WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 09:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada
Special For Lady Carol

I did this alla prima but I will show you how I did it. I took the image from the thread catching a few last rays and decided to make another of my mug series using it as a reference. So Carol, here we go.
First I start with a blank canvas .. just in case you thought I started out with a printout LOL and then I squeeze out colors (dix purple, quin violet, prussian blue, indian yellow, cad yellow light, perm green, olive green, titan white) I will use and mix a little of something to draw with. Usually a light shade of the dominant or in that family anyway and sometimes I use the opposite of the dominant.

Then I mark off my mug area .. one line down the middle and two equal sides. I do a quick cartoon line sketch for placement. This is done by eye as I'm not measuring (like I should). I just look and approximate. Matter of fact, the mug and flowers I am making up as I go. I am using the window from the former painting. I'm also reversing the image (mirro image on PC).

I then mix up a light shade of the color I am going to start with. In this case it's going to be the glass reflections on the window.
I'll pick this up tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wayne Gaudon : 08-03-2005 at 09:47 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
Re: Special For Lady Carol

Wayne: you are a tease

Thanks for taking my comments to heart. I will be sure to check back tomorrow....

Will I be able to sleep tonight?
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 01:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

will any of us be able to sleep
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 AM
Adopted city Bangkok,Thailand

Will be watching too, always wonder how do you paint: so good and so fast, thanks Wayne.

To do in what you love is freedom and to love in what you do is happiness......writer unknown
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

GOSH, I've been waiting and waiting...WHEW...I'm going to bed... I'll check back tomorrow! heehee... Can't wait to see more Wayne!!! Krysta
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada

I then just quickly wash in the window and while washing in the window I mix in a few of the colors I want to see. I am working a purple and green main color scheme so I'm using both in the window but more green than purple. It's a real quick wash in and I don't even care if I cover over all the support. IE.. those dreaded white spots of canvas showing through. I don't care at this point. I also make a note of working some of the color into the mug. Again, I don't care about percision of flow. It's a quick mop and glow. LOL

What I do care about is how this wash will affect the other items and that being the flower. As it will be the center of attraction and it will be yellow, I surround that flower area with tints of purple. That will make the yellow show off more. As you can see I splatted in some yellow wash over the flowers as well.

Then I am on to the darks. I mix a good dark using quin violet, purple, blue, green, but remembering to leave quin violet as the dominant. By adding colors togeather I can get a great dark and more opaque. When I mix I just figure what I want and I add till I get there. If you are not sure it's best to mix a small amount before you try to make a big puddle.

If you want a straight edge you use some sort of straight stick and hole it off the canvas. You can then pull your brush (handle on the edge of the stick) and get a real decent straight line. Of course the lighter the touch the straighter the line and you can't be lean on the paint. It must flow. I'm not after perfection but I want it to look like a window edge. LOL

Again, as I lay in my darks I keep working that mug. As you can see I work around the painting, not really finishing anything but touching everything.

In hind sight I should have put in the proper value for the flower. The reason for that is simple. I put all the darks in and then the yellow. As we know, each color added changes how we perceive the other colors so when I put in the pure yellows, my darks around the shadow area of the sill were too dark and I had to change them. I could have saved myself time and effort by applying a good size of the proper value in the flower before I added the shadows. (knocking myself in the head so I will remember for future).

Oh well, it's 4:55 am and I am off to work. I will add more when I get home this afternoon.

BTW .. thanks for looking and I do hope you find it interesting. sorry about the quality of the pics but I did this with brush in one hand and camera in the other.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wayne Gaudon : 08-04-2005 at 05:01 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 06:51 AM
A WC! Legend
My part of the universe

Hails from United States

Wayne:
Good to see your ways of putting the paint down!!! Awaiting the finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Fascinating, thoroughly fascinating. Already it is cohesive and it is a long way from being finished.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Can't wait to see more!!! Can you share what's in the 2 jars- one is water obviously- couldn't tell if the other is water or something else.
Thanks so much for sharing!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 09:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada

I'm open to any and all questions.

Carol .. what do you mean a long way from finished. Don't you like the raw appeal. LOL
PS .. I don't do all paintings in the same manner. Some are more direct than others but this is how I did this particular piece. I will in class try to do one that is just plain direct: see it, find the color, lay it down, leave it alone.

Decor .. one is a spray bottle .. clean water .. and the other is just the jar I use to clean my brush .. I'm one of those dirty brush painters .. up to this point I've used only two brushes and that because of size, not color.

When I want to apply a little water to the color I use it from the spray. I spay heavy in some clean spot and move my paint mixture over to it.

Surprised no one questioned the palette. Glass over 4 different values of gray. .. Sometimes if I want to keep to 3 or 4 values I can mix over the value area of the palette and keep my colors in the values dictated. I made 10 value boards and I can use different arrangements depending on how I want to play. Almost like musical scales or chords if you will. C F G in chords can play a song in harmony and 3,5,7 in values can make an interesting harmony as well.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 10:02 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

LOL!!! No raw does not appeal much, but looking forward to the finale.

It is an interesting palette. I didn't notice the different values of grey beneath. I just assumed that the palette was dirty
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 10:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada

Quote:
I just assumed that the palette was dirty

.. tell me again, why I like you
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Yea- I just "saw" the grays on the pallette for the first time as well. Very cool. Great idea!!!!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
South Carolina

Hails from United States

can't wait for the next step!!!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia