WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Watercolor Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Oakwood, Ohio, near Dayton.

Hails from United States
Pansies Painted on Masa Paper

In my art class last week, our instructor demonstrated painting on Masa Paper. This is my first painting on this kind of paper, so I'm not sure if I am using it the way it should be, but I thought I'd share the experience with you.

I used a lovely photo of Pansies from the IL by by Valchina612 as my reference. You can see it here.

Preparing the Masa Painting for Painting

Step 1: Draw the painting on the paper with pencil. (I did it on the rough side rather than the smooth, but I'm not sure if that was smart because it is pilling as I apply the wet washes.) Make the drawing darker than you normally would —I have found that in later steps it is quite hard to see.

Crinkle the paper to create interesting textures and veins for your painting.

Then soak it in warm water, allowing it to become completely saturated:

Have a board ready to place the paper on. Remove the wet paper from the water and gently squeeze out the excess water. Then VERY carefully open it up. It is extremely fragile at this stage and tears easily.

That's it for the prep work. I'll be back shortly with more photos of the painting steps.

Comments and critiques are welcome. I'm a novice at this technique so anyone who has done this is welcome to jump in and add their explanations.

Sylvia

[Note: To preserve the continuity of instruction, this thread has been edited to remove some posts that did not pertain to the technique being demonstrated. The Moderators]

Last edited by painterbear : 04-15-2008 at 09:35 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 07:14 AM

Hails from United States
Re: Pansies on Masa (Rice?) Paper

Now comes the fun part! The first washes are applied wet into wet so the color can flow softly into the cracks and crevices and veins created by the crumbling and soaking in the preparation stage as shown above.

Paints used for the initial washes were WN Caput Mortuum, Antwerp Blue; Daniel Smith Indanthrone Blue; Daler Rowney Quinacridone Magenta, Cobalt Green Dark; Da Vinci Burnt Sienna; Cotman Sepia

I remembered to do a color values chart before starting and a rough value sketch.

Initial washes are applied onto wet paper. They appear much lighter on the paper than they do when on my palette. You should probably mix them a little darker than you think you need.

I set this aside to dry while I prepared a sheet of watercolor paper that was about an inch larger than the Masa Paper to mount it on before going to the next stage of painting.

I watered down White Glue and brushed it onto the watercolor paper. (Elmer's brand is good in the States, not sure about anywhere else. It is the kind of glue they use in schools a lot.)

Then I placed the painting on top of the watercolor paper with glued surface. If you have a brayer, you can roll it smooth with that. Since I don't have a brayer, I placed paper towels over it and used my rolling pin.

I began to add more color in some areas to define shapes.

Sylvia

Last edited by painterbear : 04-15-2008 at 09:40 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Hails from United States

I can't wait to see more!

Does gluing the rice paper onto wc paper serve the same purpose as placing it on felt (to absorb the water)?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 10:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Hi Sylvia... THIS LOOKS FABULOUS!!!!

The piece of rice paper I have does not look anything like yours... of course, the images may not be picking up the fibres... my paper has a lot of visible, almost coarse, fibres embedded in it...

Can't wait to see the next steps!!!!

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 11:43 AM
A Local Legend
Vancouver, WA

Hails from United States

Sylvia, this is really interesting. And I must say you have a very clear way of teaching (for us dummies) a combination of words and pics, sometimes both is definitely needed. I am giving you my mentor point if it will let me as this is going to be another great one.

Need to run out and get some of this paper and try this technique. What type of board did you use to put the paper on while it was wet? Is that particle board?

Will be watching with interest.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 11:57 AM
WC! Guide
Michigan

Hails from United States

Oh Sylvia,

This is looking SUPERB! THanks for sharing this. I've done something a little like this with tissue paper and it gives the painting so much texture.

Painting should be a happy experience, not a pressured activity. No artist can paint a masterpiece every time he paints.” ~Lian Quan Zhen -
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Now I'm there

Hails from United States

Sylvia, this is an excellent demo. One question, after gluing the masa paper to the watercolor paper, do you let the "sandwich" dry thoroughly before adding more water/paint to the masa layer?

Debra
Debra Spinks Art on Facebook My Art Blog WCAAPOI
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 04:37 PM

Hails from United States

This is the first chance I've had to get on the computer since early this morning. Thanks for all your comments.

