WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > WetCanvas Member News and Events
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 12:42 AM

Lightbulb French Masters come to Tasmania

Hi folks from Bradkit (Terry Bradley) in Australia . I am a student of landscape painting and concentrate mainly on oil as my medium. I also have a love for pencil and pen drawing which I am now in a position to be studying these days now that I have retired from commercial interestsand can concentrate on my spiritual wellbeing ( at last)!

I am new kid on the block here on W C and I must say how much I enjoy the site and being able to avail myself of all the advice and insights freely given here. I have taken up art and painting regularily as an amateur artist, after many years of yearning to do so whilst earning a living as a masterbuilder here in Australia.
I have been building and designing homes for the general public for over thirty five years and have recently retired so can now at long last, attend to my artistic aspirations and a joy is is I must say.
This being my first post to W C I thought I would inform you all about the petit coup we have achieved here in Tasmania Australia. This will see the Ambroise Vollard collection of Impressionist masters from the Muse'e Le'on Dierx Re'union Island shown here exclusively for a period of three months.
Ours will be the only location the collection will show at in this country as a part of our annual "Ten Days on the Island" which is a celebration of Island life and a sharing of different islands cultures from around the world.This event is a wonderful success as a celebration of the arts, and gives local artists from Tasmania a grand opportunity to show their works and to enjoy the many and various other cultures which are represented annually here on our beautiful island Its a full gamut of the arts, music and cultural events from other islands and communities from around the world are represented each year . We are of course overjoyed here to have the priviledged to see in their full vibrancy these works of art from the french impressionist school and many other genres are also being represented within the hundreds of painting taken from the cream of the French masters. Represented are Painting, etchings, drawings, sculpture and ceramics from the collection of Amboise Vollard, the famous french art dealer and collector who thankfully supported many of the Impressionists and other young artists before they were able to properly financially support themselves or their families from the sale of their artworks. These paintings and other works of art are usually housed permanently within the vollard collection on Reunion Island, where Vollard was born and where he eventually retired to, after many years living in France itself, doing business mainly in Paris. R'eunion is still a french colony or protectorate I believe and Vollard was the most prolific collector of the new schools and works of art and a genuine friend it would seem to many many artists who were (so to speak] "struggling in the garret" and who needed the emotional and financial nourishment he provided over many years allowing their art to mature and develop fully. This benevolence and his uncanny business and aesthetic ability to forsee new schools of art whilst they were developing , which was shown by Vollard and only a few others was provided by him up until he was tragically killed and somewhat ironically (or bronzonically perhaps would be more apt ) by his being struck by a small bronze statue he had just purchased when he was involved in a minor car accident. The piece flew threw the vehicle at him and tragically struck him on the neck.Unfortunately he died instantly, leaving behind him an enormous and priceless collection of artworks collected over a lifetime from the core of the impressionists and others! He knew the immortals and delt with them all apparently. Represented were a veritable role call of artistic genius from the cream of the french art world. Painters such as Renoir, Degas,Chagall, Matisse etc etc all being well represented in his collections of literally thousands of works. A large collection around 135 of their works are being represented in the upcoming event, held here from the 15th March 05 in Launceston Tasmania ...I can hardly believe my luck as one would have to visit Europe to see such works, which for us is a distance of some 12000 miles to travel of course.I will therfore be studying the brushwork and composition of some of the best art available for quite a time it seems as they are here for three months and being a resident I can visit for free ! Its a great life at times is it not!
Keep up the good work at W C as it is a truly excellent asset for the artistic community and the older student like myself who needs all the help he can get !