WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Drawing and Sketching > The Classroom
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 11:50 AM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Basic 101: Class 9

Judi, would you please post your comments also on the Main forum so everyone can see. Blah is family as far as I am concerned.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Daniel M. Mendelowitz (1967) Drawing. Stanford University Press.
ISBN: 0-8047-1089-9

This is the book I wanted to do a report about, but as it isn’t a how-to-do-it book, I couldn’t really make it my proper report. I hope I’ll be forgiven for bending the rules and including it anyway! The back cover says that the book “…provides a tremendous variety of drawing techniques through a historical survey of drawing.” The joy of this book is over 300 reproductions of magnificent drawings; it was this book more than anything that made me interested in drawing as an art form in its own right, rather than as a preparation for painting. These drawings are truly inspirational.

Part one of the book is a discussion about what is drawing.

Part two is the first main part of the book. It is a historical survey of drawing from the Renaissance to the twentieth century. Who can fail to be inspired by the drawings of Leonardo, Raphael and Michelangelo? I’m especially lucky in that there are wonderful collections of the latter two artists’ work in Oxford, and I’ve actually held some of them in my own hands! There are equally inspiring drawings from all the main artistic eras, including ones by Guardi, Durer, Rembrandt, Rubens, Claude, Courbet, Constable, Seurat, Matisse, Picasso, Kollwitz, Hopper, Wyeth, Klee, and so on. This section shows how drawing has developed over the centuries, but also demonstrates the incredible variety of styles of drawing.

This theme is developed in part three, which has chapters devoted to line, form and value, and texture. One of the best drawings is a seated figure by Picasso. You can see what he meant by being able to draw like Raphael when he was a child! There are also some surprises: I wouldn’t have expected to see a virtuoso line drawing by Cezanne, for example. As regards texture, the inclusion of one of Kathe Kollwitz’s famous drawings is not exactly a surprise, but has anyone ever been able to match her amazing technique with charcoal of conte?

Part four is about drawing media, with chapters devoted to dry and wet media, respectively. In the former category, we see drawings by Ingres in the pencil section and Seurat in the section on Conte crayon---again, no surprise---but also a lovely Monet drawing in scratchboard which I’d never seen before. In the ink section is one of my all-time favourite drawings: Claude Lorrain’s “The Tiber Above Rome,” in the British Museum. This is one of the best examples of why drawing is so magical: a few dabs of brown ink are all the artist needed to create a wonderful landscape.

This isn’t a book that will give you instructions about how to draw, but if you are anything like me you can’t fail but to be excited and inspired every time you pick it up and dip into it.

#48   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oxford, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi1957
I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but the tsunami tidal waves hit Blah's hometown of Chennai, India, where some 50,000 people are thought to have been made homeless. That's all I know at this time. Pray for them all.

I'm ashamed to admit that hadn't occurred to me. But I think I'm right in thinking that his recent silence started before the disaster. So, I'm hoping the silence doesn't mean anything too ominous as far as he personally is concerned. It's clearly a terrible disaster.

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 12:13 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Well, I kept thinking that maybe Blah is my missing partner in the Virtual exchange thread. I also just checked in my rockpainting group for a Malaysian friend and thank God she and her family are fine.

OK, Blah was not on the exchange list so that's not relevant. Sorry.

Last edited by bjcpaints : 12-28-2004 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Checked list and Blah was not on it
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 01:00 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

I checked Blah's profile, and his last post was in Lesson 8, on 12/13, well before the tsunami - let's hope he's just been out of town . . . like farther inland!!!
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 03:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi! everyone, , had to go get a foot Xray this morning. I don't know what I did to my foot, but I'm a jogger and I haven't jogged for a week so what ever I did, I did walking around those malls in San Antonio, lol!

Dave, what wonderful book reports, In your first one I found chapter II very interesting because I think it is style that makes the artist and we are never taught to achieve style. Your second one sounds like a marvelous book.

Judi, you picked a glorious book and one that I would love to have. CP seems so difficult for to me and my only attemps have been done in the WDT.

Metier, I love that book and I also have her Drawing on the Artist Within
I have to admit I have not thoroughly read either one because I have always painted and what I have learned about drawing I have learned from JayD and the fabulous subbies.

Cathie, those books do sound like fun, I haven't seen them.

I have been pondering on doing mine on a book that is not really a, How to do book, and I have dicided not to because it is meant more for abstract artists. It is, Trust the Process by Shaun Mcniff. Instead I will do it on Experiential Drawing by Robert Regis Dvorák

I have also been very worried about Blah but I have my hopes up that it would be very hard for him to communicate under the circumstances of the country.

See you all later, I'll start with my report.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Hi everyone

Wow I hope Blah is safe and yes he was absent way before the disaster hit.

Judi, I recieved a 120 set of prismacolor pencils last year and rarely use them because I do not know how to draw realistic with them.
Your book report convinced me to buy it. I have admired her paintings and did not realize she created a how to book.

Now if Bev Doolittle had one too, she is another artist I admire.

Dave, both your reports are very well informative and very good tools for any artist to own regardless of what level they are.

