WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 04:45 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England
WIP-A-Long: Glass Pepper Pot

I haven't been working with acrylics for long I have completed 5 finished paintings, two of which included glass objects. I recieved alot of positive feedback for my approach to glass and was asked if I could post a "Dummies guide to painting glass" by a couple of our forum members.

I've seen WIP-A-LONG threads done in the watercolour forum before and felt this would be a fun way to show you how I approach glass.

The idea is that you paint along with me....I hope you will. I have never posted one of these before and the company would be great...I'm a little nervous! LOL!

I will be working from this ref, found in the RIL and posted by Ksar...Thankyou Ksar!

I'll be focusing on just the pepper pot, chosen because of it's beautiful colours and shape.

Here is my STEP 1. Please feel free to print it out and transfer it to your chosen surface.

I am working on unprimed canvas effect board, very cheap stuff, sized 7x5" but you can work at any size you feel comfortable with on any surface you wish.

I'd love to see your progress shots as we go and if you have any questions...Please shout!

So.................Are you in????????

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 05:32 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England
Re: WIP-A-Long: Glass Pepper Pot

Oh, I do hope those of you that have viewed this thread are now off setting this project up!

Ok...I have started on the lid. A first for me, haven't tackled a shiny surface in acrylic as yet.
Using a size 6 W&N series 233 I applied paynes gray to the left/dark side of the lid, as I approached the right side I added a little more water to my already quite wet mix and tapered the colour out towards the highlighted area...I stopped short of the highlight and changed colour to cerulean blue hue...gradually mixing this with a little white towards the highlighted area. I then reversed this approached for the other side, taking care to note the more subtle highlights there and not colour them.
I then applied neat titanium white with a size 00 brush to the various strong highlights, apply it thickly. Then I added a little water for a more translucent white and applied that to the big highlight on the lid...adding more white towards the centre:

I have also started to add my darks around the pot rim....where they are slightly lighter I add more water to my paynes gray.

Am I explaining this ok?.....Is anyone out there??? LOL!

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 05:53 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Before I move onto the glass I'll explain how I usually approach something like this:

I spend more time viewing my work than I ever do actually painting it. A painting could be on my easel for 5 days and I will spend just 2 hours on it's painting..The rest of the time it sits where I can view it easily while carrying out day to day chores. This isn't something I was conscious of until recently.

I enlarge the image I am painting and study it for some time while selecting my palette. I have WindowsXP which enables me to enlarge my image easily but you also achieve this in Paint program by clicking VIEW and then ZOOM.
Note the colours the glass takes on from it's surroundings, it's shape or form, it's pattern....I often enhance the image in my Finepix program by turning up the saturation levels like this:

It makes it easier to see all the different colours hiding there.
Once I have chosen my palette I usually try to use only those colours in the whole painting...I always mix my darks with the palette I have chosen.

For this painting I have chosen:

Paynes Gray
Naples Yellow
Burnt Sienna
Cerulean Blue Hue
Titanium White
Aliz Crimson
Mars Violet Deep

Look at the subject closely, you may find that lurking in amongst a dark somewhere is a hidden streak of cerulean or a dash of sienna......These are the little gems that are more important to a piece than paint itself!
How an artist "sees" is what makes an everyday object like a pepper pot so appealing in art.

Don't be afraid to add heaps of colour to a supposedly clear piece of glass and don't be afraid to go dark! It's the light against the extreme dark that makes something "POP".

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 06:34 PM
A Local Legend
Tupelo, Mississippi

Hails from United States

Okay, that did it... I'm pullin' up a chair.

Peace,
AL

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 06:40 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Nitsa, you are explaining this very well and I'm putting it in my favourites to try later as I'm too busy right now.
Thanks a lot for this.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 06:50 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

I see you watching......Don't be shy!.....I could do with some company here.

Here's my progress.
I have started to lay in some colour.
I lay in the darkest shades first, for this I have used Paynes gray. Laying in the darks gives me landmarks on my pencil map.
For the mid tones or grey colour you see randomly all over the pot I have mixed Naples yellow, a touch of paynes gray and some white. This has given me a nice greeny grey rather than a grey grey...Trying to keep the colours flowing here! It's showing a little greener here because of the lighting...sorry!
I've started laying my midtones in using a touch more paynes grey to darken and more white to lighten....Where a lighter blue shows I have added cerulean instead of paynes gray.
Naples yellow mixed with white provides the yellowy area colour....First time I have used naples yellow and I love it, such a pretty yellow.

I am using my colours with heaps of water because I am working on unprimed board and the surface sucks them up quickly....Where I work a small space I try to add the other colours present, such as cerulean, while the grey base is still wet, forming shapes for interest as I go.
I'm not too worried about values at this stage just light, dark and mids......I can adjust later. Working in fluidy layers like this often means I will apply numerous coats at each sitting to get the final tone I am after.
More importantly, I am trying to get as much colour into the pot as possible and applying them in patterns for interest. All of these little patterns and colour changes are the pots detail and are what will hopefully give me the realistic feel I am after. Much like a portrait, each line, hue and scar are what make this pot - This pot!

