WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air > Plein Air Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-01-2006, 10:59 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States
Re: Wet Panel Carrier cheap and fast to assemble...

Bob, I'm so glad you've bumped this thread up. I've moved it to the Plein Air Hall of Fame...'Another one of Marc's great ideas.

Jamie
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

If you want something a little more durable and almost as light, you can use gator board instead of foam board. I think instead of paper on the sides, they use something stronger.

Don
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2006, 10:03 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Neat idea!!!

Quote:
There is no problem so big that it can't be solved with either duct tape or flowers.

ROFL!
www.anitamurphyart.com
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2006, 08:53 PM
gloucester, ma

Hails from United States

GREAT JOB.
looks like another night of building again. just finished my modification of my
9"x13" mabef box into a pochade box with the help of brianc lemonhead and others. so i look forward to this project.
OH YEAH! I ALSO HAVE A DUCT POND IN MY BACKYARD
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-art
Marc,

Thanks for a great idea. Had more 1/8" hardboard than 1/2" foamcore... Works amazing well!

A couple questions:

How do you cut the hardboard? I've tried with my utility knives but it's difficult and dangerous. With a saw I never cut straight.

The weather here in Paris is finally getting nice and I'm eager to get out and paint. I've decided this summer I'm going to paint in oils instead of my usual acrylics. I paint oils with a knife and it's usually quite thick, which brings me to question #2:

If you paint up to the edges, don't they get messed up by the wood strips? Should I learn to leave a small edge around the painting?

Thanks to all for the great comments. Since the American sized panel holders don't work for French sizes, I'm going to try to build my own.

-Michael
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunparis
A couple questions:

How do you cut the hardboard? I've tried with my utility knives but it's difficult and dangerous. With a saw I never cut straight.

The weather here in Paris is finally getting nice and I'm eager to get out and paint. I've decided this summer I'm going to paint in oils instead of my usual acrylics. I paint oils with a knife and it's usually quite thick, which brings me to question #2:

If you paint up to the edges, don't they get messed up by the wood strips? Should I learn to leave a small edge around the painting?

Thanks to all for the great comments. Since the American sized panel holders don't work for French sizes, I'm going to try to build my own.

-Michael

Hi Michael,

The foamcore idea might be better for you. I used a table saw to cut the hardboard.

Yes, the edges could get messed up. I paint on 1/8" panel and left about 3/8" space. I could get two panels in there back to back. If I insert just one the edges seem to be not messed up. With my 12x16' carrier I tape gessoed canvas, up to 11x14", to a panel and the edges are well clear. Actually I've been using "removeable plastic adhesive" lately...like a sticky plastic clay product...one pinch on each corner. If the painting is a keeper you can mount and frame it.

Another way to think of it: Once framed the edges can not be seen so why worry?

Bob
Bob Bissett - http://www.buildart.com/rare.htm Paint America, Top 100 Winner; Am. Art Collector, Sep 08, page 96-97. http://www.buildart.com/blog.htm For now: Acrylics with Nova Slow Dry Matte Liquid or Golden Open or Old Holland; Artisan or Oils with Liquin; Canon G9 & Nikon D70. http://www.buildart.com/secret_of_wa...xable_oils.htm Review & Youtube demos. http://www.buildart.com/ice_free_earth_now.htm

Last edited by id-art : 06-04-2007 at 06:08 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Paris, France

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-art

Another way to think of it: Once framed the edges can not be seen so why worry?

Bob

As long as the widths of the edges of the frame & the carrier are the same then I agree!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 08:14 AM
WC! Guide
Rochester, MN

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunparis
A couple questions:

-Michael
Michael. Cutting hardboard with a utility knife takes patience, and a metal straight edge, like a metal ruler or square. I put a scrap piece of wood underneath, line up my heavy duty carpeters square (ruler) on the piece I want to cut, then carefully pull the knife along the ruler. You must press hard and cut several times to get through.

The two advantages of the knife: you don't need a table saw, and it cuts without a kerf. If you use a saw, it removes a small space of wood where the saw blade travels. This is often 1/8". Over the space of many canvasses cut from a large piece of wood, this causes spacing problems, and you lose a canvas or two.

Personally, I use a mix. I cut a 4x8' sheet into 9", 10", and 12" strips on the saw. Then I use a blade to cut the 48" strip into exact sizes with a blade. For example, that 9" strip becomes 4 exact 12" pieces. Using a saw for the same piece would leave each piece an 1/8" short, which might cause problems in a frame.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Wet Panel Carrier cheap and fast to assemble...

Fabulous idea - I made one for myself today, and will be taking it with me to paint on Monhegan Island, Maine next week.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 AM

another option

Heres something that you can do that might save you a lot of money and allow you to make a lot of paintings in a very efficient manner.

1. decide how big you want to work.
2. go out and buy or make a number of canvas stretchers that are about 3 inches taller and wider than that size. These can be made of the cheapest canvas and they can be left unprimed. I would suggest fredrick's stretchers and cheap unprimed cotton canvas.
3. buy some nice, primed linen canvas, or prime your own if you're into that. Cut the peices so that they are the same size as your canvas stretchers. Then use masking tape to tape off the area you want to work in leaving about a 1-1/2 inch border all the way around.
4. using about 8 thumbtacks, tack your painting canvases on top of the cheap canvas. Now stack your stretchers and bind them together. When you have finished painting, re-stack them. the painting won't touch the back of the other paintings. You will find that you can just hang the paintings up to dry by tacking them up somewhere at home. If you like one, stretch and frame it. If you don't like it, don't stretch it.
5. reuse the stretchers again and again.

I have been using this method all season.
Michaelson
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-22-2007, 07:03 PM

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Wet Panel Carrier cheap and fast to assemble...

Just got your response. Another great idea. I used my wet-paint carrier all summer, and everyone thought it was terrific.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Near Fargo, ND

Hails from United States

bookmark
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Enthusiast
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Had to bring this back out of the cupboard to say - I MADE ONE!
EASY, EASY, EASY!
Thanks again to Marc!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald_Smith
If you want something a little more durable and almost as light, you can use gator board instead of foam board.

Don

Hi Don,
Yes I think that is a great suggestion of yours. I have had a lot of success with this gatorboard material. It is much less prone to bending than foamcore, and does not warp in the same way as do other lightweight materials such as mahogany plywood, luan (a tradename), other thin plywoods, or mdf (medium density fibreboard). All of the latter warp after time when they get wet.

I have made about a dozen of these gatoboard drying boxes in different sizes, as well as some palette carriers and they are still holding up after 6 years of fairly heavy use. I also dismantle them when flying and reassemble them on site (using duct tape of course!).

Here are the designs for the boxes I use:

(I settled on this design in the end after a lot of experiments because it contains the maximum number of panels in the minimum volume).

I hope these plans are useful for everyone,
all the best...
Barry

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Immortalized
Heart of Missouri's Outback!

Hails from United States

Barry,

It was from reading your Virtual Art Academy material that I learned about using the Gaterboard. I didn't think it would be right for me to share the section about making it. It is very nice of you to share it here on WC.

Don