WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
'Super-sizing Photocopy Transfers

It's a pretty simple idea, and I have yet to try it. Here is is anyway....

I am working on a series where either image transfers or applicatons are required, and some of them will be sizeable. (I am using photocopying to enlarge digital photos for much of this. One nice feature of this is that blowing them up by photocopying eliminates the 'pixelled' appearance of digital images which have been stretched beyond their limits).

Since the mirrored image is placed face down on the substrate, I had considered using transparencies for the transfers because the see-through aspect would allow more accurate seaming if one wanted to piece together two transfers. That didn't work so well for me, especially at this size.

Am attaching my current plan using photocopies on paper. The side shown in the diagram is the one which is naked paper.....no coating required. The opposite side is the one with 2 or more applications of acrylic medium.

I am planning to use masking tape or tiny easy-peel stickers on the back to keep the two sheets perfectly aligned after cutting a precise splicing seam with the pieces slightly overlapped on a good sound flat surface.

After they are taped on the back, I think I will run a couple of thin extra coats of the medium over the image side seam, just for 'good measure'.

Once the image is placed on the substrate and secure, I will carefully peel of the stickers/tape and proceed with the heat application and then the peeling off.

If this is successful it means that I can transfer one image whose overall dimensions are about 20 x 16 inches. Or 10 x 32. Or 11 x 40. Or...or....hey! Who knows?!!!

Just a thought....wanted to share.

(P.S. One additional thought: I am preferring transfers to applications because if one need to re-work (and I am prone to blundering something awful) it's much easier to paint over than peeling off paper and trying to restore the original pristine canvas surface.)
Attached Images

Last edited by karen m : 04-04-2005 at 01:49 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 01:48 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations
Re: 'Super-sizing Photocopy Transfers

We definitely want to see the results when you've pulled this off!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Gotcha!!! I'm not sure I like the use of the phrase 'pulled this off'. Considering my usual luck.

But I will definitely show results. Likely be a day or two though. Especially for anything of much size. I'll need to get more copies done...not sure I can manage that today.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 01:57 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Wonderfully ambitious, Karen. Can't wait to see how it works out.

Now, a tiny bird in John Digby's book on collage helped me to make lapping images a little bit easier although again a patient hand is the only hand that helps. I am not known for my patience!

The book, unfortunately, is OOP but is among the few I treasure--not so much for its instruction, limited, but for its wealth of collage examples.

What Digby does is overlap at critical stages to match and then goes in with a scalpel or very sharp extaco and gets the edges tight.

I can't wait to see how you SUCCEED with this - off to work now.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 03:01 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars
Now, a tiny bird in John Digby's book on collage helped me to make lapping images a little bit easier although again a patient hand is the only hand that helps. I am not known for my patience!

The book, unfortunately, is OOP but is among the few I treasure--not so much for its instruction, limited, but for its wealth of collage examples.
Nice going, Zoe -- you've set off a run on the last remaining four copies available at used booksellers! I went to amazon to find it, clicked on the first available used copy and it was already gone! Darn -- another $48 out the door... BTW, there are only two copies left, for those of you who just can't stand the suspense.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 03:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I am going to be waiting anxiously before trying anything else!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
What Digby does is overlap at critical stages to match and then goes in with a scalpel or very sharp extaco and gets the edges tight.

Actually Talbot shows this in the little book too, I think. I already have the cutting board....tres expensive, but now's the time to use it. Also got a special little roller-type cutter...package warns the edges are very sharp. I have yet to use it, but will treat it with great respect. Also have exactos on hand.

Using Talbot's little iron makes things a lot easier too, because you can pin-point small areas to attach initially and then work out from there. So could actually position the seam area first thing. I find it best to work from the centre or thereabouts outward with these anyway.

Quote:
I can't wait to see how you SUCCEED with this - off to work now.

Thanks for the confidence, Zoe. Have finally mustered up some of my own, too. Sooooo....yep....off to work!!!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Hey Mary....DON'T!!!!
Don't wait for me....do your beautiful thing.

It's going to take me at least two days to have anything to show you...considering I have yet to determine which image to use, get the copies done, coat everything that needs to be.

And furthermore......the studio is going to need a major cleaning up and tidying before I can actually accomplish anything. Wish you could see it!!!

