WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 10:47 PM
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

Lemon Watching

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lemon Watching
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil Pastel
Surface: Paper
Dimension: 11x17
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
The piece is finished... matted.... framed. The works. BUT, that should stop no one from commenting, since I am looking for advice for future pieces.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have created a series of still lifes that are intended to be mataphores for people and situations in my life. THe objects in the still lifes are lit in theatrical stage lighting to add to the drama of the story that I am telling.. the substrate is charcoal paper, and as such adds to the drama.... I am pleased with the series, but the works seem to be off-putting to many non art-minded people who are viewing them... HELP!!! Did I miss the point here ... or, did THEY? I have sold NONE Of these in this series, and wonder ....WHY? What does this particular piece do for you who critique the presented pieces, here on line?? HELP -- and thanks

Last edited by SGSart : 01-30-2005 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typos
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Bwaahaha! I love a still life with a sense of humor. (You are intending this to be humorous, I hope?)

Perhaps it isnít selling because the right people arenít seeing it?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan

Re: Lemon Watching

Ahhhhh, NO..... not humorous at ALL .... hmmmmmm. I certainly would be interested in knowing why you got humor from this one. DONT be afraid to tell me. I'd love to know!!!. REALLY?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 11:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
in a tiny little house

I agree with Quiet, the right people aren't seeing this. I love the color, and am a huge fan of the vibrant effect when presented on black...the underlying semi-twisted humor in this is the essence of life, don't you agree?! I have no critiques, I like this work very much. I say if anything must change, then let it be more of that color you have already put down...saturate it!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 11:26 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
in a tiny little house

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSart
Ahhhhh, NO..... not humorous at ALL .... hmmmmmm. I certainly would be interested in knowing why you got humor from this one. DONT be afraid to tell me. I'd love to know!!!. REALLY?

Though your question was not directed at me, I had the same response so felt inclined to reply, I hope that is okay, no disrespect intended at all.

The trowel embedded in the apple whilst the lemon looks on... that sort of tragedy vs. comedy thing...events that happen without reaction from the audience...neutral onlookers...oblivious...or unable to respond. Funny in a tragic way, I 'spoze. It is the kind of humor that allows some to be able to carry on in the face of terrible loss/pain/whatever.

I am not really capable of articulating well, so I hope this isn't taken badly as I certainly mean no bad intent - I really like this and I don't often feel anything at all from still life works...IMHO that merits response.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 02:23 AM
Lord of the Arts
the Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

To me there is also a kind of humour in it.. you don't know for sure if the little shovel killed the apple or the apple is taking a bite out of the shovel.

Caroline
painting is another language
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada

Overall it's a good 8 out of 10.
coloring is good, composition is good, subject is questionable as it's different but to me for no other reason than to be different which doesn't knock down any doors. The apple with the shovel insert seems to have a pac-man smile and seems suspended in the air. As well, it's edges are over hard in comparison to the rendering of all else. As to why it doesn't sell, I can't figure out why mine doesn't so I can't help you there. It's all about being in the right place at the right time, or so I am told.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Dana Design

Well, I like this very much. The colors are superb and the lighting, very dramatic. The essence of this is that (to me) the hand spade normally wouldn't sit or fit with an apple nor a lemon. It's not the tool to use with either thus 'normal' folks would have a difficult time putting or seeing them together and may assume that the meaning behind this is somehow nefarious. Anything not completely understood is suspect to most people.

It's very well done. Now, I'd like to know what your 'meaning' is behind this set-up.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGSart

It is humorous because you have taken a standard still-life of fruit, and you have violently stabbed one of them with an absurdly large and out-of-place implement. For expressing something serious, it is overkill to the point that it is funny.

Perhaps a better approach, if you wish there to be no humor, would be to find fruit that has personality. For example, a withered pear by it's self can look miserable and lonesome. Groupings of fruit (and the spaces between them) can be used to show social interactions among individuals, from confrontation to ostrasization to a cheerful reunion of friends. Lopsided apples can sit up straight and be prideful, or bashfully slouch. A cut fruit, lit and positioned properly, could be the victim of a crime.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
Immortalized
a human being on the face of the earth

this is beautiful to look at
the color use and lighting are grand
the forms are all well done
just as a still life, it works well
as for selling
I agree, the right person has not seen it yet

as for intent
I understood what you meant to be intended
by your title
but, you would have to take it much further for it not to have
some kind of humorous responce
(its fruit and fruit with situational feelings is a tough one to swallow
fruit has been used to depict feelings always with humor attached)
the nub of a lemon for a nose...its cute and funny...

what you have here is a lemon watching...ok
but the action is past...the hand shovel is set down
is the lemon watching the apple die? suffer?
(side issue...a shovel...unlikly...better a sharp knife)
and to make the action "happening"
include the hand in a fist around the knife
caught at the moment of impact...down...???
or just have the knife in the apple standing up
like it has been stabbed
to show more horror of what the lemon sees
perhaps have the apple partly whithered...
exposed apple flesh browned
leaking fluid??? or the reminents of dried fluid around it???
maybe have the lemon partly withered just for seeing such a horror.
(I would think the lemon should have some reaction)
just ideas...need more likely/creative drama for your serious responce
even then it will be difficult, but worth a try, maybe.

asside all this...I like it!