WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Documenting Project:Image Transfer to Finished Painting

Just to let you know, and to keep a promise to myself...

....am about to begin a new work and am documenting from start to finish. At some point I'll post pics as the progress is made, and then the finished piece.

I am soon off to the copy shop and will at least get a canvas prepared and the image transferred before I show anything at all.

I'll begin it with the photo images that are the very 'beginnings'.

Will be using the clay-coated paper this time.

Am not absolutely certain on canvas size yet....somewhere between 10 and 16 inches square likely. Would prefer the latter.

Wish me luck, okay?

Yeah....I know you do.

Oh! And don't hold your breath. But I will get there eventually.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 03:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Documenting Project:Image Transfer to Finished Painting

Karen, I'm sure a lot of us will be anxiously waiting and I particulary need to see how it is done, because I can't seem to get it with a paper copy.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Hails from United Nations

Karen, I am here with bells, whistles, huge support blankies, and more

Waiting patiently!!!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Yeah....' p.a.t.i.e.n.t.' 's the word.

Still haven't made it to the copy store, but all ready to go in a short while.

Chose a 16" square canvas and am just waiting to put the second coat of medium on it.

Thanks to both of you for the good thoughts.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

A little glitch, but fixed:

Opened and used the clay-coated paper today for the first time. The smooth glossiness of it, at first, makes it seem impervious to water. Since this is going to be applied after the transfer's affixed, hopefully it won't be a problem. Well, I know some of you have already used it...so am not really anticipating that.

Using the self-service photocopier, I was waiting with bated breath to see the first copy roll out. A little shocking at first, because the ink appeared to be very thick, waxy, pebbly. Very uneven.

Have attached an image from a 'wasted' copy and although it is not terribly clear because of the dark colour, perhaps you can get an idea of what I mean. There are several white areas in this image but the one noted with the arrow is where the ink had actually peeled away on its way from the machine.

Decided this must mean 'too much ink', so made an adjustment of two notches down in 'dark/light', and that solved the problem.

So now am moving on to splicing the two copies, taping them in back, and applying the medium.

Posting this might seem a bit silly to those of you who have perfected this, but for those who are just starting out, like me, it's an attempt to not have them discouraged too much, and too soon.
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I definitely want to watch this all of the way. Thank you for sharing, Karen.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Rust Belt

Hiya, dear colleague, can we back up for those in the orchestra? The balcony?

You have an image. You take it to the photocopy shop. You reproduce it on the coated paper. In this case, Talbot's unmarked paper.

Then you take it home and slop on some gel medium. How many coats? Vertically; horizontally; at right angles?

Right?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 10:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars

Then you take it home and slop on some gel medium. How many coats? Vertically; horizontally; at right angles?

Right?

I get confused, just right here. Do you let the coats dry before applying the next? The application of the gel is on the paper and on the surface you want the image on?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Rust Belt

Mary - I was trying to get Karen to step-by-step it.

How I do it: I coat the image with a thin coat (coat the other side and hang it up to DRY on an old wooden drying rack. It dries very fast all things considered and if you are in a hurry, at this stage, I'm not: you can use a hair dryer to move it along.

I probably coat front and back three times with these thin (not running) applications and if I am in a hurry (again this is rare as I am always thinking about what I want to do) - I let them dry thoroughly.

If I don't use them immediately (the next day) I put them between "release paper" to keep them from sticking to anything especially each other.

I am curious to hear what Karen is doing.

Karen, oh, Karen, oh, Karen
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Rust Belt

Pitfalls, Challenges, Suggestions:

Coat bi-directionally - one way and the other to ensure you've covered the entire image.

Don't cut out the image but rather use edges so you can pick the coated image up with your fingers/hands.

Make sure you don't create streaks, bubbles or noticeable imperfections as these will your transfer(s).
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Rust Belt

Prepare your other surface only when you are ready to make your transfer.

Liberally coat the substrate - with several bi-directional coats of medium. Allow them to dry naturally or dry them with a heat gun (have the heat gun at your ready).

Set up your area with your substrate; your images laid aside; a heat gun (if you like); your light weight iron; your exacto knife or scissors, etc.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Rust Belt

This can be the beginning of the rough draft for an article.

Just need the pictures.

Karen is providing us with those -

Karen? Karen?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:

I probably coat front and back three times with these thin (not running) applications and if I am in a hurry (again this is rare as I am always thinking about what I want to do) - I let them dry thoroughly.

Okay...now I'm lost....
I only coat the non-image side when I'm adhering the paper to the canvas. I don't coat the back side at all when I'm doing transfers. Because I presumed it wouldn't allow the water to penetrate through the stuff that has to be peeled off.

I am also waffling on whether to use glossy liquid medium as I have previously (with which I have already coated the canvas 3 times), or try the matte gel that I have here. Seems to me the gel might give a bit of extra body to the transfer. I would apply 2 or 3 coats of this (image side only).

Advice? I'm in no rush...

Quote:
I am curious to hear what Karen is doing.
Karen, oh, Karen, oh, Karen

Well actually I am planning a step-by-step. Right from conception...lol.
When I was about to send the first scan here, I accidentally deleted the entire folder of progress pics! I have just gotten them back from disk.

Can give a glimpse from original photos right through to final concept (photoshop image) right away if you like. Would show what I'm shooting for. And then we can all have a huge laugh when I flub things later.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Rust Belt

Fire away with all the cannons, although I am starting to feel really sleepy.

You have Talbot's book at the ready, don't you? I have probably made a zillion adaptations since I took his workshop, but I believe even then we coated both sides. He has this one room with one whole wall of racks - he offered me the free use of his studio if I wanted and I could prep his images

I always coat both sides of the image. I generally wait until the end to see what part(s) I want to transfer and then cut them out (remember I'm mixing and matching often) so this is an important advantage.

I think in the long run it doesn't matter whether you use the gloss or the matte. I've alternated by virtue of what was handy but if I am doing a piece that I want to ensure is going to transfer, I think I unconsciously follow Jonathan's methods more exactly.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Rust Belt

I wouldn't worry about the water's ability to remove the medium. Water moves mountains!

I've done these transfers with gesso - a much heavier weight medium with no problem. The only challenge (the big P = patience). With the gesso I need more elbow-grease, but not so much as it doesn't work.