WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Resting in Peace
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Round bin 26/52--Olga's Torcello

Hi all!

It's week 26 and Jaytee and,I are half way through our challenge Hard to believe...

The milestone notwithstanding, I barely made it here tonight: I've been traveling and there was nothing left in my "just in case" stash...so I spent today painting. The result does look rushed....but I had fun all the same.

My subject was the basilica on Torcello, an island near Venice. It's ancient and has gorgeous mosaics inside... and I love its perfect proportions and the way the round parts fit in with the rectangles...

12x16" Arches 140 lb, CP

FOr better or worse, I am still too close to see it "as it really is"... so, as always, I'd appreciate comments, critiques and sugestions.

And hopefully tomorrow I'll have a chance to catch up a bit with all the paintings I missed while away.

Thanks for looking and for all the support we've been getting... It certainly keeps me going

Olga

P.S. Thought Jaytee would have been here hours before me since she was done this morning already....wonder what she's up to??
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 PM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Round bin 26/52--Olga's Torcello

You made a nice job of a very complicated building, Olga. Shadows in the collonade are excellent.

Only slight nit is a slight flattening of left side of main dome and also edge of roof above window.

Doug
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 06:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Kansas

Hails from United States

Olga!! This can't be a quick painting!! It looks like it took a lot of work and a lot of time!! Especially painting all those little tiles on the roofs. Love the architecture of this and the deep shadows you have under the archways...beautiful colors in this. Folliage is very nice too!!

P.S. I'm guessing Jaytee fell asleep. This is part of what she said in the Wash today:

you mean the clocks went forward SATURDAY night ? ooops

Now for a long hot something........ shower or bath? bath or shower?

be back after supper to post challenge...... if I dont fall asleep !!!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Resting in Peace
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Doug--thanks for the perspective check...I think you are right, it looks flat; it did to me when I was drawing it as well... The thing is I think it looks like that on the photo as well??? Or am I missing something?(Torcello

Patty--I spent most of the day at it... the tiles went quick, but drawing took a while. Thanks for the nice words...
Lol--about Jaytee...guess she'll show up eventually

Olga
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 07:12 PM
Resting in Peace
Kington, Herefordshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Here I am folks......... yes, fell asleep after supper !!!!!

Olga ....... it really does look as though you enjoyed this ! The colour is strong as befits the complex interlocking shapes of the composition which I like enormously...... I could nit pick some of them....... the collonade arch 2nd from left for example........ but dont think it matters here as there is an air of bravura about this painting..........

The only thing I have a slight problem with is the various roof tiles.......they draw my eye ... perhaps they could be knocked back a tad? Or maybe unified with a light wash of something?

Raising glass to the next half year
All my pastel portraits HERE ....currently being updated! Website : www.JayteesArt.co.uk : also needing updating ! ...... and over in Facebook 'Self Portraits Studio' and just re-discovered this wonderful group here 'Self Portraits Join in the Fun'
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 08:22 PM
A Local Legend
Near Amarillo, Texas

Hails from United States

Olga, you did this today!!! WOW! You are a fast painter. This is very pretty. I love the tree on the left hand lower side.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Resting in Peace
NE Georgia, USA

Hails from United States

I will just say, Olga, that I think I like this one best
of all I've seen so far... it is really beautiful...

Jo in Georgia

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 09:51 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Olga this si just super, like JT tho', I thionk the roof tiles are a little too distracting, particulary the front ones. May a wash back is all??

JJ
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Resting in Peace
Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Round bin 26/52--Olga's Torcello

Olga, love the disparate roof lines. However, I agree that the tiles in the roofs are a bit too "in your face" and could use a little "smooshing" together. (Don't you just love that technical term "smooshing?")

Your foliage is particularly pleasing in this one.

Lyn
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 03:44 AM
Immortalized
Verviers, Belgium

Hails from Belgium

NO! NO! I love the roof tiles! I love the rhythm that the roof tiles, the bricks, the stained glass, and the foliage give this painting.

The roof tiles grab my eye. They draw me in. They make me think of mosaics. Then I see the bricks. More mosaic. Then the stained glass windows. Then the foliage. Then I start to travel around all those wonderful arches, and across the dome of the roof. This is a painting I can spend some time in.

Wonderful job, Olga!!

Kate
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States

Hi Olga,

I've got this photo of yours saved in My Favorities folder in the IL because it has such wonderful geometric shapes in it.

You've done a fabulous job painting it, can't believe you were able to turn this out in one day!

I can see how the roof tiles could be toned down to get a more realistic look, but I felt the way Kate so wonderfully described it when I looked at the painting. I like the way they suggest mosaics too and the colors liven the solemn structure behind and under them so well.

Very nice work.

Sylvia
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Resting in Peace
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Thank you everybody for looking and commenting

Jaytee--I totally agree about lots of nits... that arch did get too narrow, for sure. I am of two minds about the tiles, they are certainly not realistic--but I kind of like the spots... And a s for bravura--you surely found a positive in the fact that I was rushing like mad . Thanks for keeping me company for the past (and future) 26 weeks

Celeste--thank you! It was a bit of a hurried job... and I did spend much of the day at it, but it's simple enough to finish in a day

Jo--thanks so much!

JJ--thank you ! Yes, a wash back would make the tiles lie down better and perhaps look more realistic... but I am still not sure what if anything I want there...

Lyn--to smoosh or not to smoosh is a question I am still pondering Thanks for stopping byand your encouragment for all these weeks!

Kate--it looks like the "smooshers" are in the majority, while I am still sitting on the fence. Thanks for supporting the "distinct splotches" section...

Sylvia--It is a fantastic building...And we had a wonderful time getting all the way out to Torcello and seeing the isalnd and the mosaics. I can't wait to see your version! I think, I am going to stare at this for a bit before I decide whether to do something more to the roof or not... Both you and Kate sound pretty convincing to me...but so do Jaytee, JJ and Lyn. Hmmmm...

Thanks again everyone!

Olga

Last edited by Olga : 03-29-2005 at 10:26 AM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend
Hereford, England

Hails from England

Olga another great painting, it would have taken me a day to draw it! Love the warmth and the deep, dark shadows. I'm in 2 minds about the tiles, though - I partly like them, but also wonder what they'd look like with a unifying wash. Lots of help, eh? lol

Ruth

My RedBubble*~*~*~*~*My Photos*~*~*~*~*My work on Etsy *~*~*~*~*MY WEBSITE! (Please sign the guestbook.)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hails from Argentina

Hi Olga, I like the composition you've made with such complex shapes. There are some interesting synthesis and the light/shadows scheme is very good.
Congrats on your 26th
Alex
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-30-2005, 12:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Bowmanville Ontario

Hails from Canada

Congratulations Olga on the milestone. I really enjoy the different styles that you both are developing in this challenge.

Wonderful painting this, I love the earth tones and the dark shadows especially. Only suggestion would be to darken the tiny shadows on the mid level roofs, and on the left side of the dome to mimic the deeper tones under the colonade.

See you at the finish line.

Chris

"When art critics get together they talk about Form and Structure and Meaning. When artists get together they talk about where you can buy cheap turpentine." Pablo Picasso