WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States
A painting with a twist...

I think this belongs here. It IS done with acrylics. I couldn't think of anywhere else on the site that would be more appropriate...

It is a little different, however- And was VERY difficult to photograph- it is a painting that needs to be 'experienced', not looked at. I am still not 100% done, I don't think. I want to do a few more layers of paint in some areas to get more depth, and to correct some issues in the doors...

Let me explain exactly what you are looking at here. This is a painting with a bit of a twist to it- A 3-d Optical illusion is 'built in' to it. The above view is what you see head on, but if you step to the left a bit----->

You see this.... Step to the right------>

And you see this. As your position changes, the perspective does, too... You kind of get the effect in the photos- But nothing like in real life- it seems to 'bend' as you look at it. It is actually quite bizzare.

This is what it looks like from the side-

The support is plywood, which is painstakingly beveled any fit together into kind of a flat topped pyramid. This is probably the hardest part... I then prime it, and paint it with acrylics. I am new to painting, so excuse the somewhat sloppy appearance- I'm working on it!!

I would enjoy any C & C that anyone has- I hope you are able to envision this from the pics, like I said, it has to be seen... It is a fun peice!!

-Andrew
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Now I'm there

Hails from United States
Re: A painting with a twist...

Andrew, that is SOOOO COOOOOLLLL!!

Debra

PS I think you should patent this!
Debra Spinks Art on Facebook My Art Blog WCAAPOI
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast
Neshanic Station, NJ

Hails from United States

That's pretty wild idea for a painting. I could see taking it 1 step further and adding some additional 3-d objects inside: cutouts of people maybe.

Looks good, though I'm wondering how are you going to display this? Hanging it on the wall seems tricky. Just setting it down on a table doesn't seem like enough. I'd build a nice wooden box to enclose the back, then set it someplace high like on a bookcase shelf. But what are your plans for it?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Ohio

Hails from United States

That is pretty cool! It took me a minute to see what it was. What a neat idea!

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide, Australia

Hails from Australia

hahah...that is wild, what a great idea. A little bit of optical trickery eh...great stuff...

Cheers
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Western side of Puerto Rico with a view of the isle of Mona

Hails from Puerto Rico

Outta sight How did you do this? I've never seen anything like it. it's fabulous, I love it. Thanks so much for sharing.
Liz

Last edited by mrsarthritis : 01-05-2005 at 08:14 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 08:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Now THAT is great!!!

You should do one for the Tsunami Project..
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Lord of the Arts
California

Hails from United States

A really unique idea for a painting. It looks to me like forced perspective. Disneyland has used this concept to build their facades and make you feel things were larger than they really are. I could see a whole series of these. Any plans on taking this further?

jerry
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Waaaay kewl, Andrew!!!! Thanks for sharing this bit of fun with us!!!! The perspective is amazing...

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Resting in Peace
Kington, Herefordshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

This is brilliant...........I love optical illusions ever since doing my psyhc degree..... and you've already tricked someone into thinking theres an inside well I dont THINK there is......... you have painted the outside of the pyramid, yes ?? Or have you tricked me too ?
All my pastel portraits HERE ....currently being updated! Website : www.JayteesArt.co.uk : also needing updating ! ...... and over in Facebook 'Self Portraits Studio' and just re-discovered this wonderful group here 'Self Portraits Join in the Fun'
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast
Neshanic Station, NJ

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee
This is brilliant...........I love optical illusions ever since doing my psyhc degree..... and you've already tricked someone into thinking theres an inside well I dont THINK there is......... you have painted the outside of the pyramid, yes ?? Or have you tricked me too ?

Blush... I've been tricked! I didn't see it until you just said so, and I still have to look very hard to see it as a pyramid.

Andrew, I'm still curious: will it be mounted on the wall or do you have something else in mind?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Thoroughly impressed by this. I saw this just before I went horse riding and didn't have time to comment. I was so intrigued by it that I thought about it during my ride. This is kind of a no-no as a horse will play on any lack of concentration (fortunately he was good).

Any way I have digressed. And it just requires the following....

My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Houston, TX

Hails from United States

Heh! This is awesome!

When you wrote, "step to the left..." I was looking at the picture, thinking, does he mean "to the right?" and when I read "step to the right" I thought, "does he mean, "to the left?""

Then I saw the last picture, with it in your hands... confusion for a second or two, then SNAP! It's the outside of a pyramid! Wow. cool.

I think this might actually work better posted in a forum like this one than it does in real life, because in the digital photos it's less obvious what's going on. In real life. Unless you restrict the view in some way -- maybe (let it be viewed only through a slit in an illuminated box containing the whole thing, the slit allowing just enough freedom of viewpoint to get that weird wrong perspective thing happening but not so much freedom that the pyramid shape is obvious., or something.

The only C&C I have is you need to be careful that the horizon lines out all the windows line up for continuity, and the things (trees) out the windows need to be painted extra wide so the foreshortening compresses them to "normal" (while the painting on the wall can be painted more "normally," as it's supposed to get foreshortened. Right now, what's out the windows appears to be painted onto the windowpanes, rather than outside the window.

Also, (If you want to go crazy with details) the brushwork at the narrow end of the pyramid should be a little bit extra fine compared to the brushwork at the wide end, which should be "cruder" since in a flat painting, these should be about the same level of fineness, but the pyramid will bring the "far" end of the room up close and make the near end far off, which will make the fineness of the brush work appear to differ, and maybe give away true perspective cues when you're trying to give false perspective cues. Depending on viewing distance. The greater the normal viewing distance, the less discrepancy there will be between the apparent fineness of brushwork in the near and far ends of the pyramid. On second look, maybe you're already doing this a bit. This thing is cool!

Last edited by metalhead : 01-05-2005 at 11:43 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2005, 12:38 AM
Enthusiast
Adelaide, Australia

Hails from Australia

I was thinking it wouldnt be too hard to make one of these from plywood or similar by joining 5 pieces together (after painting), in fact this way it could be painted on the inside or outside or both. The difficulty of course would be the bevelled edge required to have the sides join neatly. As Stephen said, works brilliantly on the screen, because its so hard to tell its a 3D shape, coupled to the fact that we all assume a painting to be flat. Tis a neat idea..

I wonder what a half sphere would look like on the screen, a fisheye lens painting probably..LOL

Cheers
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2005, 12:49 AM
Cary, Illinois

Hails from United States

that is one cool toy!!!!!!!!!

wonder if one could be fashioned out of cardboard. Love it.
Marge