WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 10:43 PM
East Aurora

Hails from United States
DickBlick Artist Acrylic ?

hey my first post. this place is amazing!! so glad to have found it.
i was wondering if any of you could comfort me with your advice on acrylic paints.

i just finished a watercolor class and saw a big diffrence with the winsor artist brand.

now im not looking to spend as much on acrylic paints just yet. still have oil and watercolor paintings unfinished. however for my class they are using good ole acrylic.

so my question is...

how is dick blick artist acrylic paints..? would it be a waist of money to invest in them with a bulk order or should i buy less and go with a better brand?
im looking to spend about $100-150.

Last edited by impressingagent : 01-26-2005 at 11:01 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia
Re: DickBlick Artist Acrylic ?

Welcome to acrylics. There is so much on Wetcanvas I am sure you will become addicted.

$100-$150 is a major amount of money to spend on paint. Do you have a Michael's near you (where are you from by the way?). I am replying this assuming you are in the States...

W&N Liquitex are a good brand (student grade) but they are relatively cheap. The colour intensity is good for this brand. If you find you like acrylics as a medium then you can phase them out later for better tubes such as W&N Finity.

I do't know anything about Dick Blick colours.

Hope to see you more in the forum.
Aint nothing illegal til you get caught - Tickle
My RIL Photos Discoveries With Color My Photos
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 12:52 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Now I'm there

Hails from United States

Dick Blick Artist quality is a very good brand. If you buy now, you'll get LOTS of paint for your money - they have redisgned their package labeling and are selling off their old stock for great prices. No change in the paint itself.

Debra
Debra Spinks Art on Facebook My Art Blog WCAAPOI
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 01:47 AM
East Aurora

Hails from United States

thanks for your help i ordered a boat load of 8oz jars for $2.87. ill let you know how they turn out.

maybe ill work on my oil painting alittle and put my first picture up soon. I bought a really nice book that you might wanna check out. the history of beauty by umberto eco. I love it.. thats my recomendation to you!

thanks again for all your help and keep those creative efforts alive.

Jon

outside buffalo ny
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 05:08 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspinks
Dick Blick Artist quality is a very good brand. If you buy now, you'll get LOTS of paint for your money - they have redisgned their package labeling and are selling off their old stock for great prices. No change in the paint itself.

Debra

I use mostly Golden Paints but have now and again gotten some of the Blick colors and also Daniel Smith paints have a good quality to them as well. I happen to like some of the Liquitex mediums. I recently found the opaquing mat medium which is certainly interesting.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Welcome to the forum!
Yes, Dick Blick artist colors are very high quality for the money, and I do recommend them. I prefer W&N and Liquitex, though. I find Liquitex HV artists colors to hold texture better than any others that I've used. Dick Blick artist colors have a smoother consistancy where as Liquitex have a somewhat thicker and drier one. All in all, I think Dick Blick artist colors are a great place to start, and there are lots of sales on them.

Dave
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:18 AM
A WC! Legend
Mandurah, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Hi impressingagent,
If you ever need to know what a product is like, head on over to the WC! Product Review. This is found under the Content Areas menu on the top blue menu bar. The database has lots of reviews on many products, with a huge number on paints. Here is the link to the Acrylic Pro Section: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/P...ategory_id=237.
As has been mentioned, Dick Blick has a massive sale on now, so value for money they are unbeatable.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast
Near Toronto, originally from Essex, UK

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by impressingagent
so my question is...

how is dick blick artist acrylic paints..? would it be a waist of money to invest in them with a bulk order or should i buy less and go with a better brand?
im looking to spend about $100-150.

Someone above suggested Michael's.... personally I have found them to be VERY expensive... at least in Canada. If you are from the frozen north also I would suggest Curry's - great to browse in and fantastic prices. Orders over Cdn$25 are shipped free if you aren't close.

Glenn
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Enthusiast
Tennessee

Hails from United States

I found a product that is called A/2 at Jerry's Artarama....I am testing it for archival value...but it seems to be a really good product for the money.
A 4 U.S.floz (120mLe)tube of Red runs a little over $2....good price if you are just starting out and want to try acrylics without breaking the bank.

