WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Kansas City,Mo

Hails from United States
Question What is the difference between silver foil and silver leaf?

Hi, What is the difference between silver foil and silver leaf and how is it that you use them? are there better colors to work with using them? I have some copper leaf and cant seem to get that done right, it just burns away.... HELP! I havent bought the silver foil or leaf yet either. Any suggestions on a good place to buy them at a fair price?

Thanks!!!

Alliosn

New York Glitter Designs
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 07:44 PM
Enthusiast
Nashville, TN

Hails from United States
Re: What is the difference between silver foil and silver leaf?

Silver foil is the way to go! It's much thicker, easier to use and doesn't stick to your fingers like warm taffy plus it makes that yummy silvered ivory. Silvered ivory can also be acheived with the leaf but it doesn't have those tiny silver beads included. Val carries a very nice quality silver foil at a great price. valcox.com
Copper leaf is like the silver leaf. Very thin and fly away. To get some nice copper leaf effect try rolling your bead is white enamel before applying the leaf.

Tracey
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Kansas City,Mo

Hails from United States

Oh cool thanks! I will have to check out her site again, i actually just got a package from her the other day. I will have to try the copper out in a few minutes.

Thanks again!!

Allison

New York Glitter Designs
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Enthusiast
Nashville, TN

Hails from United States

Also, if you cook the enamel and copper reallt good you can get some cool colors!
Tracey
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2005, 06:03 AM
Lower Mainland, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

I belong to a local beadmaking club (BC, Canada) and we had a demo back in May about cool effects with copper and silver. Check out this link for detailed instructions http://mypage.uniserve.ca/~pacificpy...portmay04.html

Garland Glass Web-site
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-02-2005, 12:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Philadelphia, PA

Hails from United States

Copper is a whole different animal from silver. Silver doesn't turn black and ashy like copper does. If I'm remembering right, when Rene Roberts (who does amazing things with metals) gave a presentation at the Alexandria Gathering, she said that silver is more soluble in glass than copper is. She uses enamels with copper - no need to do that with silver, although some people do to get different effects.

When you put leaf or foil on your beads, use a tool to burnish the leaf or foil down onto the bead. Any loose bits that are sticking up will vaporize as soon as you put the bead back into the flame.

Some people prefer silver leaf and some prefer foil. With ivory, leaf gives a more even yellowish-brownish stain, while foil is less even and balls up more into the little silver balls. It depends on which look you like.

If you want to try leaf, don't get the thinnest stuff. It's almost impossible to remove from the backing paper, and if you do get it off, it flies all over the studio before you can get it onto the bead.

To those who question the real value of the Web: Sea slugs. Now, please fall into a respectful silence, and don't speak again until you understand why you were wrong.
-- James Norton (in Flak Magazine's review of the Sea Slug Forum)