WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:23 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Northeast Ohio

Hails from United States
Bleeding Heart Tutorial

This is a rundown on the basic methods I used to make bleeding heart pendant-style beads.

You will need:
A rod of white
A rod of rubino or other transparent pink or red
A prepared mandrel
Some sort of tapered shaping tool. I used my razor blade/pin vise contraption but this would be a good use for Corina's magic wand, or a small stump shaper. Even a butter knife...whatever you have.

The first step in this, and what inspired it all to begin with, is Jinx Garza's puffy heart tutorial. This was published in one of Corina's Spotlights, and can also be found HERE.

When you get to the point where the puffed heart is mashed, but before it is creased down the center, you will turn it into a bleeding heart flower by cloaking it in the pink or red transparent.

It is very helpful to have reference pictures of real flowers in view whenever you are trying to replicate them in glass. I had at least 9 different bleeding heart pictures taped to the wall around my torch as I was working and it really helped develop perspective and a plan for how to proceed. Try to get pictures from all different angles of the flower.

Here is a progressive set of drawings showing the order the pink was applied. Smooth, soupy hot stripes are applied side by side and touching to avoid trapping air channels. I applied the same stripe to each side, alternating, until I hit the shoulders of the heart, where I applied a thick striped right over the shoulder, bridging the stripes on the front to the stripes on the back. You will melt these in very slowly so that the surface of them is smooth, but is not melted into the base white heart.

Use your tapered tool to push the transparent as close to the mandrel as possible.

When you are happy with the shape and the coverage of the pink, carefully spot heat the lowest edge of pink, touch it with the end of a hot rod of clear and pull them down into a graceful point.

Spot heat the center of the flower where the cleavage would be and pressed your razor tool into the glass to form the cleft of the heart.

Reheat the whole heart carefully to relax it as much as possible, then pop it into the kiln to anneal.

This tutorial is for the simplest of the bleeding hearts I have shown in this set. You can embellish them even further, as I have done with the 'focal'. My original plan was to do a strand of them as they appear in nature, where the blooms closest to the main stem of the plant are larger and more progressed in bloom than the ones at the tips of the branches. Each one of these was large enough to use as a focal if the set were seperated.

I etched mine and it really made them appear more real, but they were very pretty left sparkly too.

I hope you have fun trying these! Sell them, give them to your mother, donate them to your garden club's benefit auction, I don't mind....just don't eat them. They don't taste nearly as good as they look. LOL
--Winston Churchill

Last edited by Moth : 03-29-2005 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added a step
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States
Re: Bleeding Heart Tutorial

Mary,

I've never seen a Bleeding Heart flower, but yours are incredible! Very very beautiful, and thanks for the tutorial. I think I'll make one for myself. What a concept!

Rose
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Mary - how very generous of you to post this tutorial. Your bleeding heart beads are amazing! I am so impressed with how gorgeous and real they look. I love spring flowers - they are my favorite, and yours just made me smile. And all the tips you included in this tutorial are awesome. Thank you so much for sharing. /grace
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Roanoke, Virginia

Hails from United States

This is one of my favorite flowers. These beads are beautiful. Thank you for sharing this technique.

debbie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Oregon

Hails from United States

Excellent tutorial! A definite 5 star - can't wait to try it today. Thanks for sharing!
Jenny
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 11:50 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Mary, what gorgeous bleeding hearts! They look absolutely real.

Thanks for sharing your tutorial, definitely deserves a rating!!

All the best,
Bonnie
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
I live in the Netherlands, in Utrecht, a town close to Amsterdam

Hails from Netherlands

Mary you are just too generous! I love those!!! five stars for you is just not enough!

Love, Suzanne
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Tri-Cities-the armpit of Washington

Hails from United States

Mary,
Thank you for sharing this tutorial on how you made your bleeding heart flowers. I gave it a 5 star rating.
I love bleeding hearts and you did a beautiful job creating them in glass.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 12:15 PM

Mary;

What a wonderful tutorial! Right now there is a small bleeding heart plant growing in a flower bed near the gate in our backyard. I walk past it each time I go to my studio. It's been blooming for a couple weeks. I have to tell you that every time I see it I think of you and your beautiful bleeding heart glass beads!

Thank you so much.

Jennifer
Highland Goldsmiths
NW Oregon
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Valparaíso - Chile

Hails from Chile

Mary, thank you for sharing this tutorial.
Ana María

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth
This is a rundown on the basic methods I used to make bleeding heart pendant-style beads.

You will need:
A rod of white
A rod of rubino or other transparent pink or red
A prepared mandrel
Some sort of tapered shaping tool. I used my razor blade/pin vise contraption but this would be a good use for Corina's magic wand, or a small stump shaper. Even a butter knife...whatever you have.

The first step in this, and what inspired it all to begin with, is Jinx Garza's puffy heart tutorial. This was published in one of Corina's Spotlights, and can also be found HERE.

When you get to the point where the puffed heart is mashed, but before it is creased down the center, you will turn it into a bleeding heart flower by cloaking it in the pink or red transparent.

It is very helpful to have reference pictures of real flowers in view whenever you are trying to replicate them in glass. I had at least 9 different bleeding heart pictures taped to the wall around my torch as I was working and it really helped develop perspective and a plan for how to proceed. Try to get pictures from all different angles of the flower.

Here is a progressive set of drawings showing the order the pink was applied. Smooth, soupy hot stripes are applied side by side and touching to avoid trapping air channels. I applied the same stripe to each side, alternating, until I hit the shoulders of the heart, where I applied a thick striped right over the shoulder, bridging the stripes on the front to the stripes on the back. You will melt these in very slowly so that the surface of them is smooth, but is not melted into the base white heart.

Use your tapered tool to push the transparent as close to the mandrel as possible.

When you are happy with the shape and the coverage of the pink, carefully spot heat the lowest edge of pink, touch it with the end of a hot rod of clear and pull them down into a graceful point.

Spot heat the center of the flower where the cleavage would be and pressed your razor tool into the glass to form the cleft of the heart.

Reheat the whole heart carefully to relax it as much as possible, then pop it into the kiln to anneal.

This tutorial is for the simplest of the bleeding hearts I have shown in this set. You can embellish them even further, as I have done with the 'focal'. My original plan was to do a strand of them as they appear in nature, where the blooms closest to the main stem of the plant are larger and more progressed in bloom than the ones at the tips of the branches. Each one of these was large enough to use as a focal if the set were seperated.

I etched mine and it really made them appear more real, but they were very pretty left sparkly too.

I hope you have fun trying these! Sell them, give them to your mother, donate them to your garden club's benefit auction, I don't mind....just don't eat them. They don't taste nearly as good as they look. LOL
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast
Michigan

Hails from United States

Absolutely beautiful, and so kind of you to share -- THANK YOU!

"I am not greedy, but I like a lot. "
- William "Boss" Tweed 1823-1878
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Los Angeles

Hails from United States

thank you Mary
your florals are always an inspiration
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

Your bleeding hearts are so beautiful. Thank you for the tutorial.

Suzanne

'Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monas materiam possit materiara?'
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Greenbelt, Maryland

Hails from United States

Thanks, Mary, for being so generous! All of your work is beautiful, and these bleeding hearts are especially so. Can't wait to give these beauties a try!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast
Bucksport ME

Hails from United States

Mary,

Those bleeding hearts are the most beautiful beads I think I have EVER seen. I love them. I'm going to get brave and try to make one but nothing can top yours. Thank you for the tutorial. I, also, rated it with 5 stars.

Sue
The present is a gift