The paint has a nice viscosity and seems to hold up well. Again I am testing for archival value and longevity.....I can't seem to find a ASTM rating on these paints...I mean why put that much time into something if it will fade in a few years.......

Of course we all know that Jackson Pollack didn't care about any of this he used Acrylic House Paint......and Oil Based House Paint....now we are talking value.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Enthusiast
Near Toronto, originally from Essex, UK

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakc

Of course we all know that Jackson Pollack didn't care about any of this he used Acrylic House Paint......and Oil Based House Paint....now we are talking value.

Ah, but he was sorry about that years later....(bet his collector's were, too!)

Glenn
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 06:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Mandurah, Western Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakc
I found a product that is called A/2 at Jerry's Artarama....I am testing it for archival value...but it seems to be a really good product for the money.
A 4 U.S.floz (120mLe)tube of Red runs a little over $2....good price if you are just starting out and want to try acrylics without breaking the bank.

The paint has a nice viscosity and seems to hold up well. Again I am testing for archival value and longevity.....I can't seem to find a ASTM rating on these paints...I mean why put that much time into something if it will fade in a few years.......

A2 is a student level acrylic made by Chroma. Like most student level paints the price is lower, and the pigment loading is also correspondngly lower. Chroma makes a good product, their artist quality paints is Atelier which is the brand I use in my work. Student quality paints, while cheap, can never match the pigment loading or archival qualities of true artist quality paints.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Thanks for the update on A2... I was beginning to think it was a student grade...but again price is right for beginners.

The A2 when dry has a chalky look to it....I have gone back to liquidtex and golden...and all paintings that I did use A2 on I went back and varnished to help slow down the fading..I HOPE...as I said I had not found any information as to the ASTM rating and I usually can find it on the tubes....but this product was given to me to try and I really didn't do any research until now and now that I have tried it...the only recommendation is that it is good for beginners who don't want to spend much...it works well, it holds up while paintings, but archival value is low. There is a well known artist here who actually is proud of the fact that he uses DECO ART acrylics for his very detailed paintings. I often wondered what he could really do with really fine paints...but as yet he has never tried though he sells enough of his work that he could afford to buy the best quality.......

Which makes me wonder why I am so inclined to worry more about archival value then the old masters...... they just painted ---they had no idea that their work would hold up to over 100 years and if handled properly or carefully it shows that most anything will last the test of time.

Maybe I should do less worrying and have more fun painting. LOL
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2005, 04:33 PM
NC

Hails from United States

Since I have just recently begun painting with regularity I have been using Liquitex paints. Here in the States depending on where you buy them the price range differs. Here in Fayetteville NC we have a Michaels and and AC More{sp} The prices are about the same at both stores. I have recently purchased the smaller bottles of Liquitex paints. The concentrated versions. I really like the texture of the titanium white. I havent tried the Mars Black yet. I also just purchased sap green in W&N finity. So I guess its just what you feel more comfortable using. Everyone has their own favorite brand. It does seem to me that the Liquitex dries faster on the palette. Does someone have a way to get around that? I have tried slo dry mediums and all they seem to do is make the paint more transparent. Unless I am doing it wrong.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2005, 03:23 PM

The Chroma A>2 student paints turn out to be a -very- good bargain in the 250 ml size from Dick Blick. (more so than any other "student" paint or Galeria in compriable sizes). The other absolutely lower places to shop online are Jerry's Catalog and ASW Express.

After reading some of the hype about them, 9and being tempted) I'm sorry to now hear that they dry "chalky." :-( But, I thought that the pigments have a standard ASTM I or II lightfastness rating, so fading shouldn't be a big concern -esp. with a UV varnish).

(BTW: some of the Old Masters did use stuff like bitumen and other unstable colors. What may seem like miraculous technique and preservation can sometime be attributed to present-day conservation).
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Northern Illinois

Hails from United States

not to dig up an old thread, but since the dirt has been moved...

The only color (out of those that I have tried from Blick) that I found bad was Dioxazine Purple. It was comparitively light in value and had no tinting strength or mixing power what so ever. It came out of the tube as a medium value purple color, not the deep blackish color that I know.....that only shows it's purple soul when mixed.

All others are marvelous.

Anyone else have this experience with blick Diox. purple?