WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 01:45 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States
Re: Got any Tips?

Thanks Wayne, Maureen and Tami (Tami - I am looking forward to your class next month!). Rolling things does not work in my house - its like an obstacle course of animals, if you can imagine that! I really like the lunch box idea if I can find one big enough - I get carried away buying paints! If not, the top part of that tool box looks like it should have plenty of room but not get so heavy that I can't carry it! Thanks again!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 04:10 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeEss

By the way, brushes should never be allowed to rest for long periods standing on their hair/bristle ends in containers of liquids or solvents. This can cause permanent bending or misshaping of the hairs or bristles.

One tip I'd like to pass on is to add just a bit of conditioner (like you use on your hair to make it easy to comb out after a shampoo) to the final rinse water when you give your brushes the final clean up at the end of your painting day. I met a professional wildlife artist a few years ago who works exclusive with acrylics and expensive sable brushes. She said that the conditioner helps the flow properties of her acrylics and they release much better from her brushes because of the conditioner. The conditioner also helps to keep her brushes in excellent shape.

Beverly

Concerning brushes with bent bristles. My acrylics instructor stated a fix is to get the brush well soaped then lay it flat to dry. As the soap dries it pulls the bristles back into place. After a day or two wash all the soap out and carry on.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 04:28 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney
Concerning brushes with bent bristles. My acrylics instructor stated a fix is to get the brush well soaped then lay it flat to dry. As the soap dries it pulls the bristles back into place. After a day or two wash all the soap out and carry on.

Another variation on this theme is to dip the brush in gum arabic, shape and allow to dry or wrap in brown paper and allow to dry. The next time you use the brush, the gum arabic will rinse out with very little effort (dipping the brush for a few seconds will do it).

Synthetic brushes can be dipped in very warm water (not boiling) and gently reshaped. As they cool it should set.

I would think the conditioner would work on natural brushes, not sure how it might work with synthetics.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 05:01 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thank you gentlemen

Barbara, took these photos of my boxes. the grey one is a Daler Rowney, purpose made.
The blue is from a DIY store in their storage dept - a 'hobby' box.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My saa website**
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Wow, having all these tips in one place is quite helpful; thanks for starting this, Maureen!

Keep them coming: you can never have too many tips, can you?

Dave
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Something that works very well if you use Liquitex tube paints is pegboard. Using the straight hooks you can put one tube per hook over the surface. Each tube is viewable, ready to squeeze and the hole is already in the tube from the store display. I want to try and do this with other paints but need to find those plastic adhesive pieces that one sees in department stores so they all can hang like the liquitex product. Saw that in a recent magazine here in the states. I think it rather clever.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 07:13 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

I am getting very frightened. You guys are all so neat and orderly. My studio looks like something exploded in there and there were no survivors.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcowdrick
I am getting very frightened. You guys are all so neat and orderly. My studio looks like something exploded in there and there were no survivors.

You're not the only one...I've got half-finished paintings all over the place, paints are everywhere, in boxes, on tables, on easels, and even on the floor; used paper towels and lots of ripped drop cloths make up the floor, paint is all over the walls, on books, on the drop cloths and carpet; I've got books and reference photos everywhere, easels on the floor, old palettes laying around, containers and plastic-wraps from supplies are thrown about, frames and picture hooks here and there...

I wouldn't exactly call it 'neat'.

Dave
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Quote:
I am getting very frightened. You guys are all so neat and orderly. My studio looks like something exploded in there and there were no survivors. Howard

Just before you go getting all paranoid (!!!!!), take a look at this mess! Doesn't matter how hard I try, I cannot keep it tidy.
The piece on the table is a little demo for our Art Club, - they want to paint like me (how sad!) and learn about underpainting and glazing etc.

Thanks for the other 'bits and pieces' too - just checked my Liquitex tubes - neat idea as you say on your side of the pond!

Maybe we should have another thread to share 'mess'!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My saa website**
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Barbara, took these photos of my boxes. the grey one is a Daler Rowney, purpose made.

Thanks Maureen! I like that grey one!
My tiny little painting room is messy only because there is not enough room. I have gone back to painting in the kitchen which previously was complained about by DH. Now he knows better. He still likes my cooking very much!
Barbara
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 03:20 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

You know what these DH's are like Barbara Don't know what we'd do wthout them though!!!!!

**My saa website**
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 04:53 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

OK Maureen, where is this mess you talk about? I don't see it. I am serious when I tell you that you can't hold a candle to my topsy turvey dumpster I call a studio. I won't even do a photo, it is far to frightening for human eyes to behold.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 05:37 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

I have done this for so long it is normal and I don't even think about it anymore.

I used a coffee tin with a plastic lid. Cut a hole in the lid. Then a partically used roll of toilet paper is inserted into the can and the center cardboard core is removed. Pulling from the center run the paper through the hole and you have a dispenser.

This is not meant to take the place of papertowels or wiping clothes. It is great for little jobs. Wiping a palette knife, wiping up a small splatter. Drying a brush , a quick wipe here and a dab there. I don't feel quite so wasteful about papertowels since I use them only for appropriate messes.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Having trouble getting paint to flow smoothly over a large area? Or do you want to get a smooth, blended effect as seen in many oil paintings? Here's a little tip that I've found to work quite well:

Take a little (white) acrylic gesso and dilute it with water; a mixture of about 60% gesso and 40% water. Apply this mixture to the desired area. When you need to reload your brush, do not go straight into the gesso, rather put some water on your brush and only put a bit of gesso if needed (remember, you're applying a base coat, not painting!). While the area is still wet, take a very small amount of paint and simply paint the area. When loading your brush with the paint, lightly dab it against your palette, making sure that you have a small amount of paint, but that it is spread throughout the bristles. When the paint mixes with the gesso/water mixture, it will take the color and slide it across the area.

You can also use an acrylic medium to achieve this, but if you don't have any handy, this is a good alternative.

Dave
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 08:08 PM
A Local Legend
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
You know what these DH's are like Barbara Don't know what we'd do wthout them though!!!!!

errr....get 'buzzy?'