WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What is your favorite online pastel supplier?
Dakota Pastels 92 26.06%
Dick Blick 158 44.76%
Fine Art Store 19 5.38%
Jerry's Artarama 64 18.13%
Madison Art Shop 0 0%
Mount Vision Pastels 2 0.57%
Terry Ludwig 18 5.10%
Voters: 353. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 11:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States
Re: What is your favorite online store for pastels and supplies?

jeff, I am out to pick everyones brain! lol. As a self taught person who starts her first class this Wednesday, Of course I need to pick brains. I figure I can shamelessly pick as if I ever get good I can have my brain picked and I will gladly give of myself.
It must be nice to have developed such good friendships. That is the other thing I sincerely hope to do on here. make new and dear friends. It's nice to have friends and ones who have a common interest. It's so hard to do that here in beige country. hard to find people with common interests in art, books, ect. They are around but, hard to find.
I have a really brain picking question that I'm dying to know. In landscapes, I see these beautiful dreamy landscapes with perfect trees. How do you get that effect? The trees that look so good. I do fabulous skies but, just beginning landscapes I am having a problem with acheiving the dreamy looking trees and the details in the mountains. do you use pencils or colour shapers?
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Lynn, MA.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlake
jeff, I am out to pick everyones brain! lol.

Well Diane, be forewarned, I've played a lot of ice hockey and soccer in my life, and most of my brain is been picked clean via waywards pucks and soccer balls. :-)

Quote:
As a self taught person who starts her first class this Wednesday, Of course I need to pick brains. I figure I can shamelessly pick as if I ever get good I can have my brain picked and I will gladly give of myself.

I am self-taught as well, which at times makes it hard for me to tell people exactly what I have done to get a certain result. Sort of like my grandmother trying to tell people how to make shortbread. She did it all by feel and touch, and couldn't write down the recipe because she was always doing it to taste. I do however try to give back as best I can what I have learned.

Quote:
It must be nice to have developed such good friendships. That is the other thing I sincerely hope to do on here. make new and dear friends. It's nice to have friends and ones who have a common interest. It's so hard to do that here in beige country. hard to find people with common interests in art, books, ect. They are around but, hard to find.

Well, life in general can be a detterent. I live in an area that is rich with artists, but life in general, my family, my daughter, my job, often keeps me from developing friendships in the art community, making me feel rather isolated. Online can be great, but at times, you need to show and share, and a compuer screen just doesn't, to me, offer the nuances necessary for accurate feedback.

Quote:
I have a really brain picking question that I'm dying to know. In landscapes, I see these beautiful dreamy landscapes with perfect trees. How do you get that effect? The trees that look so good. I do fabulous skies but, just beginning landscapes I am having a problem with acheiving the dreamy looking trees and the details in the mountains. do you use pencils or colour shapers?

Usually it's a combination of different pieces working together. The tooth of the paper, the touch of the stroke of color, the rhythm and layering of the colors, and their interaction. Think of the trees more as abstract shapes, placing your darks down, and building up to your lights. You will then be able to push the sky color into the solid abstracts shapes to show the sky peeking through. Make sure you step back often to see how the shapes, colors, etc., are interacting, and producing your more realistic tree.

I can't remember if it was in a book, or a magazine article, (Artist International?) and I'm not absolutley sure this is the artist, but I believe it was Gil Dellinger or Doug Dawson, but they did an excellent piece on making realistic trees.

BTW, I don't use pastel pencils or color shapers. Well, I might use a pastel pencil for the intial drawing, but rarely in the work itself, and never a color shaper. I use the pastels themselves to shape, or my fingers.

I hope this helps?

