WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 04:37 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom
The Colour Pencil Recipe Book

• How many times have you surprised yourself when creating a painting to find that using a particular colour made the whole painting zing?
  • How many times have you wondered what colours people used to create a particular effect?
  • And who can ever remember what they used after they've finished or where the recipe is that your fellow artist provided at the time?
THIS THREAD IS A RECIPE BOOK - the recipes are about which colours you used to create a particular effect. It's for making a note of "how I did this" - in terms of which colour pencils you used (brands and colours) - which you and other members of the forum can access easily in future.

So, when you've done something you're pleased with post the recipe in this thread. Create a record of your colour pencil recipe by doing the following:
  • decide what to call your recipe eg "golden labrador fur" and use this title prominently at the beginning of your post. Ideally make it bold.
  • state the CP brand used and make a list of all the colours used for the subject matter. Ideally differentiate between brands and colours if you're using a mix of bands. If the recipe is just for e.g. Labrador fur, you needn't provide all the colours used for other parts of the image unless you want to. If you do make this clear (eg background is.......). You might also want to indicate which colour you used a lot or all over and which were just used a little or in specific sections of the work.
  • include a small image of the work in question
  • include a link to the relevant thread if the recipe relates to a work completed in this forum - particularly if this gives a better idea of the sequence of colours in a WIP. PM me if you don't know how to create a link.
You could also include references to the page numbes of published CP recipes included in the standard CP instruction books we all use - that'll save all those times when you know there's a recipe for something somewhere.....but just can't remember where! Skin tones and Ann Kullberg's book spring to mind as a frequent request and response which comes up in this forum.

If you want to dig out all the details from a thread posted in the CP Library I suggest you contact the thread 'owner' first who may or may not be grateful that you want to include their recipes in this thread! You can suggest a recipe which should be added though and reference a thread where the information is.

If we get loads of colour pencil recipes then I'll have a little think about we can best organise them so that they can be accessed easily. Let's see how this thread progresses first.

And all credit to Nicole who generated the idea for this thread by asking whether anybody wanted her mushroom couch recipe? So, whether it's mushroom couchs, golden labradors or grass, post your recipes here for the general interest and further education of forum members.

Get cooking!
Katherine
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 AM
A Local Legend
London

Re: The Colour Pencil Recipe Book

There I am posting this new thread and there's Gayle doing her cat on black paper and posting colour recipes at the same time! So I PMd here and here is her reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenspey
Katherine you're brilliant.
I can never remember what I've used once I've finished a particular work and am too lazy to note it down most of the time. I do write on the edges of my paper but of course once framed, gone.
I'm useless at links but you might like to include my cats eye, I remember detailing all the colours, and in my unfinished Zebra's(Bottoms Up, I think the thread was) I detailed how I make black.
I will add this fur when I've finished.
So I'll make sure we add colour recipes from both those threads into this thread.

Anybody wanting to add tips about how you keep records of colours used while you're doing a painting please also add comments.

Personally I keep a all the colours used in a mug - which makes it really easy to carry said pencils around if I want to move rooms - but can make for some confusion if I've got more than one painting on the go using similar colours.

Cheers
Katherine
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 09:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I must be a disorganized nut. I don't keep track. And of course, sometimes I have to correct a layer that was a mistake, lol.

I'm sure I will learn a lot from you organized folks! Great idea, Katherine!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 10:40 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico

Hails from United States

UGH! I'm up on a Sunday morning, and on WC BEFORE coffee......sheeze I am so addicted to this place.

What a phenominal idea....this is one that will have to be rated for sure. Great suggestion Nicole and Katherine. You two are putting out a synergistic energy here. Good job.

Katherine your idea of the coffee mug is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for that one. Now if I just don't poke my eye out, I'll be fine.

I am one who never keeps notes also. I shall mend my ways forthwith. (Of course bear in mind that I am promising this on a mind that has not had its normal caffeine stimulation yet this morning.)

I did copy Nicole's recipe to a word doc and intended to purloin all good recipes I found from that point on. But you two took it to a better level. Good on you for that.

Let's all don't forget to rate this as we go!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 10:58 AM
A Local Legend
London

Weezy and Robin - thank you for the kind words.

Here's the first recipe - by Gayle

Blacks and greys - without using black or greys Glenspey / April 2004

Blacks and greys are created using:
  • prismas in cloud blue,deco orange, periwinkle, pumpkin orange, grape and indigo and
  • polychromos blue violet and pine green.

Thread links: Bottoms Up - in Animal and Wildlife Forum and Bottoms Up - in the CP Forum
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 12:18 PM
Lord of the Arts
Torrance, Caifornia

Hails from United States

Wow! Now I know I have to keep tract of what Im doing, I just reach and if it looks like the color I am needing at the time I just jump in and use the pencil. Sometimes I will write what Im using on the side of the paper and like Katherine I put the pencils that I am using on a particular painting in a tub so its there when I go back.

will promise to do better.

Rosa
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 12:38 PM
A Local Legend
London

Next recipe from Gayle - this is from the fur tutorial which is in the CP Library , link here Eye Spy II - including Fur Tutorial. Although this post includes extracts from the thread concerned, I cannot emphasise too much that you need to read it in full to understand how Gayle uses the colours. All the words are Gayles but the underlining (to show area of fur the colours apply to) is mine.