On second thought....glad you can't!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Rust Belt

Karen, I have complete confidence in you. And I remember, now that you mention it, that Talbot also juxtaposes two images in the little book - so you have the instructions or the idea.

One of Jonathan's strengths, among several, is his capacity for innovation. I admire his inventiveness and willingness to share and explore.

You are on your own exploration and I'm glad to tag along.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast
Near Toronto, originally from Essex, UK

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen m
Once the image is placed on the substrate and secure, I will carefully peel of the stickers/tape and proceed with the heat application and then the peeling off.

I am familiar with the process you describe apart from the fact that the image is removed from its support paper (by dissolving in water) BEFORE applying to substrate. i.e. you would have in your hand a thin acrylic piece with image embedded in it. This would then be applied to whatever you are working on.

Can you please explain the heat-setting process when you do this.

Glenn
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Rust Belt

Glenn, so glad you dropped by. Karen can give you her process, but generally we are mostly doing a trick Jonathan Talbot helped promote.

He has a small book out that explains it in great detail and is very inexpensive.

You put the image embedded in medium onto your substrate also primed and then with a wet damp cloth you gently remove the backing. You've established an integrated transfer on to your canvas/board/paper. Simple but very lovely and dangerously addictive!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensman
Can you please explain the heat-setting process when you do this.

Yes....first you coat the substrate with at least two coats of glossy acrylic medium and allow it to dry. Then the image is coated with same (image side of paper only).

Then you place the copy, image side down onto the substrate, postioning it as you want.

Then the heat application, which is basically ironing all over on this surface. It's best to put a piece of release paper between the paper and the iron surface. This will firmly adhere the transfer to the substrate. Once cooled, which takes only a couple of minutes, you apply water with a brush to soak the paper. Give it a few short minutes and then begin peeling away the paper. Once you run out of paper peeling off, but you know there is still some there.....get it dry again (I use a portable hair dryer) and begin with the water application and the peeling again. Repeat till all excess paper is off.

In another thread I mentioned that since I don't especially like using my fingers for this, a crumpled up bit of pantyhose seems to have just the right tooth for doing this and without wrecking the transfer.

You'll develop a feel for how gentle to be doing this.....it can be tricky, but it works pretty well.

Hope I haven't been too repetitious...there's been quite a bit said about this already in other threads. If you can read through those you'll get a better idea of the problems you might encounter. But, more importantly....suggestions on how to avoid them.

And now.....am off to check your profile. Another Canuck! And a Torontonian, to boot, huh?!

--------------------------------------
P.S. I began doing this stuff using a household iron, but have since purchased a tacking iron which gives much more control over the process.
You can see it here:

http://www.talbot1.com/collage_supplies/index.html

Does this help at all? Hope so.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast
Near Toronto, originally from Essex, UK

Hails from Canada

Yes, it does help, Karen, and Zoe. I guess I have tried this technique in the past but without using the heat-setting. Put two wet medium-coated pieces together, pushed flat and waited to dry. Then removed paper as above. I wasn't happy with the result since the image was way too broken up. Now I'm going to have to re-try with your method.

Glenn
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensman
Yes, it does help, Karen, and Zoe. I guess I have tried this technique in the past but without using the heat-setting. Put two wet medium-coated pieces together, pushed flat and waited to dry. Then removed paper as above. I wasn't happy with the result since the image was way too broken up. Now I'm going to have to re-try with your method.
Glenn

Really eager to see how you made out with this. May take a bit of patience and more than one try though. Until you get the 'feel' for it.

I understand exactly what you are talking about above. Wet just didn't work for me. Actually...this was more in the 'collage' aspect. Also, I wanted to paint over after applying, and if I did happen to get a fairly flat and smooth surface, that was totally ruined once I started painting over with the acrylic.

One more thing....and this applies only to 'applications' really. Talbot suggests at least two coats of medium front and back when applying images, i.e. adhering paper to canvas. I would suggest a very thin coat on top before applying, and perhaps another thin coat afterward. Because when the iron's applied over this coating (if for any reason you would want to) it can damage the finish of the top coat of medium.

This happened to me once when I decided I needed to flatten in a couple of spots, or wanted to do a transfer on top of an applied photocopy.

Oh gee.....so many words here. Hope they make some kind of sense.

Anyway...will be eager to hear back when you've done it.