WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2001, 05:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
N.Z

Hails from New Zealand
12,000 miles

Hi everyone
I know that I haven't been in here for a long while *hangs head in shame* ...but that doesn't mean I haven't been dabbling with alternative forms of creativity! I'm still working on the Baked Bean tin (for those that can remember it) have got the pattern all marked out (a colonial Indian design) just waiting for the electric drill ...and waiting ...and waiting!
Anyways, here is a little something I did a few months back, it's called 12,000 miles and represents being away (12,000 miles away) from my family at this time of year. One side is meant to represent the very celebrated, glitzy, almost ostentatious side to Christmas, and the other side is meant to be more natural and laid back.
Give me natural (and picnics on the beach) anyday
I can always phone my folks ...and then they can tell me it's freezing cold, and it's going to snow, and all the pretty lights are twinkling, and Auntie Val is having a big party, and all my friends say Hello, and... ...then I can feel homesick...
LOL, only joking!

I know that it needs something else, either in the middle or on the glitzy side ...not sure which???

Thanks for looking,
Bec
Attached Images

www.rebeccasimmonds.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2001, 12:35 PM
A Local Legend
Belfast. N.Ireland

Hails from United Kingdom
Wink Impetuous

As long as you enjoyed the delights of getting those corks

Joe
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-07-2001, 07:41 PM
A WC! Legend
High Desert of Idaho

Hails from United States
This is a really interesting piece. I like the transition from one side to the other using the small tree twig. It lets you flow from summer to winter easily I can identify most of what you used in the piece, but would you give us a list of materials used? I would also be interested in knowing what mounting agent you used. Is it archival?

Stone Chief Studio_____________________________
Charissa
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2001, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member

Impetuous: Not knowing who you are or what you think, I'd say that whatever we say doesn't matter.
These are personal things, it appears, but I like it, it's not what I do, but it's nice. I think that maybe the sheet music could be tinted with tea to give it that parchment look. I also think that perhaps you could unfurl it (although still curled at the top) and place it back behind the branch and the cloths, replacing it with another smaller thing in the corner. Is that a painting behind it all? If it's not, maybe a speckled look to represent snow, slightly? I don't know, it's really fine the way it is, you've done a good job, I think. Maybe a couple of teabags from home in the background...
By the way, I really like the name you've given it, some good thought went into that one...
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2001, 07:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
N.Z

Hails from New Zealand
Joe - Hic!

Sass - It was a piece that we did as part of a mixed media night class that I attended, we had to fill an old picture frame with things that were special to us (think they were called memory boards???) Anyway, I wanted to do something along the lines of the sea ...because the sea and beach are very special to me, and the Christmas theme sort of evolved from that.
Didn't have a frame so knocked up a very quick and basic one. It's easy to get the angles, I just used a mitre box and any gaps I just filled with wood putty (before taking up art I used to make chunky rustic outdoor furniture)
The summer side - I left the frame rough and natural, then washed the base with glue and sprinkled on some sand. Frayed gingham as a table cloth. Corks from my collection (I just love wine corks for some reason, have a big copper bowl full of them that just sits on the table) Shells, pebbles and driftwood collected from the beach and some slivers of polished NZ paua shell.
The tree/s in the centre are a conifer (which has faded) on the winter side, and a twig from a deciduous on the summer side. Both are decorated with glass baubles and coloured crystals (my sister in law works for a well known Austrian crystal manufacturer, and at the end of the day always hunts through the skips to search for things that they throw away ...these were all glued to a brochure ...they sparkle like you wouldn't believe)
The winter side - I glued and stapled some cord onto the frame and then sprayed the whole thing with metalic gold and stuck two big smoky crystals in the corners (sister in law again!) The base I then sprayed with that fake snow stuff. The material is an Ohio Star patten that I patched in Raw Indian Silk (this material has got a great texture to it, feels more natural than the silky types of silk that you can get) The bells actually ring and are a tree decoration, I used them because I like the idea of touchy feely art. and lastly the present, Christmas pud (which is a walnut dipped in paint) and the roll of carols are little things that the girls had made me to hang on the tree.
Archival? probably not. I guess that it'll last as long as it lasts and then I'll salvage what I can from it and make something else

mebucko - Thank you for your comments. If there is one thing that I have learnt over the past year, then it's that there are endless ways of expressing your creativity ...Oh the possibilities!
If I'd seen something like this a couple of years ago then my first thought would have been "yeah? so what's that all about!"
All these things are personal, I'm a bit of a magpie, I like to have things around me that catch my eye, things that are nice to touch, things that make me smile ...I like to think of it as maximum pleasure from the simplest of things. Some folks like to collect and keep the fastest cars, the latest electronic gagets, the most luxurious furniture etc. and others like big bits of twisted and gnawled driftwood, or stones that seem to wink in a certain light etc.
ps, you can drink tea anywhere in the world it's especially nice in the summer, very refreshing.

www.rebeccasimmonds.com

Last edited by impetuous : 12-08-2001 at 07:21 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-10-2001, 06:44 PM
A Local Legend
"Fraggle Rock" Virginia

Hails from United States
Wonderful impetuous
I love the way you have combined the two worlds they both exist in their own space yet are reaching toward each other.
It has been fun to look at all your different objects.
I am like you, in that I love to collect up those objects from nature that catch my eye.
They seem to be my greatest treasures.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-12-2001, 01:24 AM
A WC! Legend
Rabun Gap, GA

Hails from United States
I really like this type of artform "assemblage" because it can be so personal and yet the viewer draws from it out of their own experiences. I thought of the Christmas song..."I'll Be Home for Christmas" when I first saw it. It evokes happy memories as each piece plays a part in creating the sense of home.
carly
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-15-2001, 09:45 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ontario Canada

Hails from Canada
Hi Imp

wow! I haven't been in some of these forums for so long I should be hanging my head too! This is a wonderful collage Imp. These are so much fun to make aren't they? I like this one...it represents both sides of Christmas that I love! The only thing I could suggest is maybe painting that cute little wavy border with a gold paint to balance out the glitzy side. I like it and thanks for sharing.

Di