WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States
Weekly Scumble June 27 Thru July 3

Good morning everyone! Welcome to our weekly chat thread. This is where we get together and talk about our lives, kids, jobs, pets, ups and downs. So, stop in and visit!

Still on baby watch for that last grandchild. Chris's dr. is planning an induction if she doesn't deliver by Wed. I know Chris is miserable.

Our Guild show went extremely well. We had something over 300 paintings in this show, up from 217 last year. Best in Show went to Cecile Baird, author of
Painting Light with Colored Pencil by North Light Book Club. She is such a talented CP artist. I don't do as much CP as I used to, hardly any, really, since discovering Pastels, but I bought her book and had her sign it, just because I know her!!
I was very happy with the ribbons I won, and there is always next year!

Nothing exciting on the home front, so will check back later to see if any of you are having an exciting day!

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 10:47 AM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Weekly Scumble June 27 Thru July 3

Congratulations on your wins, Kate. It must be a wonderful feeling to have done so well!

Deborah - I read in last week's thread about your mom. I hope she is doing better.

Well - this was the weekend of the big move. Two households in one day - craziness. Because I work with the girl whose house we were moving into, we decided to share the cost of the van and double our manpower in one fell swoop. We started the day on Saturday, bright and early at the duplex. Loading up thier stuff didn't take very long because they had given away the bulk of their furniture and had just a few large pieces and some boxes. Then, once the last of their stuff was in transit, cam and I headed over to our place to get a head start loading our zillion boxes into my dad's trailer. Had that sucker packed to the gills, we did.

By the time we headed back over to the duplex with a full trailer, it was lunchtime so we ordered pizza and unloaded the trailer while we were waiting on delivery. With 3 box dollys the work went fast (the 9 people helping didn't hurt either). Then we ate Pizza and headed back over to the townhouse to load the furniture. My coworker's mother in law took a pretty bad tumble on our hill, so we lost one helper, but really we weren't bad off with 8 helper bees.

Amazingly enough, we got all of the big stuff moved within the 8 hour time frame that we had the truck. Fortunately wee still had my dad's trailer after, so we could get the last of it over in the evening and on Sunday.

Now we are just in the process of cleaning the old place (and tryingt o find time to unpack the new. We have internet there...but our computers are our last priority at the moment (work clothes are at the top of the list right now - you have no idea how hard it was getting ready for work today when I couldn't find clothes and all that was accessible was the grungey jeans I wore all weekend).

Anyway - there is a mini-update on my busy weekend. This week will be a bit insane, but I am looking forward to the long weekend to rest and relax!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Ingleside, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi, Kate. Sounds like the show was a great experience for you. It's good you're having a short breather between babies, but I guess you will all be thankful (especially Chris) when this one has arrived safe and sound.

Cori, so you're moved! Just reading about your day makes me want to lie down with an icepack on my head. I hope your ankle didn't give you too much grief. Whenever I've moved, I've made a vow, "Never Again!", but just like with childbirth, the memory of the pain fades.

I've been busy toting boxes myself in a much smaller way. We have a room which functioned as an office when my husband was working and my daughter was in school. It was stuffed to the gills with books, old computer monitors, and whatever junk didn't fit elsewhere in the house. It hasn't been painted in ten years. Last year I kicked the junk back a few feet and made a space to use as a studio, which I loved, but since my husband's illness I don't like to shut myself away where I might not hear him if he needs help, so I've moved back down to the dining room.

Meanwhile, my daughter's bedroom needs a serious makeover - I'm talking new drywall, new flooring, new windows - so we decided to move her into the office to give us free access to her room. Of course, we started this in the middle of a heat wave, but we got a lot of gruntwork done the first week and are now ready to paint. Would you believe, the local paint store doesn't have the colour we want? They decided to cut down on the number of colours to save space! So we have to wait until we can go to town.

So, it's a pity, but I'll just have to sit here and sip lemonade and play with my pastels.

My Website at Artspan.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

Hi,
I'm a newbie here at wetcanvas, and to art in general, but I just wanted to say how much I've been enjoying reading these weekly scumble posts. It makes me feel like I know you all.

Debbie C.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 03:14 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

And welcome to the Scumble,too, Debbie!