Cat fur Glenspey / November 2004

I have started working on the eye socket. I first looked for the shiny areas and put down a thick layer of white. I then used beige, raw umber, dark brown, sepia and dark umber in that order to build the depth. I added indigo and black in the darkest areas and then picked up my light spots with another layer of white. I have added indigo blue to the right of the eye socket and then Black Grape throughout the socket, I am not really following the reference for colours, I know how I want it to end up and work to that end.

I have started building the fur in beige and raw umber. There are three diffenent areas here :-
1. The close fur on the side of the nose: For the nose I do short strokes which overlap, I have used beige, light and dark peach, raw umber and dark brown, I am using them together rather than one layer of each, I will keep going until I achieve the depth.
2.The longer eyebrow fur: I have used a beige base and then I have drawn in some hairs with dark brown, I will continue to build on this but this first layer defines where I'm going.
3.The denser dark stripe: I need it broken up by lighter fur so, after the beige basecoat I have done longer looser strokes of raw umber and dark brown which don't overlap. [next stage] I've darkened the dark stripe using raw umber, dark brown, sepia and dark umber, leaving the area's I want to have lighter fur.

Nostrils / nose: I have layered black grape in the nostrils and round the edge of the nose, layered cream and peach over the fleshy areas.

This is the nose, dark umber, indigo, paynes grey and black in the nostril, light peach, blush pink, dark peach, a little golden rod, henna and then more of the same on the fleshy part.

I have started working the chest fur in, I need to do it at the same time as the jaw to see how the colours interact. I don't want the chest to compete with the head so my strokes are all light and much longer as the fur is longer. I am working with white to lighten some areas then, cloud blue, clay rose and celedon green, in no particular order just keeping on layering.

NB Essentially from this point on the tutorial is essentially about how to use the colours rather than the colours used. The basic message being 'more of the same'. Again, as stated at the beginning, please refer to Gayle's wonderful tutorial in the CP Library for more detail.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 01:02 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

Hi, Katherine--great idea--I was planning on doing this here in the real world but this is much, much better.

I am not a guide assigned to this forum but I would like to make a suggestion that you contact the moderator and have this thread stickied so that people can find it to add their recipes with relative ease. Otherwise the effort will be lost when it sinks 20,000 leagues beneath the sea of threads.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 01:19 PM
A Local Legend
London

Thanks Jay D - I thought it was pretty neat idea too although I have Nicole to thank for calling it a recipe as I think it was that which triggered the idea.

I'll PM Val and suggest she keeps an idea on it and stickies it should it start to fall off the first page - and then when we've plundered all of our memory banks for where on earth we kept all those little notes with the colours on it can go to the CP Library.

Katherine
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Maine

Hails from United States

This is such a great idea!

War Beast or Rhino skin.

I used closeups of rhino and elephant skin as reference so this should work just as well for those.

This recipe requires a colored surface. I used gotham gray strathmore artagain paper but other grey-brown papers or paper toned with cp or watercolor should work too.

Prismas used:
- French Grey 90%
- White
- Light Umber
- Sienna Brown
- Indigo
- Peach
- Blush Pink

1) Defined the shape of the wrinkles by using French Grey 90% in the crevasses and White over the highlights.
2) Added Peach and Blush Pink to the softer areas of skin such as around the eyes, mouth, and ears.
3) I used a light wash of Light Umber over all but the brightest highlight, darkening the wash around the darker areas. Then added a light Sienna Brown wash over the pinker areas such as the ears. I used a combination of blending stump and colorless blender to smooth everything out.
4) Indigo Blue and French Grey 90% were used to bring out the darkest shadows and more white was used to brighten highlights.

Ooops, nearly forgot the picture.
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 02:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Virginia

Hails from United States

Great thread Katherine! Remember everyone to 'rate the threads' (5-stars) of those you find most helpful, then we'll be able to add the thread to the CP Library, so we can find it again when we need it. Val
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 02:55 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

This definitely a 10 sheltie thread so come on everybody lets rate this puppy--I'm doing it now!!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Immortalized
Middle of Nowhere, Virginia

Hails from United States

OK, I figured I'd add my "Midas" piece since he used such a weird combination of colors.

RECIPE FOR PALOMINO HORSES:

All in Prismacolors:

Underpainted first with

- Violet

For shadows:
- Crimson Red
- Crimson Lake
- Dark Purple
- Indigo Blue
- Dark Brown

For mid-range areas:
- Crimson Red
- Burnt Ochre
- Goldenrod
- Spanish Orange
- Yellow Ochre
- Bronze
- Sienna Brown

Lightest areas:
- Burnt Ochre
- Goldenrod
- Yellow Ochre
- Beige
- French Gray 20%
- Bronze

What surprised me in this piece was how much of it was actually defined with the reds. The yellows and light colors played a very minimal part.

Great idea for a thread, Katherine! Once it gets big enough it should be really helpful.
Attached Images

#14   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Immortalized
Middle of Nowhere, Virginia

Hails from United States

Darn! I forgot two important ingredients for my palomino. Orange and Pale Vermillion. Used very liberally!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2005, 03:51 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

bring to a boil then quickly turn back then stir occassionally.