Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Limited palette

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    beec

Hello everybody.

I feel so dense…

After a very long break from painting, I am attempting to get back to this after many disruptions and house moves. Brain feels frazzled, I can’t for the life of me remember what limited oil palette I used! I know you pro’s will be rolling your eyes reading this but as a novice, I have to ask for your advice. I know I need a cool and warm red, yellow and blue.
        (I’m being seduced by many beautiful advertised jewel colours.) :lol:

Please, what suggestions can you give for a limited oil palette? Mainly to use for a landscape, not pleine air.

Thank you!

Delofasht

My all purpose transparent pigment based palette is:

PY129 Azo Green
            PY110 Indian Yellow
            PR101 Transparent Oxide Red
            PV19 Quinacridone Rose
            PB27 Prussian Blue
            PW6/4 Titanium White

To make black just mix transparent colors to get a deep dark. Add in an opaque of your favorite colors to give you some variety if you like, glaze for vibrant colors over lighter tints of colors if you want high chroma. Mix the green and yellow to get a middle yellow if needed, mix the blue and green to get a more emerald green if you need, add white to anything to give opacity. So on and so on.

My full palette includes a lot of other colors, usually used to supplement in some out of gamut opaques when I need to paint more directly (for faster finishes for client work). For general painting, this is an inexpensive and versatile, if a bit slightly different, basic palette.

You have a number of colors you can swap in though, like bringing in Ultramarine instead of Prussian (sacrifices some green range), or using an opaque red instead of PR101 Transparent. These are just bringing things to tastes though.

I am sure many others will be along shortly with more standard palette colors choices as well. So pick the one that appeals to you and give it a try. Good luck!

- Delo Delofasht
            WFMartin

I used to teach oil painting at a local recreation center. I taught that class for 9 years, and during that time, several students requested that I reduce my palette of colors, because the cost of the paints were so high for them.

While I don’t rightly remember of what colors my original palette consisted, I do remember the colors with which I ended. These were the colors that I always suggested to my students, and I used the same palette of colors myself, when giving demonstrations to my students.

There was not a landscape that we could not paint, while matching all the colors of the reference photo.

Ivory Black
                Ultramarine Blue
                Burnt Umber
                Cadmium Red (usually light, or medium)
                Cadmium Yellow Light
                Titanium White

We painted a few still-lifes with this palette, as well, and while I first thought we might require an extra color or two, it wasn’t necessary.

Many times, depending upon the Reds that are in the reference photo, you may need to add an extra Red to your palette, and often you will find that it may be best to choose a nice, clean Cadmium Red for your standard palette, in case your subject may require such a high-chroma Red.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Red 9

Bill’s suggested palette is a good one; very straight-forward and covers darn near anything. The only color I might add to it would be a blue leaning green like Viridian or Phthalo, or a green leaning blue like Phthalo blue. These would make your life a little easier if you have a need for lots of cyan/aqua.

Pinguino

“Limited palette” could mean two different things: 1. A few tubes of paint that can be mixed to get a broad range of colors; 2. A few tubes of paint that are chosen so as to intentionally limit the color range available from mixing.

The second is more interesting. It forces you to focus on form and value, and to choose what do do about inaccessible colors.

For example, you could try white, black, and any one color of your choice. Yes, great art has been done that way, usually by the kind of srtist with a profound grasp of drawing.

Or, try white plus two mixing complements instead of black. Perhaps Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue. Also can produce great art. Our watercolor friends can even do without the white.

capnd

If your painting style likes palette harmony, be sure to consider how well the modern organics that are catching your eye play with the natural inorganics you probably used to painted with.

Maybe start back up with a limited earth palette using natural oxides and earths. Bone black, Red Ochre (PR102), Yellow Ochre (PY43), Raw Umber (PBr7), White. If you like landscapes, add Green Earth (PG23). You’d also need a blue for lanscapes and blue can be trick to harmonize with natural earths. Some people like a Blue Ochre (Rubalev) which harmonizes much better than any synthetic blue.

