WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States
"mural" on glass window

This is the front window of a shop, The Mail Room, similar to Mailboxes Etc. and other mailing and shipping type stores. The owner has a daschund named Nellie, who stays at the store and entertains the customers, many of whom come in just to play with the dog. I've painted Nellie in the middle of the window, with acrylics, and as the seasons change, I paint an appropriate design around her. This is the Christmas window for 2004. I had to touch it up a bit with Paintshop, to get rid of reflections in the glass. I've never been able to get good pictures of these, so haven't posted any. Now that I have Paintshop maybe I can do this more often. Anyhow, here's the touched-up pic.

This has all been scraped off and Nellie is now the Queen of Hearts for Valentine's day. I'll see if I can get a decent photo of that to show.

Ruth
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2005, 06:14 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States
Re: "mural" on glass window

"Nellie, Queen of Hearts" acrylic on glass, approx. 3x5'

Ruth
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2005, 08:17 PM
New York

Hails from United States

I just found the decorative arts channel. Every time I get on Wet Canvas, I want to go everywhere.
I'm glad I stumbled on your thread. I do really like the paintings.
What type of paint do you use?

"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."
Pablo Picasso
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States

These are great Ruth! So detailed for a temporary mural. Keep us posted on the seasonal developments of Nellie. Val
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2005, 07:42 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

What fun Ruth and very good busness for you. The list of celebrations you can depict will keep you very busy throughout the year. Terrific idea
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Thanks Chris, Valorie, and Michele! I use acrylic paint because it's easy to remove from glass, just spray it with water in a spray bottle, and use a razor blade to scrape it off. The water softens the paint so it comes off easily.

I don't scrape off the dog, just leave her on the window and change the scene around her each time. She's been on the window for about .... hmmm, I think this is the 4th Valentine window, so 3 years. I've had to touch up scratches a couple of times, but the colors have remained bright, no fading.

Next one will be in March, with Nellie flying on a kite.

I don't charge much for doing this; the owner of the store is a friend and he hands out lots of my business cards for me and has referred quite a few people for pet portraits, so we both benefit!

Ruth

Last edited by Ruth : 01-09-2005 at 10:41 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Charleston, SC

Hails from United States

This is adorable Ruth ! And such a wonderful idea to leave the central figure in place and change everything else to suite the season !

You've shown us once again why you are a leader in your field

http://www.knology.net/~beccasloft/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Most places May means Mother's Day and Memorial Day. Around here it means MOTORCYCLES, as we are invaded first by Harleys and then by black bikers' week. Sooo... Nellie gets to ride a bike..

I just scraped this one off, and now Nellie is in a kayak -- I'll get a photo of that posted soon

Ruth
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-16-2005, 05:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hehehehehe.... this is great Ruth... such a regular job for you and I'm sure the customers will enjoy Nellie's different personalities as much as we do.
Just wonderful
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hails from United States

Hi Ruth! Very cool!! (I am friends with Marcelle.)
Tracey
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2005, 07:46 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Thank you Chris! Hi Tracey, nice to meet you! Any friend of Marcelle's is a friend of mine.

I usually give Nellie's daddy, Steve, 3 or 4 different sketches for the next window, and he likes to let his customers have a vote on their favorite. This one was the winner by far for summer. Whitewater Nellie in her kayak:

Ruth
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-18-2005, 08:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Devon, UK

Hehehehehe..... I'm not surprised it was the favourite ... such fun
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Hudson, Florida, USA

Hails from United States

Hello Ruth;

Some friends in the mixed media forum steered me to you. I am trying to figure out the best way to attack doing windows for the seasons. I have been told everything from hobby acrylics, water based house paint and one shot sign enamel.

I am looking to paint the outside of the windows and while I want to be able to remove it easily I don't want it to wash off with the first rain storm. Could you/would you mind giving me a few pointers?.. Please.

I was originally going to airbrush the windows, but have decided to go with the brush instead. I really appreciate you time..

Your window pup is adorable.
Cher
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherri
Hello Ruth;

Some friends in the mixed media forum steered me to you. I am trying to figure out the best way to attack doing windows for the seasons. I have been told everything from hobby acrylics, water based house paint and one shot sign enamel.

I am looking to paint the outside of the windows and while I want to be able to remove it easily I don't want it to wash off with the first rain storm. Could you/would you mind giving me a few pointers?.. Please.

I was originally going to airbrush the windows, but have decided to go with the brush instead. I really appreciate you time..

Your window pup is adorable.
Cher

Thank you Cher! I use mainly artist quality acrylics, but some craft acrylics too. Both seem to work equally well for this purpose. I paint on the inside of the window because it is not easily accessible to kids, dogs, rain water, vandals, etc. The store owner has more control over it. The problem with painting on glass is that it's a slick surface and paint doesn't stick to it, so once it's painted, it HAS to be left alone and not touched. I don't see how that's possible if you paint on the outside. Gentle rain probably won't damage it, but hard wind-blown rain might. Also, there's the problem of airborne dirt and dust that have to be cleaned off each time you change the design, worse outside than inside. If the window is under a shelter and high enough to be out of reach, it might work. I'd be concerned about some people's carelessness and deliberate destructiveness, though.

One Shot enamel is good if your design is going to be permanent. I think it's mosly for lettering, and it can be removed by scraping it off with a razor blade. That's a tedious process if it's a big design like this one. Acrylic paint comes off easily with a razor blade and paper towel, because it softens when wet with water. One Shot doesn't, since it's an oil-based enamel. That means scraping hard paint off the glass. At least, that's my experience. I haven't used One Shot in a long time, and there may be some new products that I don't know about.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to seeing what you do. Please share with us what you learn!

Ruth
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2005, 09:30 PM
Hudson, Florida, USA

Hails from United States

Thank you Ruth......

I have some hobby acrylics and some other stuff just laying around waiting for me to do something with it.. so I guess I will get out a brush and put something on some glass and let it sit outside and see what happens..

I have been told so many different things, that I get confused....(surprise..lol)
I will let you know what happens with the different products I use.

I really don't want to use the 1 shots if I can help it.
I also really would like to paint the outside of the window.. This will allow me to paint the windows while the store is closed and it is quiet.
I don't mind people watching me airbrush, but when I am trying to learn a new thing, I like to be alone to think it through. Once I got it, I got it, until then I prefer to be in the shadows. LOL
Only the shadow Knows for Sure.. LOL

Understand your concerns about the dirt etc... I will do up some designs to show the store owner and see where that takes me.

Thank you again.