Anybody else have some good resources for Diane?
http://www.fioravanti-fineart.com
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 12:54 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

I use my fingers alot. haven't used Colour Shapers. I thought they looked intersting. I have pencil but, rarely use them.
I think the hardest part about being self taught is self doubt. I mean, I just started landscapes so they aren't as confident as, say an Illustration like the one I posted yesterday. But, I taught myself how to do stuff like that copying A. Mucha. And, my hubby is an engineer so he helped me with doing better buildings. Now, learning landscapes, they look so beginner like. And I always doubt myself. I see people who have these art creditials and then, my older brother who is really good. With my art, I am the eternal little sister trying to be like Alan. lol. But, one thing that is good, is with all the talented people here, I see thier work and it makes me want to work harder and push more.
oh, I ordered from Dakota Pastels last week and I really like them. I like the flat rate and the selection. I really find them very personable and helpful. So, now I believe my stores online are Dakota and Dicks.

Last edited by dlake : 01-09-2006 at 01:04 PM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 PM
Lynn, MA.

Hails from United States

Quote:
I use my fingers alot.

Well, you'll reduce that if you use a lot of Art Spectrum and Kitty Wallis. The grit will do a number on your fingers, but more importantly, these papers are very conducive to using the pastels only to do your blending. I'm not saying you'll completely stop, but it will be reduced dramatically. I still use my fingers on occasion, but it is so rare these days when using those papers.

Quote:
I think the hardest part about being self taught is self doubt.

We all have self-doubt, so don't worry about that. Just take it as it comes, and you'll be fine.

Quote:
Now, learning landscapes, they look so beginner like. And I always doubt myself.

Do you have any books for a beginner pastel artist? There's several excellent publications, including a recent book by Anne Heywood who is a wonderful artist and landscape painter. You might want to get a copy if you don't already own one. I find books help a great deal, even if only for a single passage.

Quote:
I see people who have these art creditials and then, my older brother who is really good. With my art, I am the eternal little sister trying to be like Alan. lol.

Well, I offer this word of caution, don't be too impressed with credentials. Remember, they put their clothese on just like you.

Quote:
But, one thing that is good, is with all the talented people here, I see thier work and it makes me want to work harder and push more.

I'm certain you will find much success and happiness with your art, and I wish you well. Feel free to drop me a line anytime, and if I can be of help, I certainly will offer my thoughts, and if I can not b of help, I hope I can point you in a direction that will get you the answers you need and desire.

Have a great day, and Happy Painting!
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

I'll check into the book. I was thinking of getting richard mcdaniels but, this may be what I'm looking for. I take a subject at a time. Next will probably be animals or working on tightening up on my florals.
don't think I won't take you up on your offer. Though I am going to have an excellent teacher in my class I am always having my brain knocking stuff around.
lol
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 08:14 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi Diane,

About trees. I can't help you much but don't forget that to depict a tree with realism one has to think about it's structure (like our anatomy).
One cannot paint a correct figure without a correct anatomy.
Examin carefully the main shappes of the tree. Work those. Then work from there.
I hope this helps because if not, this is my policy : satisfied customer or your money lost :-) :-)

Regards,

José
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Lynn, MA.

Hails from United States

Quote:
I'll check into the book. I was thinking of getting richard mcdaniels but, this may be what I'm looking for. I take a subject at a time.

The McDaniel book is excellent too. If you have a good library or bookstore nearby, see what they have to offer too before making a final purchase. I suggested Anne's book because it is/was created more for the beginner and it explains things in an easy to understand format.

I think you will do well, and we'll all be looking forward to viewing your work. Best of luck and Happy Painting!
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

I have 2 excellent bookstores plus Amazon!! I decided to go back to my comfort zone for a little while and do some village scenes in france. Being 1/2 french I really relate to french things and doing scenes from France is my fun art. And I think I'm also going to do some sketches from my Alphonse Mucha book. That always gets me on track.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Lynn, MA.

Hails from United States

Quote:
I have 2 excellent bookstores plus Amazon!! I decided to go back to my comfort zone for a little while and do some village scenes in france. Being 1/2 french I really relate to french things and doing scenes from France is my fun art. And I think I'm also going to do some sketches from my Alphonse Mucha book. That always gets me on track.

