WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Internet Sales Strategies
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States
Art Exchange.com ... any opinions?

I was contacted by ArtExchange with an obvious form-letter that said they'd seen my site, etc. The letter then says (in a way that could be considered a bit condescending by some) "If you are serious about selling your art, call me," then gave the name and number of their fearless leader.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this company? Good, bad or indifferent. Seems like these internet art sales companies are popping up as fast as the dandelions in my yard and I have yet to take the bait with any of them since I have my own site and have done OK with it so far, but mostly rely on shows and galleries for sales, (my site is just back-up sales and portfolio 24/7)

If you have any news, I hope you share it....
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United States
Re: Art Exchange.com ... any opinions?

My,My, My. . .
My suggestion is to search for art-exchange.com here at wetcanvas and at www.artscuttlebutt.com.

I did search for my name on Yahoo shopping the other day, just for fun, and lo and behold- art-exchange showed up in the store list with 4 items.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

Wow, Andy.... thanks for that link! scuttlebutt gave me more than I could have hoped for as far as info on artexchange and it was ALLLLLL bad. Terrifying, to be honest. What a horrible company. From what I've learned, you have to pay an upfront fee, then if you want to part ways with them, it's impossible.

Sounds like the Mafia of art dealers. :-)

Basically, they are the internet approach of the Creations (craft) stores in the midwest, you pay for booth space, you don't sell, the only winner is Creations making their booth fees month after month. They finally shut down the stores here as word got around that they did nothing to market the stores or sell work.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 05:25 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

They used to call me at home even, soliciting. No idea where they got my ph#. They were aslo very huffy when I said No to them. I'd pass them by, which you seem to have learned anyway.
Jocelyn
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Vatican City State

They used to call me at the gallery all the time.

Their latest scam is getting artists to donate works to the Museum of Contemporary Art in Hot Springs, AK. They make it sound like they want to include you in the permanent collection when in reality they want to sell the work you donated and keep all the money for the museum.

Ruth
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

OK, this is the latest thing they did today and I really got a laugh out of it.

The same guy who wrote me (eric westerman) wrote back a response to my email when I asked about insurance when THEY ship the art to the buyer and also about exclusivity on works shown. He said "Call me and I'll tell you what you need to know and then said when I was "serious about selling art" (same line used in the first letter) to give him a call.

I wrote back and said that in the same amount of time he took to respond with zero info, he could have easily responded with a simple Yes/No on both queries. I added that if this is the amount of respect a serious artist gets then "no thanks".

OK, this next part is where their true colors showed:

He wrote back and said,

"Do you want some cheese with that whine?"

!!!! And now I'm supposed to want to do business with them? He added that when I was serious (again, that nice, gently insulting refrain) to call him. A serious, business-like response with just a hint of professionalism might have pulled me back in (if I were even interested) but that silly retort makes them look like fools and wasn't even necessary. I'd already said "no".

Thought I'd share that little tidbit because I have a feeling that's the tip of the iceburg and it's pretty cold. STEER CLEAR!!!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-24-2005, 12:39 AM
Enthusiast
Corvallis, OR

Hails from United States

He wrote to me several times over the years (I remembered his name when I saw it).

I believe there was a wetcanvas thread on this company that said they charged $1600 up front to promote your work.

Laura
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM

The Chief Operating Officer of the ART-EXCHANGE in Hot Springs is Matthew Valentine, who was sentenced to six-years at Lompoc Federal Prison for his role in defrauding investors of Intech Investment Corp., which promised investors returns of as much as 625% on precious metals.
Mr. Valentine, who pleaded guilty to five counts of fraud in federal court in Los Angeles, drove a leased Mercedes and lived in an expensive home on Lido Isle, an island in Newport Beach, California's harbor, according to investigators .
With the $3 million received from investors, he took frequent junkets with friends to exotic locales and leased an expensive BMW for his girlfriend, whom he met at the shop where he got his custom-tailored suits.
"It 's amazing the amount of money that goes up their nose, out to the dog track or to the tables in Las Vegas,'' Mr. Katz, the U.S. attorney says.

This info is available at http://l2r.cs.uiuc.edu/~danr/Teachin...sources/NE.txt
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'sALLart
Wow, Andy.... thanks for that link! scuttlebutt gave me more than I could have hoped for as far as info on artexchange and it was ALLLLLL bad.

Ok, what am I doing wrong? I did a search for art exchange on scuttlebutt and it turned up nothing.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'sALLart
OK, this next part is where their true colors showed:

He wrote back and said,

"Do you want some cheese with that whine?"

Unbelieveable!

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Hails from Cuba

I have participated with art-exchange during several events, I did not sell anything but have made alot of connections. I called and set up a page on their site, then they talked me into doing the shows. I looked at the link about Mr. Valentine, but never found his name in it. I have met him at the shows, I cant see him in prision???? Are you sure this is the same guy?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2007, 08:20 AM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

One should always be a little suspicious of those who join wet canvas to post one time on a 2-year-old thread in favor of a dot.com that is under scrutiny and obviously has a bad history...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Hails from Cuba
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: Art Exchange.com ... any opinions?

I did actually join to post on this subject only AFTER reading this. Because I HAVE done business with them, and spend my hard earned money with their company, so one should understand that I am a bit shocked and interested in others opinion. Now they are trying to get me to sign up for another show in New York and well.... It is a true shame that some people have so much parinoia that instead of welcoming a new member they post such a comment. well, "ItsAllArt" it is nice to meet you too. Let me share my expierence with you now. As I said I have spent money with them, I know they GO to the shows because I went to the show and met Mr. Valentine there and saw my art on the screens. He was a nice man, very business like, and quite respectful to the artists there; by far the nicer of the attending staff. So my real question is are you sure this is the same person that I am trusting over a thousand dollars with..... See my concern, if it IS HIM why would I ever spend more money with that company..... The only thing I found in the link was an undated article that could have been typed by anyone. I do not want to let a oppurtunity pass that is not a sham, but I also do not want to throw more money away. My question is, does anyone know for sure if this is true or the same man. I know that I did not sell work with them and I sell plenty of work on my own, maybe they show up the shows then do nothing....
PS: I see that you are still keep up on this subject too.. HUMMMMMM
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Immortalized
indy

Hails from United States

I get emails from WC that alert me when a new message is posted on a thread I've started, thus my 2-year "keeping up". I thought it was a little odd that someone posted on such an old thread. My bad.

Sorry you havn't sold anything after spending so much money. As many on this site will tell you, there are a lot of companies out there that will take your money and promise sales. Unfortunately, the "sales" happen - for them - when they dupe another trusting artist. It's called the Vanity Art Business, and there are galleries (online and IRL) galore that will charge you to show your work. Therefore, they stay in business and look successful because of the funds they receive from various artists, not necessarily from the sales of anyone's art. Agora in NY is one... nice resumé fodder, but not very well respected in many areas because of it's vanity (pay for show) history.

Sorry about my response post, but after seeing all of this negative info about Art Exchange (here and elsewhere) and then your very first post is a positive about them, I had to be suspicious.

Critical, yes, vigilant, definitely, but not paranoid. :-)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United States

They are talking about ArtExpo, correct?

Is it possible that you could exhibit on your own, with your own booth?