Cori, so glad you got that move behind you! Now you can hopefully take your time unpacking and organizing in the new place. I HATE the final cleaning of the old place...I'm always sick of the place by then and could care less! LOL I, too, always say "Never Again!"...and no, I don't FORGET the pain, but sometimes we have no choice. We've been in this house for right at 20 years now, tho, and I don't EVEN want to think what it's gonna take to clear it all out and move! I might just hang out here til I croak and let somebody else have all the fun!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Lord of the Arts
Lubbock

Hails from United States

We made it to the mountains! But without...you're not going to believe this...without our suitcase of clothes! lol The van was so full it's hard to think we didn't have it. I left it in the bedroom for the hubbie to heft out. He thought it was by the door & didn't realize he didn't put it in with all the rest. Fortunately, we had shirts elsewhere so we're just missing pants, pj's, robes....
It's beautiful here & I've started working on my saguaro painting. Hard to fit in painting with fixing 3 meals a day. Haven't got to leftovers yet. I may go on a photography/sketch trip tomorrow.
Deborah, I hope your Mom keeps doing better. Chest pains are always worrisome.
Cori, good luck with unpacking.
Sandy, I hope you're resting up from that heated show.
Tammy
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

Welcome Debbie! Glad you could join us. Now, you'll have to tell us all about you.You are ahead of us.

Well, so much for no excitement. My son-in-law took my car to get the AC recharged. On the way back, it died, in mid flight so to speak. So hubby went to take a look. Had to tow it to the shop. Turns out it has to do with the timing chain. Should be done tomorrow.
Then I had to take Jess, my hubby, to the ER!!!! Last weekend he had a small accident with a young horse and a horse trailer. I guess it has been getting steadly more painful. Couldn't get him in to see our Doc til July 21st! Can you believe that??!! Anyway, turns out it is badly bruised, no tears or breaks. They gave him pain meds and a steroid anti inflammatory. He will be fine.

We are finally getting some rain. It is storming here.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-27-2005, 06:33 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

Welcome Debbie! Make yourself comfortable and tell us a bit about yourself...and post a painting or two when you feel ready.

Cori, I am so glad you have finally moved. I know how much work it is, but it's sort of fun work...in a way.

Kate it does sound like you have had more than you share of excitement lately...although most of it has been good. I hope hubby feels better soon.

Agnes, you sound busy! Moving stuff around and cleaning and painting a room...when you are done there...have I got a job for you!

You trip sounds wonderful, TAmmy...except for the lack of clothing! WEll, it sounds like you are managing...and let someone else do some cooking so you have some vacation/painting time!

I am cooled off well...in fact it is downright chilly right now! It wasn't supposed to be but it's fine with me for now.

I went to the portrait group this morning and painted someone's daughter! WEll, grown daughter. The elderly person from the place who was supposed to sit for us just had chemotherapy and is not feeling well. Anyhow, not a great painting but I know it is good for me to work from life figures like that. And it's always good to paint with friends.

I hope the weather is good enough to paint outdoors sometime this week but it is looking like rain off and on. We'll see...they don't always get it right.

You all have a good week!

Sandy

My WC Gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 12:05 AM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States

Happy Monday everyone

Deborah- I am so happy to hear your mother is doing better, that is good news

kate- We just found out that we are on baby watch too...but not until March, my daughter has been so sick and a co-worker mentioned to her that she might have morning sickness so she took the test, and yep....has a doctor's appointment next week, poor girl, she is really sick

Cori- you did not mention Abner, just wondering how he is fairing his new digs...

Anges-you know, we will need before and after pictures of your daughter's room

Debbie- Welcome....this is such a nice place to be.

Tammy- that is too funny, sorry....might mean you get new clothes??? or if you were like me, just wear them the entire vacation ( I sometimes stay home and do that and my daughter gets so mad, but I say I am on vacation and she howls at me) don't worry, it is only for a couple of days

well, I am taking my second class of the summer...a week long affair, already going nuts, this is a math class, so this will be the last week you hear me whine.....ok maybe not

have a good one
piper
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 01:28 AM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

lol...Abner doesn't quite "get" his new yard. He just sits at the gate and whines to be let out. I am hoping that as we clean it up and landscape a bit, he will understand that he can play there.

The other animals are faring well. The sugar glider cage broke on the way over, but we seem to have gotten it fixed again.

I keep forgetting the rabbit food at the other house so she has been happy to be getting nothing but hay blocks so far.