Short of that, if you want a basic synthetic palette, a mars equivelent would be something like Mars Black, Mars Yellow (PY42), Mars Red (PR101), Ultramarine (PB29), White … and perhaps a convenience green if you don’t want to mix one.

I would also add that, apart from Blue Ochre, both of these options are all price level 1 colors and will not break the bank like cads, etc. Not sure if that’s a factor.

Gigalot

You can try
                                Phthalo Blue PB15:3
                                Quinacridone Red PR209
                                Dioxazine Purple PV23
                                Bismuth Yellow PY184
                                Titanium White
                                Mars Black

Yellow Ochre

JCannon

Bill’s a great painter and, I’m sure, a great teacher. If he will forgive my impudence, I don’t see how you can get to purple or violet with just those colors.

Ultramarine is close enough to a “true” blue, capable of mixes that tend toward both green and purple. But in my experience, cad red and Ultramarine blue never make a satisfactory purple.

I would say that even the most impoverished student should acquire a cool, dark red. Maybe a quin. (Don’t we all have a PV19 somewhere in our collection?) Or any one of the Alizarin Crimson substitutes.

Believe me, my heart is with those beset by Empty Wallet Syndrome. God knows I’ve been there! But no matter how tight the budget, a dark cool red is semi-mandatory in my book.

My PR177 is from the Blick Studio line, probably manufactured by Georgian. This is nobody’s idea of snob paint. But: Good enough, and it cost only a few dollars. Even in a student line, PR177 is a powerful pigment.

I also consider Prussian Blue semi-mandatory. Even the cheapest Prussian is better than none. You may by able to do without a tube of black, since Prussian Blue and Umber make for a very useful black substitute.

Pinguino

… I also consider Prussian Blue semi-mandatory. Even the cheapest Prussian is better than none. …

Thou art a much greater painter than I, yet… I note that at Blick’s site, if you look at the artist grade paints and click for the pigment info, you will see that Blick recommends using Phthalo Blue instead of Prussian Blue. Of course, these pigments do different things, so it is a matter of application.

Dorrart

I agree with most of Bill’s colors, but to give more variety with just a few less and a few more I would do the following (similar to JCannon suggestions as well).

Cut the Ivory Black and Burnt Umber because they can be mixed using various combinations of the remaining colors and the suggested additions:

Ultramarine Blue
                                            Cadmium Red (Naphthol Red is a good Cheaper, safer, substitute)
                                            Cadmium Yellow (pale close to a real un-mixable yellow)
                                            Titanium White

Add the following:

Pthalo Blue (strong blue for mixing greens and purples, good glaze color)
                                            Alizarin Crimson ‘Hue’ (‘Hue’ is more permanent then real alizarin Crimson)
                                            Burnt Sienna (a good underpainting color for landscapes.)
                                            Hooker’s Green*

*The hooker’s green could be optional, but is a good mixing color to get blacks and browns and makes a good shadow color for trees in landscapes. It’s also more transparent than a mixed green for glazing.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

I always use all the single pigment colors listed by Bill. A palette to begin and end with. PY35; PY37 are indispensable for me.
                                            I also will use PV23 (sparingly), PY42, PB35, PO20, Burnt Sienna, and sometimes substitute PR255 for Cadmium Red. I would warn beginners not to use Phalos and multiple pigment mixes because it becomes more difficult to maintain color harmony. Also, use black sparingly, only to mute colors rather than darken them.

AnnieA

It probably would be helpful if you mentioned whether you plan to focus on any subject. Portraits, for instance, might require different hues than landscapes. Anyway, this is the simple warm/cool limited palette that was recommended to me as a beginner, made of the following single pigment paints (see also the notes below):

Cad Yellow Light (cool yellow and with a touch of cad red can be warm yellow too)
                                                Cad Red Light (warm red)
                                                Alizarin Crimson (cool red)
                                                Pthalo Blue (Green shade, PB15:3) (warm blue)
                                                Ultramarine Blue (cool blue)
                                                Raw Umber
                                                Yellow Ochre

+Titanium White

FYI, now what I tend to do is construct a limited palette for each painting with paints specifically selected for my subject and plan for the painting. This isn’t something a beginner would want to do though.

