WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2005, 05:39 PM
Big Island, Hawaii

Hails from United States
Does glass FADE?

I mentioned to someone that my ruby glass candlesticks look great in the window and she told me that they will fade in sunlight.

HUH?

I've seen century-old stained glass windows that are still vivid, so it doesn't make sense to me. But then, lots of things don't make sense to me.

Anybody know if this is true or just an urban legend?

thanks!
Lee
Lee-bay
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
Immortalized
Central Oregon ~ Crooked River Ranch

Hails from United States
Re: Does glass FADE?

I have been told that to...also a bead store/vintage beads...the gal told me that many of the pinks will fade in glass vintage beads..
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Enthusiast
SoCal coast

Hails from United States

My gut reaction is no -- that glass will not fade. (The paintings in St.Peter's in Rome are actually glass mosaic copies of paintings, just so that they will not fade.)

But just because it seems like it shouldn't fade, doesn't mean that it couldn't -- I'm going to try searching the internet to see if I can find an answer.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

I'd be very interested to know the answer to this too. It seems to me that if the color is IN the glass it couldn't fade but that if it is APPLIED to the glass then it could fade/rub off over time.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Southwest Missouri

Hails from United States

My mother had an old set of red colored glass candlesticks....they faded...

Kinda

It turns out they were actually painted.

My guess is the painted would wash a way a little at a time as they were handwashed over the years, hence the slight fading over the years. I solved our little mystery last year when I let them soak some of the dust off in some very hot water, by the time the water was cool enough to put my hands in, I guess I softened the rest of the paint up and well.... Mom has some very pretty clear glass candle sticks in the window now.

She is now debating if I get the pleasure of cleaning them yet again this summer and repainting them w/ a newer formula of red glass paint.

I felt really bad, her mom had had them since before my mom was born, she gave them to my mom when she was 20.....she is now 65....so 85+ years the paint lasted...not too shabby. Leave it to me to ruin an heirloom lol.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Maybe it is possible. I don't know for sure. However, I do know that certain gemstones will fade when exposed to sunlight over time. Some examples are Amethyst, Citrine, and Kunzite.

Eric
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 08:00 AM
A WC! Legend
Land of the Bluish, Smoking Mountains

Hails from United States

There is a type of glass called Ruby Glass. I think it was made in the 40's or something like that. Vases and candlesticks were made from it. It's actually a clear glass coated with a red coloring, I don't think it's an actual painting method, I think it is fired on. But over time, it can fade, chip, and peel. If it is true colored glass, it shouldn't changed color that I know of.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Big Island, Hawaii

Hails from United States

Thanks, Lenda, a fading coating makes sense. And I've seen pieces with faded or peeling coatings; they look so cheap, but they must have been pretty when new or well cared for (not to make you feel bad, semiabstract!)

New question: is there a nondestructive way to tell whether the glass is colored or coated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenda
There is a type of glass called Ruby Glass. I think it was made in the 40's or something like that. Vases and candlesticks were made from it. It's actually a clear glass coated with a red coloring, I don't think it's an actual painting method, I think it is fired on. But over time, it can fade, chip, and peel. If it is true colored glass, it shouldn't changed color that I know of.
Lee-bay
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast
New York

Hails from United States

One way to tell if 'modern' glass is coated rather than colored is to get it wet; a few years ago I bought some matte green glass candleholders on after-holidays clearance. When I washed them, the green began to peel off At least they were cheap....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast
Nashville, TN

Hails from United States

I have a ruby red glass that was passed down to me from my gransmother. It is at least 50 years old and, I have always had it in sunshine on my kitchen cabinet, and it hasn't faded a bit. In my opinion a "true" colored glass will not fade over time.

Tracey
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Enthusiast
Woodburn, Oregon

Hails from United States

I'm not sure if glass can really fade but I do know that the powder in frit can. I have a small jar of olive green frit and my frit jars are stored on a window sill. I went to use the frit today and noticed that the top 1/3 of the glass powder particles were a much lighter shade of olive than the larger bits. So maybe it can ?
Liz
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Lansing, MI

My mom and dad used to connect those glass balls that were used as decorations on lightning rods. They could never find a red one, because -- as they were told by several dealers -- they had all faded and were now clear or pink.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Bland Rapids, err, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Hails from United States

Actually, I can answer this. There was just a big discussion about this a few months ago and if I can find it I will post the link. Just have to remember what board it was on. Most definately YES, there are some glass colors that do fade, or flat out over time change color. None of these glasses are made anymore, nor have they been for many, many years. It was a type of poor-mans glass in that it was usually made into bottles or cheap gift items. The coloring that was used in the glass was toxic and cheap. There are some old blues that turn to a beautiful purple over the years and reds that simply fade away.

You will not see stained glass windows made of this glass. Stained glass makers made windows for a living and could not afford a window changing color. Back then, one bad job could ruin a family's profession. Family professions were handed down generation to generation, so the fear of being blacklisted was just not an option.

Ugh, ok, I'll go pick my brain and try to find that discussion. (that is easier said then done, trying to recall info out of the back of my head! ) I just have to remember the technical name of the glass (it does have a specific name).
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

I'm with JameyLynn-

Glass colors are caused by chemical reactions within the metals in the glass. Pure gold makes pink, cobalt makes cobalt. If the glass is brought to the molten state and a color is achieved, then that's that.

I know about that glass that Lenda referred to. I used to do restoration of church windows, and once in a rare while there would be a pink glass that had faded, but as a whole, the glass keeps it's colors.

If you go to Europe (or are already there) and check out the stained glass, the colors thake your breath away. That's original glass 100's of years old-unless iit had to be replaced from the occasional breaking. But restoration laws are very strict and most glass is simply reglued rather than doing the unthinkable and replacing it. Anyway, fading is simply not happening and some of those windows are 600+ years old.

That's my opinion, anyway!

Jude
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast
SoCal coast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoticbead
I'm not sure if glass can really fade but I do know that the powder in frit can. I have a small jar of olive green frit and my frit jars are stored on a window sill. I went to use the frit today and noticed that the top 1/3 of the glass powder particles were a much lighter shade of olive than the larger bits. So maybe it can ?
Liz

Since you say the larger bits are darker -- with transparent and transluscent glass, the larger (thicker) pieces are always more saturated in color and darker. Smaller (thinner) pieces of the same exact glass will always appear lighter. Maybe your frit didn't fade after all?