WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Edmonton

Hails from Canada
photocopy transfers

I have tried photo transfers a number of times, and have never managed to get successful results. I managed to transfer a tiny portion of a photocopy using non-acetone nail polish, but I haven't been able to reproduce even that. I have rubbed it on with a q-tip, poured it on, and sponged it on both surfaces. I have rubbed lightly, and rubbed so much that the paper started to disintegrate. All I have managed to get is frustrated.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks

Susan
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2005, 10:04 PM

Hails from Canada
Re: photocopy transfers

Susan,

Not sure if this is what you are looking for or not. I have not tried either one yet so I can't actually tell how well it works.

http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/acrylicgeltransfers.htm or this one:

http://www.dotcalmvillage.net/nowwha...transfer1.html

Hope this helps,
Ramie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Edmonton

Hails from Canada

Thanks Ramie.

I guess I should have been a bit more specific - I have seen these two sites, but it doesn't quite do what I am trying to achieve. I have tried the acrylic gel transfers, and leave a bit of a goopy plastic coating that I don't like. I am trying to get an image into an altered book that looks like it was part of the original printing. I am also trying to do the same thing on raw untreated canvas, and I just want it to look like the image was printed right on the canvas. I have read a number of sites and messages that talk about using nail polish remover or acetone, which just softens the ink enough that it can transfer to another surface with a bit of rubbing. I also heard someone mention that the non-acetone nail polish remover is supposed to work really well, but none of these techniques work for me.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Susan, I've been experimenting a lot lately with image transfers too. I tried the method you describe, as well as using a xylene pen. Didn't have any luck at all.

The most successful image transfers apparently involve the use of acrylic gloss gel medium applied to the surfaces you wish to transfer to and from.

If you scroll through the last 4 or 5 pages of posts in 'mixed media' and watch for any thread title that mentions image transfers you will find a wealth of information which should help you out.

Good luck! Takes a lot of patience and persistence to get the hang of it. Keep trying.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2005, 11:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Hails from United Nations

Hi Karen - your image transfer was or rather IS a huge success. I've just seen it. And Mary's work is top-of-the-line, don't you think with that ancient cave appearance.

Susan, transfers are a snap if you accept they take time and that they aren't perfect. Or at least that's how I approach it.

I am thinking of writing an article for Wetcanvas on image transfer as it appears that many people are after a simple or more simple solution.

I don't suggest going back to the nail-polish, acetone-based products. While they are hugely successful, most of the time, they are also the most toxic.

The simplest way to integrate an image as a transfer is to create body - you can use medium, chaulking, gesso, many different products. Sometimes it's hit and miss, other times it is sheer "wonder."

Of the hit and miss approaches I've had the highest success rate with this combination: medium, clay coated paper, heat and patience. And a clean damp rag or Karen's pantyhose alternative for removing the excess paper.

I'm still living in the non-technical age and have no image immediately to share, but I have successfully transfered images into an "altered book" - and certainly varying successes on other supports.

Take a look around as Karen suggested. I believe we've been talking on and off about transfers for a few months.

Ask some specific question(s)! Enjoy and Welcome!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 05:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Susan, welcome to Mixed Media. The transfers in your link looks very interesting to me, as well as the writing, I have to read it carefully. I have only tried to transfer a way that Zoe suggested by transferring an image photocpied on a transparency. I applied metalic acrylic paint to the surface I wanted the image on, put the transparency over it and burnished with the bottom of a spoon. To me the image in the link below came out perfect and I didn't have any trouble with it. It was transferred onto paper over canvas and the other image of my other thread was transferred onto plaster which caused it to be a little blurry.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...hreadid=258375

I want to try other ways to be able to campare.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 09:54 PM

Hails from United States

Hi,
I have hqd much success with 'matte meduim" transfers or "gel medium" transfers. This is what I do:

I first make sure the image is 'photocopied' not inkjet printed. Then I paint on several coats of meduim letting each coat dry before painting again. After you have painted at least 3 layers of medium and let dry, take the image and palce it in warm water for a minute or so, image side down. Take the image out and start to rub off the paper on the backside. You will come up with a printed image that is semitransparent. Be carful though, the image is very thin at this point, so it tears easily.
Good Luck
Carole
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 10:04 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars

Susan, transfers are a snap if you accept they take time and that they aren't perfect. Or at least that's how I approach it.

I am thinking of writing an article for Wetcanvas on image transfer as it appears that many people are after a simple or more simple solution.

OH!!!!

I hope you do...I just did my first transfer......caulk.....I feel like I know NOTHING about this process

And at the risk of being called "LAZY"...I don't want to plow through a bunch of threads

I have this feeling that I am missing the CONCEPT itself
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2005, 10:22 PM
Rust Belt

Carole, that is an excellent way to make a decal transfer. Susan did not want to approach her transfers this way as I understood her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artchic
Hi,
I have hqd much success with 'matte meduim" transfers or "gel medium" transfers. This is what I do:

I first make sure the image is 'photocopied' not inkjet printed. Then I paint on several coats of meduim letting each coat dry before painting again. After you have painted at least 3 layers of medium and let dry, take the image and palce it in warm water for a minute or so, image side down. Take the image out and start to rub off the paper on the backside. You will come up with a printed image that is semitransparent. Be carful though, the image is very thin at this point, so it tears easily.
Good Luck
Carole

Pam - look for an article in the Spring issue of WC How'd ya do with the caulk. Clear or white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampe

OH!!!!

I hope you do...I just did my first transfer......caulk.....I feel like I know NOTHING about this process

And at the risk of being called "LAZY"...I don't want to plow through a bunch of threads

I have this feeling that I am missing the CONCEPT itself
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by artchic
After you have painted at least 3 layers of medium and let dry, take the image and palce it in warm water for a minute or so, image side down. Take the image out and start to rub off the paper on the backside. You will come up with a printed image that is semitransparent. Be carful though, the image is very thin at this point, so it tears easily.
Good Luck
Carole

I haven't tried this, but it would seem to me it would be so much less fragile if you placed this on the substrate first and then rubbed off the paper. Just curious about this....and maybe I am misundertanding?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 01:31 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

I think you might have better luck with this type of transfer if you use a Chartpak blender pen rather than nail polish remover. Most big art supply stores will carry these. The Stewart Superior Co. also makes a product called Transfer Ink, which does a good job; you can typically find it at rubber stamp and scrapbooking supply stores.. As Zoe indicated, transfers are rarely going to be "perfect," but this is part of their charm.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Zoe...I used white caulk....followed Claudine Hellmuth's instructions....

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 05:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Pampe, that really looks nice and very clean. Did you burnish the image on or use heat? I am so new to this and there are so many methods, but it looks like you had no trouble at all.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 06:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

LOL..I am so new...I have no idea what you are asking....LOL

I applied the caulk, applied the image..smoothed it out with a brayer..lightly

Dried it for 24 hours....then soaked it well...and scraped the paper off (actually rubbing it off with my fingers)...then let it dry

On this one...I washed a light quin gold wash over it when it was dry
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Rust Belt

Pam, I am SO delighted this worked SO well for you. I have several other recipes for caulk - one just recently by Lesley Riley. But Hellmuth's is good.

Love it. May ask you to include it in the article I am busily planning in my head

Take care, and keep at it; they are so much fun!