This is not a problem when the picture is framed in an oval frame as the rebate will hide them.

Looks good to me, nice piece of work.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

I hope you don't mind that I resurrected this thread. I'm going to hope that Michael's or Hobby Lobby have some of those off-set clips. Thanks for the tips on that. I'm wondering, however, what is used to for the 2mm gap between painting edges and frame? Also, some of my paintings are not fitting well into the ready-made glass-less, backless frames I purchased for them. Too snug! I'm afraid I'm going to scrape and scratch the painting just getting them in the frame. Is there a solution for this problem?

The paintings are 16" x 20" on wrapped canvas. Edges are 3/4" deep.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from England

Hi Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtree
I'm wondering, however, what is used to for the 2mm gap between painting edges and frame?

There needs to be a small gap ie. 2mm to allow for expansion/contraction of the artwork and frame due to changes in temperature and humidity.

Quote:
some of my paintings are not fitting well into the ready-made glass-less, backless frames I purchased for them. Too snug!

If you are talking about "Floater frames", you need quite a large gap (25+mm) between the side of the frame and artwork to achieve the floating effect. Also no art should ever be a snug fit in the frame as the art and/or the frame stand a very good chance of being damaged by expansion/contraction.

The only solution to your problem I am afraid is to re-stretch the canvas or use a larger frame.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-20-2008, 07:59 PM
A Local Legend
Southern Michigan

Hails from United States

Thank you Mick!

I appreciate your speedy response as I'm working like mad right now to frame about 15 painting for an upcoming show. I'm still curious about what is used to create the 2mm gap? Or is it just supposed to have that much play between the edges of the canvas and the frame?

Nope, not floating frames; just regular wooden, open frames that are designed for canvas paintings. I'm a little alarmed that there isn't a solution other than a re-stretching of the canvas as I don't have the time or skill for that. Seems my only other option is to buy different frames (sigh). I may take the painting(s) with me to the store so they can try them on for size. Guess I should have done that to begin with.

I've been painting about 3 years but have not done much framing (as you may have guessed). Thanks for all your help with this!

Elizabeth

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from England

Hi Elizabeth,

The 2mm is an arbitrary measurement used by most framers, as the art must not be a tight fit in the frame. This applies to all art no matter what the medium.

When we make frames we build this gap into the frame design taking our measurements directly from the art we are framing. Canvases can very in size depending on how they are stretched, and "standard" sizes are not all the same and can vary quite a lot depending on the manufacturer. Good quality ready made frames should have an allowance built in.