WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > All Media Art Events
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
WC! Guide
Westbroek, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Lightbulb WDE Images are here august 5th

Well folks,

Sorry, I'm a bit early, but I cannot wait any longer!

Here are the pictures. Please do not comment in this thread until all (18) pictures are posted.

1. a very old Late Gothic church from the 14th century. I took this photo from my hobbyroomwindow.

2. an old mill. It's called De Kraai which means The Crow. Until about 10 years ago it was still working.

3. Westbroek, view on our village. This is a typical traditional Dutch landscape.

4. Wetlands, rare protected area's, almost unique in the world (I think besides us only in Poland ). They were used in the past to collect peat. The water well up through the ground.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 01:38 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Netherlands
Re: WDE Images are here august 5th

5. Pollarded willows, also typically Dutch.

6. An old willow on our grounds, fallen but not dead.

7. pear blossom (we planted some appletrees and peartrees last year.)

8. hydrangea in our garden.

8a. a rose (squeezed in at the last moment)

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 01:43 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Netherlands

9. Cows, right behind our house.

10. Stork in our garden. We have a lot of storks in our neighbourhood. Sometimes we have up to 10 storks sitting (and ****ting) on our roof.

11. Rowdy and Hedwig. My youngest son and daughter, about 16 years ago. Hedwig had cut her own hair at the time, so I had to cut it very short in order to have it look decent again.

12. statue in bronze in our garden.

13. stone cat between weeds in our garden (you know I don't have green fingers)

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 01:51 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from Netherlands

14. A huge arty thing (larger then I am) which DH and I made of left over bricks of our house and some old gardengatepoles. In the larger spaces between the bricks, there are succulents. This spring some birds were brooding in it.

15. Korfbal. Which means basketball, only it's very different (We have basketball also). It's also very Dutch. Almost every village has it's own korfbalclub. It's the only mixed teamsport in the world. It's played with two teams, each excisting of 4 boys and 4 girls. This is our local club, with my eldest son in the orange shirt.

16. Small Woodpile against our barn.

17. bicyclists. We have more bikes then people here. From the age of 4 everybody cycles till their dying day. Big groups of cyclists go to school every day and of course we have a lot of recreationcyclers. Holland is perfect for them, because we have a lot of special paths for them, and Holland is very flat.

18. As you know I made a selfportrait early this year. I would love to see yours!!! So please make me a selfportrait.

Sorry the numbers don't match anymore. I squeezed in an extra picture, because I feared the images weren't interesting enough.

Well that's it. I hope you have fun with these. I look forward to seeing what you make of these!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
Knoxville, TN

Hails from United States

These are great Connie! (Can you tell I've been sitting here waiting??) I've already got a couple I want to do - and maybe I'll even tempt fate and try the self-portrait, too...I've been putting it off!!! Thanks!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 01:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Burns Lake, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

Not interesting enough???!! Hardly the case...they are WONDERFUL!! Thank you for hosting Connie!

My grandkids are just on their way here, so we will be a bit delayed in getting started, but we shall return!!

Lorna Hannett.com
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:01 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Connie,
These are wonderful! You certainly live in a beautiful place - I can't believe the views you have right from your own home. Love the cows!! Love the stone cat! Love the church! Adorable children. Hmmm...self- portrait? I don't think I'm anywhere ready for that but I think it was a great idea to throw in the WDE. Thanks for posting early - I will print 1 - 2 to take with me on vacation - packing tonight!
Barbara
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
On the other side of the Brazos near Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Great photos, Connie! My kids are gone - (FINALLY....) and we're back from holiday in Costa Rica, so I'll be joining in this weekend, once I'm home from work.

Oil Pastel Society
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Lord of the Arts
Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

You have beautiful pictures Connie. I waited for it. It is a challence to do someting of my own country. I will do my best for you.

My Blog Joanna's Art
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:24 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

i couldnt wait either, so i was just kinda checking in at 1;30 my time... and THERE YOU WERE!!!.... they're WONderful.... i have 4 i LOVE and will try to get to tomorrow.... tell me the good looking orange shirt far LEFT is your son....yes? .... does this have to be a NEW self portrait?? i think that might be a good idea... i just submitted to "secret self portrait".... hmmmmm... let me know.............. GREAT shots, and thanx for inviting us along!! Kory
"An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl she used to be. A great artist can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is... and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be..." R. Heinlein via Jubal Harshaw re LaBelle Heaulmiere by Rodin
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 02:48 PM
A Local Legend
Grand Haven, MI U.S.A.

Hails from United States

Great photos... lots of interesting choices. This is going to take me some time which I won't have until Sunday... Have to narrow it down some as there are several that got my attention.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 03:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northumberland, England

Hails from England

Lovely images and so full of atmosphere- boring sheesh have faith Connie.
BTW we have peat bogs or wetlands here - in fact they found a prehistoric man in them quite a few years ago and of course called him Pete (Peat) lol.
If my memory serves me right he had been garotted and was perfectly preserved. They were even able to examine his stomach contents.
I believe it was down south but it was a good few years that I did this topic in History! Must be 30 years ago now lol.
Hmm self portrait - that will scare the birds. Decisions decisions oh and how marvellous you shared the cows with us - love them all.
"So much to paint and so little time..."
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 04:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Rochester, NY, USA

Hails from United States

Connie, THANKS for the great pics! It's such a pleasure to get a glimpse of life in a different place. My family has Dutch heritage form way back, so I've always been interested in Holland.

I have to work all weekend so I don't know if I'll get to these, but I'll really try!

KimDenise.com
photography
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Victoria, BC

Hails from Canada

Wonderful pics Connie!!! Thank you so much for hosting this week!

There are a few that I'd like to attempt, but I think the first one will be the self-portrait. I've been meaning to give it a go for a little while now. Okay, so if anyone had happened by my house this morning I'm sure they would have phoned to have me committed! There I was, sitting by the window taking snapshots of myself. More difficult than it sounds! I kept chopping off my chin or getting nostril shots!!! I think I finally managed to get a couple I can work from, but it won't be until later this evening. Oldest dd just dropped in and I haven't seen her for a couple of weeks, so we must have a visit and I've got a few other commitments before I'm free.

I'm so excited! I can't wait to get at it!!!

"The future belongs to those who believe in their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States

Decisions, decisions. So many good choices, I don't know where to start. Thanks for showing us your part of the world.