Can someone....anyone (LOL)....tell me if this is making sensible reading?

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 06:54 PM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Oooooh company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Al....Good to see you, thanks for looking in....Will you be joining me?

Margaret, thans for commenting...Fully understand, time is precious. Be sure to post your progress when you give it go won't you!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Hold on while I make myself some coffee.

Pulling up chair, coffee good and hot.....
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Jersey, Channel Islands

Hails from Jersey

Ooooo I was going to ask how to paint glass, so I'm glad you're doing this WIP tutorial Nitsa...Thank you!

So far you're progressing nicely and yep, you're making a lot of sense
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 11:56 PM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hails from England

I found this thread this evening, and thought ah "a paint a long with me demo"

Grapped a peice of card, printed the sketch did the first two steps with head swiveling back to the screen, scolled down the page, everyones gone home!
Including Anita.

So as I can't paint tommorow, my supportive wife has just cast doubts on whether I can paint today! I quickly finished this off.

Anita, I'm sorry I hope this post doesn't throw the order of your demo, if you feel it does, please get a moderator to delete or shift it. absolutely no prob.

But just so you know somebody actually was listening here it is:
11x14 card (to big for my printer damn that would have saved a lot pencilling)
Didn't have your colors,
I don't have a clue re the brush sizes you recommended. (sorry) I used a 1/4th inch shader, that's all I seem to use.
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 03:47 AM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Carol....Great to have you onboard...Will you be painting too?

Debbie...So pleased it's all making some sense. I usually just paint, quite randomly, all over the place with no real method so it's good to hear that it's coming across ok.

Jeff....WOOOOOHOOOOO! You're pot looks fantastic!!!
I'm so pleased you decided to join in. Sorry I abandoned you but just as I was typing a post to say "Goodnight" for the evening my connection went down.
Tell me....Did the WIP-Along help? .......Were you pleased with your result?
I think it has more to do with how you "see" glass than how you "paint" it - Would you agree?
Thankyou for joining in and for posting your result.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Rural Suffolk, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Nitsa,
I shall be saving this thread and having a go at this later.... I would have done it in real time BUT I've just spent the weekend at a bike rally (camping in January...bbbrrr). Incidentally, yes, your explanations are nice and clear!

My Zazzle Gallery for prints & cards
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 05:52 AM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Camping in January!!! ..You must be crazy!!! Hope you enjoyed it!
Thanx for letting me know you're there...Don't forget to post your painting here when you tackle it!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 06:11 AM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Okay....

I continue to lay in my colours, very lightly, lots of water! As I work around the pot I work entirely from the ref print, following the markings like a map....This is why your initial map sketch is so important, all those lines help you to remember where you are and save you from becoming lost!
I don't step back at all, I simply follow my map. At first you will feel it's looking a bit wishy washy and will have doubts it's going as it should....Ignore those thoughts and paint on.

Now as important as colour is to make this pot striking, the whites are just as important too. Where they lay is essential to making this object round!
Highlights fall in a pattern in some areas...Make sure you have those patterns. I have now added my highlights to the LHS of the lid: Note how they fall in a line.

Also note the amount of colours I have just in the rim of the glass...Lots to catch the eye and keep the viewer interested!

I continue to work colour in by viewing my ref and filling in my map. Where colours appear faded, I first lay in the colur neat, then glaze over with a thin wash of white. I add a coat of white to my highlighted areas...I'll repeat this process until I feel they are light enough so to keep the paint flat and layered.

You'll see that once you start applying all of the colours in your palette, the glass soon becomes alive and your previous doubts turn into excitement.

I'm sure you'll agree that the pot is now starting to look:
Colourful
Clear
Round
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 08:03 AM
A Local Legend
UK

Hails from England

Now we have the glass well under way it's a good time to add the background colours in. Glass picks up colours from it's surroundings and reflects them back out again. So, what may appear to be a much too colourful rendition of your glass object can soon make sense once the background is in.

As you can see, I'm well under way with the background. The darker stripes in the wallpaper were created by laying a coat of watery paynes gray down before applying my mars voilet deep...all very wet, thin coats. I then added coats until my values were right and the glazed over the whole lot with Aliz Crimson to make those two stripes appear more red. The middle stripe is a mix of Naples Yellow and Cobalt blue hue and the cream stripes are Naples yellow and white.
The background colour of the wallpaper to the left is Naples Yellow and white with a thin glaze of Burnt Sienna. My table top (?) is naples yellow and white.

You can see I have started to bring in the shadows too, with a little wash of mars violet deep. A shadow is rarely grey, especially when cast from glass.

This is the place where I start to step back and "look" at what I am painting. I often make changes that are not in the ref here by adding little dabs of colour in the glass for visual effect. I also start to check my values against a monochrome print out, making sure I have all the darks to make it solid and real.

Almost there now!