WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast
Franklin, TN USA

Hails from United States
Portrait - And someone's going to PAY me!

Well here it is. The value "patches" on the face are exaggerated in this photo of the painting, but I do see that I really need to do some smoothing. But am looking for suggestions and comments before I turn this over.

I had two pieces at the framers - you may remember the Son in Iraq and the My son and his baby. You know - portraits for in-home use only! Someone saw the paintings and was having some photos framed and told the framer - "have her do a protrait". Yow.

So I had one color reference 3" x 4" that was not the same shot at all and a sepia photo for the actual reference shot. So that made it hard...

Please - let me know if anything looks "off".

Johnnie

My Website: www.johnniescoutten.com
My new BLOG

She flung herself from the room, flung herself upon her horse and rode madly off in all directions.

Last edited by tURBOCAT : 04-09-2005 at 06:45 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast
Maplewood,MN

Hails from United States
Re: Portrait - And someone's going to PAY me!

THis is great!!!! The only thing that I see is the left cheek looks to be alittle too rounded, as compared to the photo. I love the horixontal planes that you had placed on her face just beautiful.

Ben
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 06:52 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

This is Beautiful Johnnie...... and not to mention impressive.... love the hair and detail in the bonnet..... its going to be stunning and the customer will love it...... yes, do keep going with the skin, adding some warm tones too .....
great job...... Love it
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Immortalized
Arizona

Hails from United States

jOhnnie, this is lovely, You've caught her expression beautifully and don't you feel great to have been commissioned in this way? congrats. I second Dawn's suggestion of warming the skin just a touch.
TJ
PS There is now a working link in the thread for Link for Hard White Eraser.

art at http://www.trilbyarnold.com art is in all of nature. It is for the artist to uncover and reveal it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 09:34 PM
A Local Legend
Langdon, Alberta

Hails from Canada

This is gorgeous, Johnnie! Third vote, here, for warming up the skin.

I would also say that the light spots in her eyes should be slightly smaller. They currently make her look like she is looking a completely different direction than she is in the photo. Just my nit pick there, so ignore it if you want...the portrait is gorgeous as is anyway.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Douglasville, GA

Hails from United States

Whoooo Hoooo!!!!!! A commission!!!!! You go girl!!!!!

I bought my first pastels almost a year ago.... then I just stared at them in their precious glory lying in their boxes for over 4 months before I had the nerve to put one to paper!!! The reason I wanted to try pastels was to try to learn to do a portrait of my grand-daughters... still haven't tried that yet! So I will be watching this closely to observe and learn... ('course Dawn could aways do a step by step of one of her portraits, too... then I could learn twice as much twice as fast!!!! )

This is a real cutie pie and you are doing her justice for sure! The crocheted hat has blown my mind... and now I eagery wait to see what you do with that delicate skin.
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
.........The Art of T.Morgan........
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 11:44 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hey!

Don't forget your mates here when ya gonna get famous

Best regards,

Bringer
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 11:56 PM

Hails from Vatican City State

You've caught a very good likeness. You might check the shape of the shadows running from the corners of her mouth down to her jawline. I agree that her left cheek is a little too full, the contour seems a little off. Very minor nits, a lovely drawing.
RT
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Enthusiast
Franklin, TN USA

Hails from United States

Goodie Goodie Goodie - thank you. There's Hope!

Ben and RT - I see what you mean about the cheek - I think it is HER left one?

Dawn and TJ - I need more warmth but this picture is really cold and will try a new shot tomorrow - that will help some.

Cori - I can try that on the eyes - thanks.

Tammy - woo hoo is right! I am tickled pink and now the heat is on!

Bringer - No chance... still figuring out what's going on with these dusty sticks!

Thank you all soooooooo much....

Johnnie

My new BLOG

She flung herself from the room, flung herself upon her horse and rode madly off in all directions.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 12:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
North Carolina

Hails from Poland

This is a very good start. I understand you will work some more on skin tones. I like the diagonal strokes. Just wanted to bring to your attention the area around the mouth right now creates a tention in her mouth. I like to apply shading from the beginning but you can do it as you go. My favorite part of drawing portrait is building the face with values. Good job!
Jolanta
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 11:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Jasper, TN (in the mountains west of Chattanooga)

Hails from United States

She's beautiful!!

Paula
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
Colorado Springs -- Pikes Peak Country!!

Hails from United States

Lovely, lovely! I think I'll just sit here looking at this awhile, then the blizzard outside awhile, then sip my sugarless mint cocoa awhile, then look at this awhile, then.....what a lovely way to spend a Sunday morning!

"Real learning comes quietly, unannounced, without a parade." Elizabeth Mowry
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 11:15 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

lookin' good, and I would think that the parents will like it a lot. They probably wont expect it to be exactly ike the photo, and in a few months, this gorgeous little face will have changed a lot anyway.

Just out of interest, this is what happens when you overlay the photo and the portrait:

as you can see, you have made the whole face a little wider than it should be, and perhaps not as long as it could be. But you have still captured a likeness, so perhaps this doesn't matter too much.

I would certainly try to soften off those horizontal pastel strokes. You dont have to always use the tip of the pastel when you work; using the side will give you a more painterly effect, less "sketchy". Have a look at thisportraits by Denis Frost (cover of an old book ), he has used the side of the pastel :

Jackie

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 04-10-2005 at 11:46 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
NC

Hails from United States

What a cute little girl! I have a soft spot for children's portraits in case you haven't noticed

I think you have done a great job at capturing a likeness, My suggestion would be to check the shape of our right cheek, and Our right eye seems to be a bit more open than it needs to be. Smooth out the pastel a bit, and punch up the deeper values some and it will be great!

Congratulations on your commission! It feels great getting paid to do what you love.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast
Franklin, TN USA

Hails from United States

Paula, Jackie, Mary and Sooz - thanks for looking. I'm liking it esp after a few more tweaks.

Jackie - I learned it here! ... checking the art on the computer with overlays... so I will show you what I had - took awhile to get the right % together and many trips back to the computer and making some printouts. But I don't think the face is quite as far off... at least from my reference here. Help if I don't have this right.

I notice I don't have as much hair in the back and this was taken before the hat was finished, as you can tell. And the chin is ever so slightly off - some of these things I have fixed since this overlay...

But ALL suggestions help - don't stop.

Johnnie

My new BLOG