Bayond that, the cleaning is pretty much done at the old place and we hand over the keys tomorrow night and can finally concentrate on getting unpacked.

Oh - and I may have exciting news on the job front tomorrow. Just giving you all a little something to look forward to..a mystery as it were. I've been dying to share it for 2 weeks now, but I can't post it publically quite yet. Tomorrow I should be able to.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

CONGRATULATIONS PIPER!! Is this your first?
Cori, sounds exciting. I sure don't envy you the moving.
Sandy, Hi! A heat wave the weekend, and a cool spell now? Wierd.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 12:21 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

OK, I'll bite! Cori's gettin' that fancy new job she wanted FINALLY!?!?!?!!!??? hopehopehope...anyway Abner will soon discover he has his own personal yard and be happy as a clam, don't worry.

Congrats on the grandbaby, Piper...all good luck to you and your daughter!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 01:26 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

It would be a bad career move for me to post publically before everything is set in stone. It's a weird awkward situation at the moment.

I will, however, say that I had an interview this morning for my current position which will make it permanent if I am awarded my own job back. (It's a union thing) but my news is MUCH BIGGER!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Haven't I posted here yet? Hmmm, guess I was just about the last one last week.

Things are getting better with my mom--and thanks for all your support. I hope at 93 I'm as healthy as she is, considering. She's not a worrier, which is a great trait.

Okay--wow--lots going on here...

Cori, there's nothing better than moving into a new place (except that it entails moving out of the old, which is a lotta work!) Can't wait to hear your news... <tap, tap, tap--drumming nails in anticipation>

Yikes, Agnes, that sounds like a lot of moving and improving. Wish I had your energy. Unfortuately I just sit and sip the lemonade! Hope it goes well for you.

Glad you're here with us here, Debbie! We all know each other pretty well, so join right in.

Tammy, that sounds like something I'd do! LOL We went off and left the back door, not only unlocked, but wide open the other day. We were gona all day. I asked if he'd done it and he asked if I had, and neither of us listened. *mental note: LISTEN to the answer.

Kate, your life is never dull, is it? Hope hubby improves quickly. Oh, and now rain too! YAY!!!

Piper--a grandbaby? Whoo hoo! Hope your daughter gets over the morning sickness soon. Hey, looking forward to hearing about the next class, too.

Sandy, you're doing so much, painting with the portrait group, working on location. No wonder your work is growing by leaps and bounds! Hope it stays cool but not rainy for you.

I'm painting for the book today. Wish I was more inspired. One good thing, my drawing for painters class has come together. I'm just doing a four week Saturday class here at the house, but I'm ending up with a few newbies and getting reacquainted with some of my former students too. Guess I need to offer more Saturday classes now and then.

Off to paint..........

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2005, 02:34 PM
A Local Legend
Maine

Hails from United States

Wow! I missed that about Piper's grandbaby...too much going on here . COngratulations.

I won't say a word about Cori to jinx things....shhhhhhhhhh......

DEborah, I am so glad to hear your mother is doing better. They are amazing aren't they...these elderly parents of ours. They just keep on ticking. Of course I know it is still tough for them. We had supper with my parents on Sunday night. WE each drove 45 minutes to a restaurant midway. I mean my mother had carotid surgery just a little over a month ago! Whew! SHe will be 90 in August. I know she is not thrilled with how she feels at this point and in many ways wishes she were not still ticking....but she also seems to enjoy life more than she lets on. She is so interested in her 2 great-grandchildren and also in my son's new lady friend. As long as she has positive things going on she manages.

Well, the weather has been strange the last ocuple of days. They keep predicting things that don't happen. Yesterday was supposed to be cold, then they changed it to very warm. In the end it was pretty chilly. Today was supposed to be foggy in the morning then rainy and about 70 or so. Instead the sun has been out for several hours and it is darn warm out there...almost 80! I picked up a couple of plants to pot and one to put into the garden...I got the stuff into the planters but picked upt he shovel to dig a little hole for the beautiful reddish lily to add to the yellow ones (for color when I get around to painting them )....but decided rapidly it was too hot. I was dripping and too irritable to bother. I left it sitting in the pot in the garden. It still looks good. Maybe I can get hubby to do it when he comes up!
And we are supposed to get some rain tonight. Strange...but really typical New England weather...if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes!

Sandy

edited because I don't seem to be able to type!

My WC Gallery