Notes:
                                                I later found that other hues were needed and added or substituted these:

[*] Substituted one of the Permanent Alizarins that are lightfast (Gamblin, W&N are good choices)
                                                  [*] Cobalt or Cerulean Blue as substitutes for the Pthalo Blue*
                                                  [*] Dioxazine violet (very strong tinter (almost as strong as pthalos) and dries very slowly) or Ultramarine Violet (weak tinter, also dries slow but not as slow as dioxazine) or Quinacridone Violet (stronger tinter) as an added violet (all of these are transparent
                                                  [*] You can also find substitutes for the cadmium hues if their toxicity is a worry for you.

Single pigment paints are preferred by many painters because paints using many different pigments are thought to be less chromatic, and harder to handle. It depends again on your subject – sometimes a less chromatic paint isn’t an issue.

* If you decide to use it, you will probably find, as most everyone does, that Pthalo blue is incredibly strong and its way too easy to let it inadvertently contaminate other mixtures. However, the problem with the two substitute blues is that they’re naturally lighter in value so which blue to use depends on what you’re painting. When a darker warm blue is needed, substituting Prussian (somewhat darker value) can work, as mentioned above, but I found that as a super fast drying paint it was very hard to handle for a beginner.

I’m one of those painters who avoids black paint. If a very dark hue is needed, using raw umber generally will work, or one can mix a chromatic black that leans in one direction or another (warm/cool). A good formula for a chromatic black is pthalo green + alizarin red (or any of the substitute alizarins), but again that will create a very strongly tinting paint. You can mix chromatic black from just about any pair of complementary colors, or from any three paints equidistant from one another on the color wheel (eg yellow+red+blue.)

My current goal is to find a way to replace the burnt umber because, as many of the earth colors do, it dries very fast – sometimes it dries on my palette during a long painting session(!) and it also tends to sink in. There’s always something…

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                [FONT=Palatino]
                                                “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Gigalot

You can mix chromatic black from just about any pair of complementary colors, or from any three paints equidistant from one another on the color wheel (eg yellow+red+blue.)

You can mix chromatic Black by adding colored paint into your black paint. For example: Prussian Blue +Lamp Black = Chromatic blue black or Chromium Oxide Green + Lamp Black = Chromatic green Black. E.t.c and e.t.c.

WFMartin

Bill’s a great painter and, I’m sure, a great teacher. If he will forgive my impudence, I don’t see how you can get to purple or violet with just those colors.

Ultramarine is close enough to a “true” blue, capable of mixes that tend toward both green and purple. But in my experience, cad red and Ultramarine blue never make a satisfactory purple.

I would say that even the most impoverished student should acquire a cool, dark red. Maybe a quin. (Don’t we all have a PV19 somewhere in our collection?) Or any one of the Alizarin Crimson substitutes.

Believe me, my heart is with those beset by Empty Wallet Syndrome. God knows I’ve been there! But no matter how tight the budget, a dark cool red is semi-mandatory in my book.

My PR177 is from the Blick Studio line, probably manufactured by Georgian. This is nobody’s idea of snob paint. But: [I]Good enough[/I], and it cost only a few dollars. Even in a student line, PR177 is a powerful pigment.

I also consider Prussian Blue semi-mandatory. Even the cheapest Prussian is better than none. You may by able to do without a tube of black, since Prussian Blue and Umber make for a very useful black substitute.

You are absolutely correct, regarding the inability of this palette to create a clean Violet, or Purple! That is the chief failing of this palette. However, for the goal of painting landscapes, as we did in my class, this was seldom necessary. Plus, the really “dirty”, grayed Purple that Ultramarine Blue and Cadmium Red created were usually quite appropriate for most landscape paintings.

The two colors that I would add to this limited palette would be the two that some others have mentioned: namely, Thalo Blue, and some sort of Magenta-ish color, such as that which you have mentioned, PV19 (usually called some sort of “Rose”.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                                        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

beec

I’m really chuffed to receive so many replies to my post!
                                                            Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

I will read and digest the suggestions, at this stage I’m not too sure what option I’ll go for!

:grouphug:

:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.