WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Windsor, California Sonoma County - Gateway to The Wine Country!

Hails from United States
Cool Image transfer -> Canvas

I have heard that lazertran with Golden fluid is the best to use. Has anyone used it??
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2005, 03:12 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Image transfer -> Canvas

Hi, and welcome to WC and Mixed Media. I did my first transfer two weeks ago. I transpered an image from a transparency on to a canvas panel using Golden metallic paint as the medium. I was amazed at the way it transferred. I'm sure others will see your post and they have much more experience than I do, at transfers. You will get a lot of good information here.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm A Dreamer
I have heard that lazertran with Golden fluid is the best to use. Has anyone used it??

I'm not sure if you mean using the Golden fluid as the transfer medium? Because if you do, it really shouldn't be necessary. Lasertran is actually a decal I believe. The kind I have is water-soluble and you simply take an inkjet print, when dry, and soak it in water quite quickly. And then the decal slides off onto the substrate.

There are a couple or three different types of Lasertran...some for silk, for instance, but I have only used the above.

Hope this is a bit of help.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlelevier
I did my first transfer two weeks ago. I transpered an image from a transparency on to a canvas panel using Golden metallic paint as the medium. I was amazed at the way it transferred.

Hi there Mary....

This is soooo embarassing to have to ask....perhaps I have forgotten. Did you actually show us this, i.e. in 'colours most comfortable with' thread?

Also...is there a post where I can read more about using the metallic paint as a medium and the transparency?

Is the transparency one that had an inkjet image, or a photocopy? I made a fast try with an inkjet on transparency and the ink had never really dried on the transparency after quite some time, so the ink ran a lot.

Also, is there heat application involved? Would doubt it.....likely just a 'burnishing'?

Feeling really out of the loop because I don't get here as often as I'd like. Love to know a bit more about this though.

Btw...have a lovely weekend. There are hints of spring here, but I will miss the snow.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2005, 06:44 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Karen! I will post it on a new thread in a minute but as a WIP and you can comment on it because it seems to need something. The composition problem with me.

What I did was put a tranparency in my copier and foto copied the image on it. Then I had a tube of Golden Metalic acrylic and covered the area I wanted the image on, put the transparency over it and then burnished with a spoon and it came of beautifully, like the instructions that Zoe had talked about in a previous post. Then I used my hot gun to set it. I'll post it!
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2005, 07:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Hails from United Nations

Oh, Mary, I am so excited. I can't wait to see your "first" transfer!!!!

I didn't weigh in on the Lazertran and medium because it doesn't make sense to me in this context. Lazertran is a stand-alone transfer paper. I haven't used it because the original wasn't accepted at public copier shoppes here and I don't own one of my own (yet )

It's likely that Lazertran has several formulas as Karen said ^^^^^ but I am unfortunately still behind the times in using it.

While there is more than one way to make a transfer (I have a whole book I've made of the alternatives) I prefer my proven method - put an image on coated paper, transfer it with medium to medium on any surface with or without heat. I prefer the transfer to become part of the overall collage not sit on top of it in the decal fashion. But it's really just my personal preference.

Would like to hear more views on it, and think it would be great to have all the different methods in one thread (eventually).
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:08 PM

Hails from United States

Hi All, Thanks for all the input. I got the basic lazertran sheets, not the inkjet sheets, because I want to make a high quality color laser copy of my image, (It's a poster). I went to the art store and got a stretched canvas. They told me I needed something to brush on the canvas to make the image adhere. They recommended Liquitex Medium Matte acrylic.

What I want to do is transfer the poster image to canvas and have it look like it was painted on, and then frame it. Is this realistic ? I don't want to have it look like a decal sitting on canvas, with bubbles and all.

A few questions: After I brush the acrylic on the canvas, soak the image and then transfer it, how do I get the excess acrylic up? After it dries, is there something you put over it?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:10 PM

Hails from United States

Quote:
Hi All, Thanks for all the input. I got the basic lazertran sheets, not the inkjet sheets, because I want to make a high quality color laser copy of my image, (It's a poster). I went to the art store and got a stretched canvas. They told me I needed something to brush on the canvas to make the image adhere. They recommended Liquitex Medium Matte acrylic.

What I want to do is transfer the poster image to canvas and have it look like it was painted on, and then frame it. Is this realistic ? I don't want to have it look like a decal sitting on canvas, with bubbles and all.

A few questions: After I brush the acrylic on the canvas, soak the image and then transfer it, how do I get the excess acrylic up? After it dries, is there something you put over it?

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid!" John 'Duke' Wayne
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Rust Belt

Here's one reference you might check to give you some other ideas from our sticky that I am unfamiliar with

http://www.calsk8.com/zeitgeist/acrylicgeltransfers.htm

And here is a discussion we had here at Mixed Media

After you use gel medium for the transfer you remove the excess paper with a clean cloth and water; Karen came up with the idea of an old pair of pantyhose (which will hold up longer ) - medium is necessary on both the substrate (canvas) and the transfer itself. I do not suggestion Liquitex Medium Matte acrylic. Although Liquitex is a very popular brand and easily available, I have had poor results with this manufacturers product line. I am a "Golden" girl thru and thru even if they are more expensive and not as readily available. No Golden product has failed me yet so I'm sticking with it. It's like my choice in mayonnaise --I'm a repeat user of Hellman's!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:

Second attempt to post.....grrrrrr......

I don't think the store clerk meant that the canvas surface needs to be wet....just a good surface. I have a package of the lazertran here with instructions that do provide a suggested method for what you are speaking of. It involves the use of turpentine applied both to the substrate as well as the image, if I remember correctly. And it 'sinks' the image right into the canvas (so that the weave shows), so I was told.

Unfortunately, I can't get back here for 5 or 6 hours, but if you need me to I will be happy to forward the information.

Meantime, these instructions might be included here:
http://www.lazertran.com/

Will get back as soon as I can. IF you need me to.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 02:43 PM
Rust Belt

Karen -have you used the Lazertran. I haven't and probably won't because it is so much more expensive than all the products I already own.

But, I'd like to hear more about it. Thanks!!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 03:06 PM

Hails from United States

The art store I go to has 10 sheets for $23.00, but they sell individual sheets for $2.50 each. 8 1/2 X 11
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Rust Belt

Thanks for the price info. I just checked the Lazertran website and they appear to have complete instructions for use with all their papers.

USD2.50 doesn't sound like much but as I do many transfers the cost of the 10 gallons of medium I have cost about what 10 sheets of Lazertran cost. More importantly to me, the first time I heard of Lazertran my local photocopier shop would not allow its use in their machines. I see they have re-formulated for temperature and perhaps I'll try it at a later date. I'm rather pleased I figured out systems that work for me and will probably just try to improve on those for now.

GOOD LUCK with your transfer; they are SO MUCH fun to do and interesting to include in collage work.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 03:21 PM

Hails from United States

Hi Karen, I went to Lazertran site, and it says if you're transferring to canvas, use acrylic medium, so I think it means brush it on to the canvas first. The turpentine you mentioned is recommended for other surfaces like wood.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2005, 03:35 PM

Hails from United States

Zoe, Which of the Goldens do you think will work the best on canvas?