Hey Diane,

Sometimes when we're stuck, going back that which we are familiar can be of help. I'm glad you're back on track and wish you all the best as you move forward with you art. Have a good one and we'll talk again.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Diane- the McDaniel book is indeed terrific- I was reading it over Christmas, and looked up his website- I ordered his pastel set and the rest of his books even- and sent a quick note to him saying how wonderful his work was- and his reply indicated that even HE was in a period of some self-doubt, which he said was rare for him. I have a lot more self-doubt than most I suspect, but it is nice to know that even the best have it too...and nice to know that a quick note can perhaps provide a needed boost to someone about their confidence. When I see work on the level of Jeff Fioravanti's, I have to admit I think- how can I ever possibly be half as good? Well, I have to be honest and admit I probably never will be, but as long as I have fun, I can probably provide motivation to others who think- wow- I can do much better than her- and they are encouraged to post their pastels or watercolors! So I guess no matter your age and level of talent, everyone can be some sort of inspiration to someone!
Linda
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Lynn, MA.

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by purples
I have a lot more self-doubt than most I suspect, but it is nice to know that even the best have it too...and nice to know that a quick note can perhaps provide a needed boost to someone about their confidence.

Hi Linda & Diane,

We all experience self-doubt, it's just life. I think it is especially true for artists since so much of our inner soul is laid out for all to see in line and color, that it can be very traumatic at times and raise doubts in even the most seasoned professional. Sure, some may not appear as such, and perhaps they're just good at putting a good face, but I have to believe that they, like us all, endure such periods. So, take heart, you are not alone, especially on this community.

Quote:
When I see work on the level of Jeff Fioravanti's, I have to admit I think- how can I ever possibly be half as good?

Linda, I am indeed flattered, but am sad to hear of your thoughts in comparing my work to your own. I do not wish for you to experience such when viewing my work. If it inspires you, wonderful, but I never intended for my work to be something upon which to be measured, especially as it relates to your own work and experiences as an artist. I am sorry to elicit such a response; it makes me feel as if I have in some manner defeated you as an artist. I can assure, I am nothing special, and certainly not one against whom you should judge your own current place in the art community.

Quote:
Well, I have to be honest and admit I probably never will be, but as long as I have fun, I can probably provide motivation to others who think- wow- I can do much better than her- and they are encouraged to post their pastels or watercolors! So I guess no matter your age and level of talent, everyone can be some sort of inspiration to someone!
Linda

That's the spirit!! We can all learn from each other, which makes a forum such as this such a wonderful resource. It's not being better than somebody else, it's learning and doing the best we can, refining our own skills, and most of all having fun. Well said Linda!!!!
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 01:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Jeff- did not mean your work bummed me out really - it is exceptional, and indeed inspiring- just that when I am in a super doubting mood, and see that- I think- wow.... but you are so right- comparing ourselves to others is just plain self-defeating... I tell that to my kids and forget to tell it to myself!
Linda
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
east coast

Hails from United States

who is FAS????? I buy at pearl in philadelphia, problem is, its a whole day affair- the place is so huge I can't get out of there- online and catalog, i like jerrys artarama- best price, no problems so far
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

What fun it has been reading this thread again. I see I posted to it way back in July when I had only been pasteling for about four months. Now I have a whole six more months under my belt! LOL

Diane, have you started your art classes? I started out with a beginning drawing class last spring at a local adult school, and then started lessons at the local art museum in the summer, and again in the fall, and this spring I'm taking *two* art classes there! None of them are specifically pastel classes. The only pastel class the museum offers (and it is a year-long class) is offered during the daytime when I'm at work - so no good for me. And I don't know of any pastel societies in my area or anything like that.

But I certainly can see a big improvement in my own work when I compare stuff I'm doing now with stuff I was doing last March/April when I first began my art journey journey.

And speaking of the various art stores, I got a gift certificate to Jerrys for Christmas and still have to figure out what to spend it on.

Jeff, your work is awesome, just gorgeous. I have a real soft spot for boats, and water scenes.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Lord of the Arts
machesney park, illinois

Hails from United States

Hey Debbie. Class starts at 6:30 tonite. Yea!!!!!!!!!!! Am really looking forward to it. One thing I hope to get is more discipline and tighten up my work and stay focused on the prize. No pastel classes in town but, this teacher is versed in pastels and is going to help me in her painting class. So nice of her.