WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Illustration
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2001, 09:38 AM
Atlanta, GA USA

Hails from United States
Post how to get started in illustration

I am just giving my two cents of experience in response to someone asking the question in the middle of another thread. I drew comics for 5 years and I got into that by attending as many comic book conventions near me that I could and meeting as many editors as I could. One thing that is important to remember is meeting artists is cool for the sake of making connections to how the business works but do not reply on one to get you work. Most artists are trying to do the same. I ghosted an artist a great deal to get into the business but actually got in on my own lead totally seperate of the guy I was ghosting. As a matter of fact, the ghosting job worked against me for a while because of the artist's reputation with editors.

I am currently drawing two children's books and about to get into magazine illustration as well. The best tool for this is the annual Children's Writers and Illustrators Market Guide which you can find at your local bookstore for around $23 or less. Hope that helps somewhat...

------------------
::have your robots spayed or neutered.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2001, 10:34 PM
Sydney,nsw,Australia

Hails from Australia
Thanks for that it was probably me you are talking about.I will keep all that in mind.Kim
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2001, 03:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Lenexa, Kansas, USA

Hails from United States
What Noir said about attending comic book conventions, applies equally well to attending science fiction conventions, if you are interested in working in the science fiction illustration field.

Whatever field of illustration you wish to get into, it's critical to talk to people already in the field, not to find work (as Noir said, they're competing for the same jobs you are, and are very unlikely to find you work. It happens, but it's rare), but to find out how to go about finding work.

People 'in the know' will be aware of the latest trends in the industry, and what publishers and art directors are looking for. They can tell you how to submit work, what kind of work to submit, what techniques, media, or 'looks' are hot--and what is not.

Good luck,

Keith.

------------------
Keith Russell
Synthetic Sky Studios
Science Fiction Fine Art
syntheticsky@hotmail.com
artkc.com/russelk.htm
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2001, 05:08 PM
Sydney,nsw,Australia

Hails from Australia
Hi Keith,thanks for that.Iwill check out local options.Kim.