WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2005, 03:31 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Waterworks - WIP

Hi everyone,

One of the several projects I've been burdened with lately is my own personal quest to get another local drawing done to have prints made, and get them into the shops before Musikfest starts on August 5th. (Musikfest is a 9 day music festival here in Bethlehem that attracts close to 100 thousand people a day. Aside from Christmas time.. this is a nice opportunity to capitalize on the tourism.)

This is of the very first public waterworks systems in the country. It was built in 1754 and pumped water through pipes made of hollowed logs. This structure is one of Bethlehem's "pride and joy's" and is well preserved. It was restored in 1976, and is an American Water Landmark, an Historic Civil Engineering Landmark and a National Historic Landmark.

I'm not doing this drawing because it's getting torn down or to save it's memory, or anything like that... I'm doing it to make money! This is a favorite of the local "print buying public".

I started it yesterday and this is what I have so far, after about 7 hours. (I'm rushing it a bit ) It's also smaller then I usually go.. this image size is 8 x 11. I went this size to accomodate an 11 x 14 mat/frame size. And of course it's ink!.. 00 tech pen on cold press illustration board.

btw - This is the first I used this pen since my city block drawing. I had unintentionally left ink in it, and I had no problems with it drying out. I just picked it up and started drawing.. after 4 weeks or so. I'm always hearing of others having problems with tech pens.. maybe I'm just lucky..

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Crystal Lake, IL

Hails from United States
Re: Waterworks - WIP

This is great. Can't wait to see what it looks like completed.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2005, 06:14 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States

Good start, Dave. I am looking forward to watching this one develop.

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 PM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Wow Dave, you are doing it again -- one of those types of scenes that I love to bits, and your work is perfection as usual. I'm looking so forward to seeing updates, and am glad to know you are managing to get something done for the Musikfest.

Val.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2005, 10:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Bismarck, ND

Hails from United States

Woo Hoo!! A WIP with scribble trees!!! I envy you your historical community...you are surrounded by such wonderful subjects!!! This one will be another beauty, for sure!! Thanks for the close-ups and keep 'em coming!!

my website
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 10:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Awesome brickwork Dave Pulling up a chair
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 10:37 AM
new jersey

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Waterworks - WIP

Dave great job your work is outstanding. I am joining Firemans kid for Musikfest and will search out your drawing. Where will it be in a gallery or one of the stores or in a booth. Fireman (Bob)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 12:40 PM
Mesa, AZ

Hails from United States

Looking very good Dave, I'm sure you'll do well.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 01:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Thank you all for your kind words! They're very much appreciated.

Fireman Bob, Hello! Thanks for the compliment. These will be in the Moravian Bookshop (in the Moravian room), as well as my other prints. You may also find them in Topsy Turvy as well (another shop up the street). Moravian Bookshop buys my stuff outright at wholesale.. Topsy Turvy does consignment (yuk )

Mel - Yeah buddy!.. the scribble trees are comin!

update

Between last night and this morning, I got another 8 hrs or so in. I finished the stone work and most of the grass. (I hate saving the grass for last)

.. and here's your close-up guys!

Here you can see I did the grass by doing a complete layer of short lines drawn in rows. I then go over it again with some subtle cross-hatching to add texture, values, and shadows. I purposely left a portion undone so you could see the difference.

And here is a better look at the structure.

Thanks for looking!

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 02:36 PM
Bismarck, ND

Hails from United States

Looks wonderful!!! Now, when you do a scene like this, I assume you aren't doing the whole front elevation/blueprint etc.? Do you just sketch it up then or how do you come up with the line drawing?? Thanks for the explanation of your grass technique...it looks great!!!

my website
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast
Powys, Wales

Hails from Wales

Another beautiful drawing Dave.....progress looking good for your deadline.
Are your printers on standby

Looking forward to the finish.

Take the time to reflect....as your latest would-be masterpiece lies in the bin.... art is not a matter of life and death..... it's much more serious than that!.
(acknowledgements to Bill Shankly)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Thanks Mel! and you are correct.. no blueprints on this one! I do an initial freehand sketch to get the basic shape of the building, then follow the roof/wall/window lines to help me find the natural vanishing point. I then use that VP to "fix" my initial sketch. After the building, I sketch in the background stuff. One time-saver I've found is that I don't cut my illustration board to size before I begin. Instead, I leave it much larger and begin my drawing in the center and trim the edges down when I'm done. I used to spend a great deal of time trying to center my drawing on the board.. duh! Also.. trimming the board afterwards gets rid of the banged up edges that always seem to get somewhat soiled.

Dave - Thank you! And no, I haven't notified the printer yet, but I'm not worried - they love me there! They'll definitely hook me up!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2005, 10:55 PM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

WOW, this is looking super Dave -- you have some wonderful buildings in Bethlehem for this kinda work -- you make me SO envious Every part of this piece has things in it that I go nuts over, such as stonework (and bricks), scribble trees, grass and so it just goes on, and makes me feel nuttier with every drawing you do like this.

It will be a big seller for the Musikfest.

Val.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2005, 10:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Fantastic, Dave. I'm sure it will do well. I sure do miss seeing old buildings like this everywhere. . .
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Val, thank you! Yes, this has all the yummy ingredients needed.. and look.. I'm even using a bit of stipple!!!

Monica, thanks, I'm glad you like it. Mel mentioned earlier about the landmarks I have in my area.. and trust me - I do not take it for granted.. I truly appreciate my location (and having all these cool buildings to draw).

btw - not to rub it in, but most of these landmarks are within a mile of my house.

Well, I gotta get back to work. I'm doin the scribble trees! (fun, fun, fun!) I should have an update later today or this evening.