Metier, I always have liked Betty Edwards teachings.

CJ, I have not heard of any but it would be nice to learn from your book report.

Barbara, Walter Foster books are wonderful I have a few, if that is what your referring to.

I also want to say, that I am sorry for not commenting earlier on the reason why you want to learn to draw horses better. I meant to write this and went back and noted that I did not,
My condolences to your friend for her loss and I know you will do a wonderful horse portrait for her.

Mary I know your report be great on whatever you decide to do.

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend
NYS

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultry
Hi everyone
Wow I hope Blah is safe and yes he was absent way before the disaster hit.

Barbara, Walter Foster books are wonderful I have a few, if that is what your referring to.
I also want to say, that I am sorry for not commenting earlier on the reason why you want to learn to draw horses better. I meant to write this and went back and noted that I did not,
My condolences to your friend for her loss and I know you will do a wonderful horse portrait for her.

No problem Sultry. I spoke to him last night and he is still so upset. I won't go into the details of the options of what you have to do with a deceased horse here, but he certainly did not take the easy way out.. He can't even imagine going through pictures at this point of course.
My original reason for wanting to draw and paint horses was completely selfish as we are right near Saratoga Race Track which brings tons of tourists in the summer.
The book I have is actually a Walter Foster "Drawing with Pencil Project Book" with contributions by several artists. It is like a Reader's Digest version of several of the W.F. books I think. About my speed for my attention span. I have looked through it many times and have still not done one of the projects so this is good incentive for me. Thanks for asking.
Barbara
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 03:58 PM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Book Report for Lesson 9
by Sultry

Title: Draw Horses With Sam Savitt
Author: Sam Savitt
ISBN Number: 0-670-28259-6
Publisher: The Viking Press (A Studio Book)
Hardcover, 96 pages

[U]Reason why I own this book:[/u]
I always loved horses since I can remember, so much, that I used to collect pictures and books of them. I was so awe struck by them that I even wanted to be one. I remember in grade school instead of jumping over a rope, I used to have it around my waist as a type of harness and another playmate would be holding it as make shift reins behind me. I can still remember how I used to want to high step prance and be the prettiest horse on the school ground because other classmates were horses too.
So when I received this book from my parents, you can imagine how much I related to the author Sam. He to said he used to play pretend he was a horse and that he used to be a harness horse that used to actually pull his neighborhood kids on a wagon.

I was so mesmerized by the horse that I even sketched them everywhere. I remember I used to turn in my assignments with horse heads all over the pages. Thinking back on it now, I know I my poor teachers must of really disliked hunting in a doodling maze for my math or language.

Summary:

Introduction
Sam describes his fascination for the horse and also how to use this book.
He rationalizes the basis to paint the horse in an accurate realistic manner, is to analyze the horse and to experience the horses’ behavior.

This will enable the artist to draw with precise knowledge of the horse along with what he sees so the drawing will even be more convincing (and what the artist does not see).

* Skeletal
* Muscles
* Parts
* Photos
* Live horses
To take baby steps in learning to draw the horse by realizing how a horse would re-act and not re-act by observing and memorizing.

1/ Parts Of The Horse
Shows 31 Horse Parts so the artist will recognize what he is referring to in later chapters.
Supplies drawings and how to draw parts of the horse from geo shapes and to understand how they fit in when the horse is displaying different expressions.

*Head - Rectangle; diamond; ovals

*Ears - cylinder funnels

*Eyes - front view slanted half ovals; side view rounded edged triangle
When drawing the horse head from the front, never draw the eyes on the front of the face but on the side.

*Nostrils - oval or
Relaxed - 6
Excited - O
Sniffing or reaching - flattened stretched out 6

*Legs & hooves - Drawings of different positions: front; side; behind and to see the negative shape when sketching them (also underneath the hoof).

*Body - Cylinders that fit together
He shows the artist that the body fits in a square device to over all portion the body & legs to make an ideal conformation horse.
Note each horse varies in conformation but the square device is good to use and then to alter it fit the horse the artist is drawing.
He explains the distance of each body part and how they relate to other parts in distance.
He shows 6 diagrams
One ex. The distance from the top of the withers to the ground is the same distance of the point of shoulder to the rump.
Shows 25 Skeletal Parts for the artist to understand how the skeletal parts connect and function and not function.
Shows 17 Muscle Parts for the artist to remember how the shape and contour of each muscle, so you will be able to apply the correct line textures.