Char, This paper doesn't have the fibers like yours does. I wish it did, I think that would really make a nice textural change.

St. Ives, The Masa paper is glued to the watercolor paper after your initial washes that are painted wet into wet have completely dried. The watercolor paper acts as a support because the Masa paper is so fragile. It will also make it easier to mat and frame your painting if it happens to turn out ok.

Debra, I let the watercolor/Masa paper sandwich dry completely before adding more paint to the picture.

Judy, That is a piece of particle board I've used for a support for years and years. However, the watercolor paper/Masa paper combo is taped to a piece of plexiglass because it is larger than the original board I had the paper on for the wet into wet washes. Thanks for the thought on the Mentor Point, I appreciate it, glad you liked the photos.

Thanks for looking and commenting too Jaytee, JJ, Doug, Uschi, Gerri, Maryrose, Pam, and Darla.

I'm not too sure about painting on this paper. It is definitely less forgiving than regular watercolor paper, can't lift back colors too easily since it is so fragile and colors are either too light or too dark (at least when I put them on ). This one is a learning experience for sure. Will try to finish it up in the next day or so.

Thanks for your encouragement.

Sylvia
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 08:09 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Here's a section of my paper...

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Texas

Hails from United States

Nice demo, Sylvia. I have tried masa before and I hated it ! I have a big bundle left over ! It's very inexpensive so no big deal. Lose is all you can do on it and lifting is impossible. It's kind of "what you see is what you get" worse than Yupo. Also, everything dries very light and washed out ? LIke every thing I guess you just have to learn how to work with it. Me , I'm to lazy to keep
trying .
Jim
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-02-2005, 10:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Lively, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Masa is great fun. I'm glad you posted this. I'll take it as a reminder to get back to the masa, as I've forgotten about it for awhile.

One thing to note, however -- if you are worried about everything being acid-free, try gluing the masa to the watercolour paper with acrylic medium instead of regular white glue.
Lynn

Here's one I did about a year ago:

Last edited by Lynn Quinn : 03-02-2005 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Accidentally pasted image over text.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2005, 04:43 AM

Hails from United States

Char,
That's definitely a different kind of paper than what I am using. Looks like it would make an interesting painting though.

Jim,
I'm kind of leaning your way but will keep working with it. You are right about how cheap it is, I paid $1.00 for a large sheet that I already did two paintings on (didn't finish the first, this is the second) and I still have half a sheet left to play with.

MLQ, That looks terrific. I like how you only detailed a couple of flowers and left the rest nice and loose. The background is great too. You certainly know how to work with the Masa papers best features. Thanks for sharing this.

Frank,
I think you would have a great time with this. One of the artists my instructor used as a reference is Cheng-Khee Chee who paints landscape scenes like you do. His paintings were beautiful because the foliage in the trees worked so well with the Masa paper. One thing he did was only crinkle certain areas of the paper (where the trees and shrubs were going to be, for example) and leave the rest smooth (sky and buildings went there).

Sylvia
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 PM

Hails from United States
Pansies on Masa Paper Finished!

I took my painting to art class for a critique by my instructor yesterday. She suggested I add some darks in select areas, which I did today.

I like parts of the painting and dislike others. One thing about Masa paper is that you can't lift and wash out your mistakes because the paper is so fragile. Basically you live with them or cover them with more paint. That is what happened with the ground and the sky here.

Here are two versions of the painting. Which do you prefer??? Comments and critiques are invited as always.

Sylvia

Full sized:

Cropped:

Last edited by painterbear : 04-15-2008 at 09:42 AM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Pansies on Masa Paper Finished!

...*pressing nose against monitor*...

I'd LOVE to be able to examine this more closely... and I don't have any Ohio trips booked for the next few months!

From what I can see, this is really beautiful... your darks look great... I love all the creases...

I think I prefer the cropped version!

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM

Hails from United States
Re: Pansies on Masa Paper Finished!

Char,
You're too kind. One person at class yesterday said "One thing about Masa paper paintings is they look better from a distance." And she was talking about our instructor's painting of daffodils! LOL!

She is right, this looks better on screen than it does in my room here.

Sylvia

Last edited by painterbear : 04-15-2008 at 09:43 AM.