WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 PM
Chillicothe Illinois

Hails from United States
Taking digital pictures of paintings?

I sure could use some advice on taking digital pictures of a painting to use with posting on our forums. I "thought" I knew a little about photography untill I made my first post. Wow, the post image is not even close to what the painting is like.
Any advice for a newbie poster...
Thanks
Paul
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
California

Hails from United States
Re: Taking digital pictures of paintings?

My main problem is getting the picture straight! But many sins can be fixed in Photoshop.

I shoot outdoors during the day to avoid color bias from artificial lighting. Fluorescents will give you a horrible bluish cast, and incandescents will make everything yellow. Putting your painting in the shade avoids washing it out in bright sunlight. Overcast days are very good to shoot on. I have a camera that allows me to select the white balance, which is basically a custom color cast to cancel out the effects of artificial lighting, but I still get the best results in natural light.

You can either use a tripod or just brace the camera on something like a chair. Pay attention to lining up the shot--look at the edges of the paper rather than at the painting itself. Take several shots; I always manage to blur some of mine, so I need a bunch to make sure I have at least one in focus!

If you have a good image-editing program, you can correct bad color casts and wonky angles to some extent, but if you're not an expert, you may have to experiment! I know that not everyone deals with Photoshop because it's so expensive, but it's the best one out there. It would probably take a whole article to explain how to fix a color cast, but I don't know if anyone has written one for WC yet.

Laura
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Kansas City, Missouri

Hails from United States

Hi:

I do the digital pictures. I got the Pastel Journals since they began, and they had many articles in them about taking general pictures, and eventually, encompassed them into the small guide for making it into juried shows. I got 2 250 watt tungsten lights and fixtures as recommended in the article, and when you take your picture, you place these 2 lights at about 45degree angles from the surface of the image - place them sort of like an inverted v pointing to the image surface about in the middle of the image. I got the lights from BP Photo. I also got a digital camera tripod, and that helps to get the image straight. Usually, I have to tweak the digital image a little to get it to look correct to me, because it seems to be a little too much of one color. I try to use a middle value drawing board, and have some white showing, so I can use that to get the color corrected. I've thought about getting some pantone colors chips in case to help with that too.

I use the photo editing software the camera came with, and it does a pretty good job - ArcSoft PhotoStudio for Canon, and also Corel Photo Paint a little too. Anyway, hope this helps.

art blog www.artistpw.blogspot.com
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 12:15 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

For anyone who doesn't have Photoshop, and who doesn't like the photo editing program that comes with your brand of digital camera, there is a wonderful free download called
IrfanView that works wonderfully. Just go to www.irfanview.com and follow the instructions.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 01:28 PM
A Local Legend
London UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Here's a checklist of basics I posted in the Oils forum:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...18&postcount=4

Any help?

Dave
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 02:50 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

you can also try this site :

http://www.betterphoto.com

Regards,

José
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Maine

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist_pw
Hi:

I do the digital pictures. I got the Pastel Journals since they began, and they had many articles in them about taking general pictures, and eventually, encompassed them into the small guide for making it into juried shows. I got 2 250 watt tungsten lights and fixtures as recommended in the article, and when you take your picture, you place these 2 lights at about 45degree angles from the surface of the image - place them sort of like an inverted v pointing to the image surface about in the middle of the image. I got the lights from BP Photo. I also got a digital camera tripod, and that helps to get the image straight. Usually, I have to tweak the digital image a little to get it to look correct to me, because it seems to be a little too much of one color. I try to use a middle value drawing board, and have some white showing, so I can use that to get the color corrected. I've thought about getting some pantone colors chips in case to help with that too.

I used this same amazingly helpful Pastel Journal article to learn how to take tungsten slide film too! But I've found that with the digital everything turns sepia unless I turn the photoflood lights away from the painting, til there's no direct light hitting the painting - I take the shot without the flash and it's still light enough. For some reason this is the most accurate way I can take a digital shot of my oil pastel work - it might be different for other mediums but I just can't get a good, accurate shot outdoors.

-BeckyT

When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. ~John Muir
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

I use Picasa2 for most photo editing, a free program available from Google. It's probably the coolest free program I've ever gotten, and rarely a day goes by that I don't use it. My son talked me into trying it, and I'm glad he did, LOL. See:
http://picasa.google.com/index.html
for more info. It's great for correcting color values, and will straighten crooked images as well, and is good for keeping track of your pictures also.

Debbie C.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 05:21 PM
Lord of the Arts
Lubbock

Hails from United States

I use Picasa2 alot too. It has some neat features that my other photo software doesn't have. Sometimes I haven't figured out a way to correct some things. When I get all the other colors right sometimes the purples stand out too much.
Tammy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Resting in Peace
Texas

Hails from United States

I use an old imageready, now a part of photoshop, to do editing.... but have a new digital, and despite years of pics with an old digital, have many problems to work out... by board on the easle is tilted too, and have windows on either side to get artificial readings on light...2 years ago I thought I was an expert at this, but times have changed!!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2005, 01:31 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

If you have a fairly decent camera, then do what I do ... I simply use the camera's own flash, and then I get excellent results. I sometimes have to adjust SLIGHTLY in a photo editing programme, I tend to use Coreldraw photopaint because it has some nice easy features, but alsdo have had quite a lot of success with the simplest programme of all, Microsoft Photodraw, which was part of a package of programmes which came with my computer.

Sometimes, using daylight gives me LESS better results, so now I always use the flash, somehow or other the photoediting programmes seem to understand the colour better.

Jackie
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2005, 01:54 PM

Hi, I agree with Jackie.

I used to spend hours editing the photos because they never came out the same as the painting (always had a blueish tint). I used to take the photo with the painting by the window in natural daylight. Then one day I needed to take a photo to show a client and it was a dark rainy day and the flash on the camera came on. The photo of the painting came out great. Very much the same as the colours in the painting. So from then on I only ever use the flash.

Lorraine
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Lord of the Arts
Lubbock

Hails from United States

I think it depends alot on the camera. I've had two & I always have to do some adjustments. Also, you set it to look right on your monitor but all monitors are not the same. We've got 3 at our house & they all look different.
Tammy