WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 09:42 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
North Augusta, SC

Hails from United States
Help please about glazing

Thank you in advance for help....when glazing how thick should the paint be that you are going to use for the glaze or should it be watered down so that it is like "ink" and is glazing used by placing a dark color over a light color?

Thank you so much....

..."Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices - but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence (Albert Einstein)."
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
Re: Help please about glazing

Hi Borum,
Glazing is done with glazing medium. It is usually more medium than pigment. If the pigment is too strong then the colour underneath will not show through. It is much easier to glaze with less pigment and many layers than with too much pigment. It also takes a bit of time to get the feel of this but the learning curve is not excessively massive. Just a bit of practice.

You can glaze light on dark or dark on light, depending on what effect you are after.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 10:22 AM
North Augusta, SC

Hails from United States

Thank you Lady Carol for your fast reply...Are blending and glazing mediums the same?

Love your work

..."Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices - but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence (Albert Einstein)."
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 11:40 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I think blending mediums might have retarder in them as well. (as do some glazing mediums, but not all) There's probably some that are similar depending on the brand. My glazes have just a touch of paint in the medium. So maybe 10%-90% mix. You can adjust it depending on how much transparency or sublety you want. I'd suggest a test piece - do a vague painting underneath in a simple colour scheme. Then divide it into sections and glaze with 50% pigment/50% medium, 25% pigment, 10% pigment, etc. (Leaving one section with no glaze so you can see the effect) I'd do a version with light underpainting and dark glaze, and vice versa. It will give you a good idea of how the mixtures will work.

You *can* glaze with water. I do that now occassionally thanks to Einion's posts, though I still prefer medium. Again, probably worth doing a test panel to see how that looks too and feel how it's working.

I'm a glutton for punishment and like glazing light over dark.

Tina.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

I'll provide the same link to the demo I gave my son for you..it has a lot of information, and please feel welcome and take time to check out the other many links, demos and such in my IP forum...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174514

Larry
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 12:48 PM
North Augusta, SC

Hails from United States

timelady thank you for your response. I have mostly worked in watercolors and now I am trying acrylics. I like them both.

Larry, thanks for the link and I am going to read it right now.....

All of you, thank you very much, and hopefully in the near future I'll post some of my efforts.....

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Now I'm there

Hails from United States

Re blending vs glazing mediums - check the label - if it says slow drying (i.e. Golden Glazing or Liquitex Blending mediums), then they have retarder and work in essentially the same way. If it says fast drying (i.e., Liquitex Glazing medium), then it has no retarder.

I use the former if I want to blend edges or make subtle gradations in the layer, the latter if I want to quickly lay thin, transparent glazes one over the other as each layer dries really fast. I use just a bit of paint to a small puddle of medium for glazing.

When you use a slow drying medium, it's best if you don't mix additional retarder into the paint as it will have tackiness and lifting problems.

Debra
Debra Spinks Art on Facebook My Art Blog WCAAPOI
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

To simplify, think of glazing as using a transparent color to tint, darken, modify, even lighten, yes lighten etc.. an area.

The key is using transparent color. Some colors are so transparent that it takes hardly any medium at all..just enough to make it flow.

The consistency is fairly irrelevant as long as the color is transparent. That usually means thin color though.

Glazing is a means to an end...to achieve the effect that you want. Whether it be adding dark to create a shadow where the under color shows through or to add a color that combines with the underlaying color to create an all new color..

For example, underpainting a blue and then adding a yellow to create a greenish tint.

EXPERIMENT!!!!

just like the artists of old!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Excuse my ignorance - I am experimenting with chroma acrylics - I wasn't aware that I would need to glaze!
1. do you have to glaze?
2. what difference does it make - apart from a shiny finish?

Jenny
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

no need to glaze at all.

it is just one of many techniques used to achieve an effect. you can make a beautiful painting without glazing at all.

and it doesn't necessarily mean you will get a shiny finish, that depends on the medium you use for glazing.

some assert that creating a color by glazing 1 primary over another (putting a layer of red over a dry layer of yellow) will yield a deeper more luminous secondary color (orange)...rather than simply just using orange to begin with.

I don't really agree with that , but some love it.

i mainly use glazes to alter an area that is too bright in a painting. or too add or deepen shadows.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

oh, and it can be particularly useful when painting water. That's the one case where I thnk it shines.

glazing can also be used to "color in" a grayscale underpainting. some people like to do an entire painting in nothing but one grayed down color.....very detailed, then come back and use glazes to add color.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2005, 10:03 AM
Lord of the Arts
Idaho, USA

Hails from United States

Thank you very much for the info Peapod - I can see I have a lot to learn being a complete beginner. I must get a book Any recommendations?

Jenny
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

Well,

One book I like about art techniques and mediums in general is a book called "An Introduction to Art Techniques".

Publiched by some group called "DK". They have a website dk.com, but I picked it up at barnes and noble for $25. You can enter the title into barnes and nobles website and it will come up.

It is a fairly thick book that separates 7 mediums into it's own section. Drawing, perspective,watercolor,pastels,oils,acrylics and mixed media.

It gives you both a general overview of each and some specific info on technique too.

It's well illustrated and fun to read. Just be sure to realize that it's just a starting point for you to jump off of.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2005, 12:39 PM
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

http://us.dk.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay...451514,00.html