2/ The Horse In Motion
So the artist will comprehend how the horse functions.
One ex. Walking- when the left front hoof begins to leave the ground, the right hind hoof will follow.
How the horse carries its head differently when they walk. Some may carry it high and others low.
Step by step drawings of a horse in action:
Walking 1 to 12 figures
Trot 1 to 9 figures
Gallop 1 to 9 figures
Canter 1 to 10 figures
Pace 1 to 9 figures
Amble 1 to 9 figures
Jump from start to land
Other positions: falling; rearing; bucking; climbing; descending down; rolling over; lying down; frolicking; shaking; scratching; shying; grazing; fighting

3/ Variations of the Horse
Drawings of different breeds
Drawings of ponies
Drawings of older horses
Drawings of foals; colts and fillies
Drawings of horses in the wild
Drawings of horses with riders & etiquettes
Drawings of different tack and saddles on the horse
Also touches on - Conformation; Markings; Conformation faults; Heights

4/ Drawing Techniques
Overlay Method
This method can be used for correcting or changing a drawing.
The artist learns to save part of the drawing and overlay a clean piece of paper to trace it on. Transfers to a new paper.
Corrective Drawing
Ex. The artist drew the horse with too long front legs; he can transfer the rest of the horse that is accurately drawn to the new paper and re-draw the legs there or practice drawing them on a separate paper and add them. This will keep the drawing of the horse well portioned with out having to erase.
Changed Drawing
Ex. The artist drew the horse grazing and decided to have the head raised or visa versa.
Drawing Action
He demonstrates gesture strokes by using a single line to display the action of the movement of the horse. To add the rest of the geo shapes to the line to draw the horse.
He explains how to use the lines to show movement.
Making Corrections
Look at the drawing in a mirror or trace the drawing on a sheet of tracing paper and turn it over and look at it with a fresh view.
To correct the mistakes on the wrong side and erase them on the right side by flopping back and forth till the drawing is corrected on both sides of the tracing paper.
Silhouettes
General relationship of forms within a silhouette is the same in ľ view shows distances of body parts whether the horse is facing or turned away from viewer.
Where to place the rider
Drawings of the horse from all angles and positions with a rider
Photographs
Explains the photograph can distort the actual conformation of a horse and by properly seeing the photo flaw.
Ex. A picture of a horse from the behind may show the rump way too large.
If you trace the horse photograph and look at the traced drawing, it causes the eye to see the distorted parts.
This also helps to correct it on the tracing paper.

Biography
1917-2000
He started out as an illustrator for Dell Comics from Western Printing in 1951 where a line of comics for Gene Autry's horse Champion had already been started.
His paintings and drawings are displayed at *Museum of the American West: Autry National Center and *The Roy Rogers-Dale Evans Museum & Happy Trails Theater.
Books He illustrated
One Horse, One Hundred Miles, One Day
The Dingle Ridge Fox and Other Stories
Great Horses of the United States Equestrian Team with Bill Steinkraus
Vicki and the Brown Mare
Vicki and the Black Horse
Wild Horse Running
Sam Savitt’s True Horse Stories
How to Take Care Of Your Horse Until the Vet Comes with Herb Martin
Ups and Downs with Susanne Wilding
Equestrian Olympic Sketchbook
America’s Horses
A Day at the L.B.J. Ranch
Rodeo: Cowboys, Bulls and Broncos
Around the World with Horses
There Was a Horse
Midnight
Step-a-Bit
Attached Images

Last edited by sultry : 12-28-2004 at 04:06 PM.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 10:00 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

There are some really terrific book reports here! Sults, I won't be doing a report on the Kistler book - it's just for fun and meant for children - the shading, etc., are pretty much below the level we're at now (boy, doesn't that sound pretentious!) and it's too heavy to travel with. I'll take something else to play with while we're gone.

The mailman didn't deliver the book JayD assigned to me today, and we'll be gone by mail delivery time tomorrow, so my report will wait until next week.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 10:17 PM
A WC! Legend
High Point, NC

Hails from United States

CJ--don't worry-that is why we have the two weeks.

I honestly did not expect you folks to whip these up so fast and so enthusiastically.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada

I just wanted to join with you all in prayers and hope that Blah and his family are well.

ps I am enjoying the book reports ( you guys ARE FAST ) and looking forward to the rest.

thanks Jayd, Great Idea!!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 11:23 PM
Immortalized
near South Padre Island

Hails from United States

Jay,

I am going to post my B4 horse drawing (not B4 the book, could not find one) but I am not sure how long ago I did this.

I am also going to post my current WIP drawing (you have already commented on this) that I have started last week. I have completed the horse part in the drawing.

I whipped through this because it is the end of the year and due to the fact I also handle the books at my job, I will be pulled away from my personal hobbies.

I also would like to say it would be nice to see everyone's WIP projects too. LOL class must really love me.

First one is the horse done years ago

Second is WIP which I will be doing in acyrlics later.

edited to add ...Hiyas Gina
Attached Images

Last edited by sultry : 12-28-2004 at 11:27 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 11:32 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Wow! Look what the mailman left on my doorstep instead of in the mailbox!! Guess I can take it with me after all. Now, to find the time to read it.

I have to tell you that this is photo realism as I've never seen it before. I would never have bought this book on my own . . . it looks waaaaaaay beyond my abilities. But then I have more confidence than before, we'll see what happens.
Attached Images

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2004, 11:42 PM
A Local Legend
Apple Valley, CA

Hails from United States

Forgot to say Hi to Gina!

Sults, we cross-posted. Nice horse(s) . . . I like the new one better. Can't wait to see it painted.

Still waiting for word from Blah . . . and hoping to catch a glimpse of his area on the news.