WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Show Off Your Work > Glass Works Showcase
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Immortalized
South Florida

Hails from United States
Let's see your "frit stringer" beads! - plus a mini-tutorial

I haven't made too many beads with frit stringer, but I'm going to start experimenting with that, and who knows what will come up! I forget which book it is that I saw a tutorial on pulling the stringer, and I think it was C. Jenkins' Beads of Glass....no?? Maybe it was her other one, Making Glass Beads. My books have been packed away since last hurricane season, and may as well stay packed away now, sheesh...

Here's a simple 'no picture' tutorial on making frit stringer: (and please, if I confuse you in any way here, let me know! )

1) Choose either a transparent or opaque rod, depending on what look you are after. (remember, you want to experiment and have fun! )

2) Melt about 3/4" to 1" of the end of the rod, but not so it drips too much out of shape. Rotate it often, and if it starts to ball up on the end a little, that's okay.

3) Your frit should already be ready (lol! ), and rather swiftly move down and roll the hot end into the frit till it's covered. Melt that in, and roll for another layer, then melt that in good, but be careful not to "boil' your frit. Twice is usually enough, but 3-4 times is good depending on how much density you want to add to your colored stringer, or if you are rolling into more than one color.

4) Hold the other end of your molten frit tipped rod on a slightly downward angle so your molten end forms a ball shape in the flame. Just like you would if you were heating up a ball of clear for encasing. Rotate as you heat gently so it won't "flop" out of shape, and it's important to make sure the frit is melted in nicely, or it will make a lumpy stringer when it's pulled out. With your other hand, use pliers or a punty to attach and pull like ordinary stringer. (heat punty end up before attaching to frit/stringer ball, of course, hehe) I use another rod of the same color for my punty.

These beads were made with oscelot spots stringer pulled with Bullseye amber and I was expecting to get "tiger stripes", but instead, I got something quite unexpected! I used the stringer over a base of the BE amber.

So let's see yours! Any kind of beads, rounds, focals, lentils, etc.... Ooooo I have some ideas that I'm going to work on as soon as the kiln finishes heating up!

my etsy

Last edited by StefaniBeads : 06-12-2005 at 02:49 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Columbia, SC

Re: Let's see your "frit stringer" beads! - plus a mini-tutorial

I pull them, but use an old 1/16th mandrel for the punty. I just keep heating it and dipping it into the frit until the gather is large enough to pull with my little hemostats. I keep those old mandrels and use them again for the same frit so the stringers are always the same. I had not thought about mixing them, but that would add another aspect to what you would get. Actually I was just wishing for whole rods of Silver Blue and Silver Green Reduction Frits yesterday. Do they have a "real name" and company of origin? Carolyn
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Carlsbad,CA

Thanks for the tutorial. It was easy to folow. What kind of glass did you use? They are beautiful
Thanks, Julia
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Immortalized
South Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaC
Thanks for the tutorial. It was easy to folow. What kind of glass did you use? They are beautiful
Thanks, Julia

I used Bullseye amber and Val's oscelot spots frit.

my etsy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Florida

Hails from United States

Hi Lisa,
Thanks for sharing. Do you think I could use Moretti amber with the oscolot spots? As I do not have bullseye! Please share more color combos when you come up with them. I have only used Val's Raku stringer and made stringer with the Iris gold chunks.
Look forward to hearing about other peoples experiments.
Lisa
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Cincinnati, OH

Hails from United States

Here's my set:
I made frit with transparent blue and shades of turquoise, rubino oro and both opaque and transparent pink. I picked it up on a white rod and pushed it across the bead. I like the streaky look it gave.
Joyce

My eBay
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Alabama

Hails from United States
Talking Re: Let's see your "frit stringer" beads! - plus a mini-tutorial

Hmm that should also work if you use stained glass using Val Cox's tutorial on pulling rods/stringers from that by rolling the end as it heats then when it gets hot attached punty on one end heat good then dip in frit, heat, dip in frit, heat, then pull glass off the other end, heat attach 2nd punty roll in heat and pull... Hmm running outside to try this... BBL
Thanks Steph for the ideas
Elizabeth
My eBay
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Land of the Midnight Sun......Alaska

Hails from United States

Excellent and beautiful!! Thanks so much!!!
~Suzy~

My Website
My Ebay
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Immortalized
South Florida

Hails from United States

Hi all!

I'm running in and out from the studio for an occasional break in the a/c! Ohhhhh, it's HOT!!

Lisa - You can use it with the Moretti, and the frit gets these cool colors to react in just a thin layer, it's amazing! The oscelot spots frit looks transparent, but they react with the amber and turn opaque. So, because it's a thin layer on the base bead, it should be safe.

Joyce - I never thought of that! And they are so pretty!! I love my new torch because it's not turning rubino into an old grape jelly shade. (yes, I'll admit that I've found long forgotten jars of ol' jelly in the back of the fridge... )

Elizabeth - Yeah, I should try this with the stained glass too. What's pretty neat is that some of the stuff I have already has swirls in it! I have a lot of two color Spectrum 96.

Suzy - You're welcome, and thank you for the compliment! I love to help out and in the process I'm learning something too!

my etsy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 04:36 PM
Immortalized
Oregon Coast- Newport/Toledo, OR & Crooked River Ranch -Central Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi Lisa
pretty beads! here is a set of silver blue frit/pulled into stringer, decorating sky blue beads, pressed in the bead squeeze and lastly...reduced for shimmer and shine

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Alabama

Hails from United States
Talking Re: Let's see your "frit stringer" beads! - plus a mini-tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by koregon
Hi Lisa
pretty beads! here is a set of silver blue frit/pulled into stringer, decorating sky blue beads, pressed in the bead squeeze and lastly...reduced for shimmer and shine

OHHHHH that is GORGEOUS...lol
Steph.. I'm not sure what kind of stain glass I have but I got 2 - 5 gal buckets for $5.00 each. I can pick out whatever I want of the scraps, some are even already cut for me... I have alot of different stuff so I think I will take samples of each and heat until they start to slump then I will know if they are compatible... but the frit I can use on all of it !! Going out there NOW!
My eBay
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Richland, WA

Hails from United States

OMG!!! Those silver blue beads are amazing!!! I'm totally jealous.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Immortalized
South Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by koregon
Hi Lisa

Kaye,

They are beautiful, wow!! The shine and your stringer control too! I love all of your work, but especially the designs you put into your squeezed beads!

my etsy
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2005, 09:41 AM

Hails from United States

Kaye, Your beads are the bomb!!!
Do you use Corina's bead squeeze to get that shape?
Here is a recent new Raku experiment.
Dots applied with a raku stringer on top of medium amber

Flame On!
Trey

EBAY AUCTIONS PAGE
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Boston, MA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniBeads
These beads were made with oscelot spots stringer pulled with Bullseye amber and I was expecting to get "tiger stripes", but instead, I got something quite unexpected! I used the stringer over a base of the BE amber.

So let's see yours! Any kind of beads, rounds, focals, lentils, etc.... Ooooo I have some ideas that I'm going to work on as soon as the kiln finishes heating up!

Lisa,

Where does the green come from? I saw these the other day (loved them) and thought they were raku stringer over olive green.

Debbie