WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2005, 10:18 AM
WC! Guide
Oegstgeest

Hails from Netherlands
Re: ESP April 2005--composition 2-thumbnails

Lovely to see, especially the first one!
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2005, 11:17 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

oh this is fun!! i really like some of the ideas thrown in here--jackies' of not using tiny sketchbooks. i use a 11.x14, but my tn's are usually 2x4 or so, often crooked on the page (dunno why!) and all over, several per page. i do have some tiny books, but somehow feel cramped up in them.

also love the idea of using them later, for a work down the road. i rarely rip mine out, or toss them, simply cuz i like to look back at them. its kinda like a journal, only in pictures. i can look at them, and remember that day, what was going on, or sometimes just how i was feeling that day, maybe not even concerning art, just in general. i so believe how doing them then, could keep places in your mind much better than a photo ever will. great comments all.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Elgin Il

Hails from United States

I didn't post any more thumbnails but i have been doing them. I did 7 or 8 that I never used. But they gave me insight as to what would work from those vantage points. This was a very good thread!!!! BillF
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2005, 12:10 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Wow! Jackie, you really came through! Those are great examples. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

I don't rely on teensy sketchbooks all the time either. I just have this bitty one next to the computer. I use a biggie because I'm far too sloppy and all over the place to ever stick to little pages! Plus, I like to compare them so that I can see five or six together at one time. That helps me see the strengths and weaknesses of them, or to compare strengths to each other (or weaknesses--but let's stick to strenghts, okay? ). That in turn sparks more ideas and I'm off and running.

Does anyone else do short ones and then go longer? I do my 30 second or one minute sketches and then stretch the time up to about 5 minutes as I find a comp I'm interested in doing.

Hey Terry--thanks! Glad you agree... <high five, pastel dust flying>

Anyone else want to share? This has been a good thread. I hope there's more!

Deborah
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2005, 07:16 PM
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

not sure this is the place for this, but here goes anyhoo!

i have been really wanting to improve my drawing, i want to be able to render so well, i get accused of cheating! i was doing something of my daughter, blowing bubbles. i had sketched it out, transferred to canson, began to work. hmm, not good. something was off, just small things, but it doesn't take many of those to make something wind up way wonky!! so i took it off the easel, began again on the sketch (which was on newsprint, and i had saved it). i turned it upside down, seen some problems, but still it was off. as a last ditch effort, i traced my photo, and then took my line-traced image to compare to my bigger sketch--whoa, i could see every tiny ill-made mark! i've now done this again with a horse/cowboy i am doing. again, i can clearly see the place, even the teensy ones, where its off.

other than the fact photos lie, can anyone tell me any problems with doing this? i feel i can overcome some of the camera distortions after the drawing is well on the way. i also think this would work for thumbnails,too? would love to hear imput on this.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
California

Hails from United States

Jackie, those are very illuminating sketches! I really have a sense of your thought processes comparing the thumbnails to the paintings.

I'm going to post a couple of landscapes I more or less successfully photographed this morning, but I won't hijack the thread. So it's going out in the main soft pastels forum...
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2005, 10:47 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Was so tired tonight, but wanted to do a bit of drawing. I just love birds so here are a couple of little bird thumbnails. Was looking at some pictures in one of my art books.

Paula
Attached Images

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2005, 12:45 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

This onth, in the goals thread, I made a pact with myself to actually keep a sketchbook going and to try to sketch every day. Anyway - this sketch was done in preparation for a larger painting of a Lotus Flower:

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2005, 12:51 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

I like the way this shows your growing understanding of how this flower works...sketches are almost essential for me when it comes to flowers, especially fancy ones. This should make a wonderful near-macro painting!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2005, 08:14 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Wow--I've been a bit delinquent here...

I didn't mean to ignore your question, chewie! I guess the only problem I have with tracing is that in the end it didn't help me see better, it just weakened my observational skills. But if it's helping you to see better then I say go for it! Just don't let it take the place of drawing freehand, obviously! I think there's a difference between an excellent drawing and a photographich rendering that's a lot like the difference between live and recorded music. It's the hand of the artist showing, the real risk, the interpretation, that makes a freehand drawing exciting and interesting. You put a little of yourself into it, unlike a copy that is stiffly accurate. You know???

Paula, the birds are charming! I like the curves in the second one particularly, and the first one has a perkiness to it. Will you paint these??

Looking good, Cory--and thanks for sharing the flower here! I like the repeated rhythms, and the potential for some light and dark contrasts, too. The medium values, where the color often resides (since light colors become bleached and darks lose color), leave a lot of color possiblities for you!

Years ago a friend of mine who painted abstracts suggested that one of the things I needed to do when painting such things as your flower was to pay very close attention to the shapes of the corners. It seemed odd at the time, but it's paid off. For instance, if you look at your sketch you'll notice that both the left side top and bottom corners and the right side top and bottom corners are all one shape:

I noodled with your sketch--hope it's okay --to show you how you might reshape the corners. This helps to make them varied in size and shape overall. I usually find that going off the page in at least three places (in this case, on the top, bottom and one side) makes a close-up seem stronger and bolder.

Now, there are a lot of ways to do this and the chances are you've already gone on with more sketches, but I thought I'd share anyway!

Thanks to all of you--I'd love to see more!!

Deborah
Gouache
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2005, 09:06 PM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

Quote:
Paula, the birds are charming! I like the curves in the second one particularly, and the first one has a perkiness to it. Will you paint these??

Thanks Deborah! I'm not sure...kinda down right now. Everything I paint turns to crap. It's like I've never painted before.

Paula
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2005, 12:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Paula, been there--done that--even ripped up the tee shirt. But the good news is it won't last and the best thing to do, in my opinion, is paint through it. Or draw through it. So... a few more sketches are in order! I often get out my dog-eared copy of 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' and do the exercises again. It really helps. Blind contours, vase faces, that sort of thing. Or I do 30 second sketches--lots and lots of them. It shakes things free, somehow. Hang in there, this will pass!

Deborah
Gouache
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2005, 01:45 AM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

Thanks, Deborah! I actually decided that painting this rectangularly would look off, so went with a square format. I think this will alleviate the corners...I hope...
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2005, 11:31 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Sounds like a good solution, cory. Show us what comes of it!

Deborah
Gouache
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Massachusetts

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: ESP April 2005--composition 2-thumbnails

Thank you Dee for this wonderful lesson and Jackie too for sharing your thumbnails and finished paintings. I'm inspired! I've been taking a little time off and now I've just got to get back to work. The first thing I'm going to do is start with some thumbnails and proceed from there. I'm ready to roll!

My Wet Canvas Gallery