WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2004, 12:51 AM
Martindale, Texas

Hails from United States
Wagon Wheel Painting (Is it finished?)

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Wagon Wheel Painting (Is it finished?)
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 8
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Some of you have been helping me with comments and suggestions about this little painting. I have applied some and ruled out others after trying them. I think that it is about finished now. What do you think?

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I have a couple of questions that I would like to toss out for discussion from the group.

1) I think that my weeds/grass looks kind of snakelike but I don't know what to do different. Any thoughts?

2) I am wondering if my "whites" are a little to white. Should I tone them down a little with a very thin Umber or Burnt Sienna wash?

3) Any other comments are appreciated.

Thanks again for you time and assistance.

Annie
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2004, 01:58 AM
Lord of the Arts
Denver,Co

Hails from United States
Re: Wagon Wheel Painting (Is it finished?)

Annie, I hope I am not being too presumtious, but you did say that digital alterations were ok. I really like your composition, but I also think that the weeds are really not necessary. The strength of this is in the comp and the play of light across the wheel itself. I lightened the backround a bit, replaced your whites with a light yellow (perhaps naples, or even r. sienna +white), added a tiny touch of cad red highlight, darkened the darks with a dark blue violet and overall just inceased the contrast to make this wheel "pop." If you did all of these things would this be a "better" painting? Maybe not, because I don't know what you are trying to achieve, this is just my interpretation.

Jim
Attached Images

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2004, 02:27 PM
Martindale, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi There Wood Guy!

Thanks for your suggestions and the photo showing your suggestions. I never knew what they meant by saying that digital alterations were OK. I guess that I just thought that they would alter the size if it did not fit. Thanks for applying yours. That helped me to see things more clearly.

I would like to keep just a hint of the grass/weeds, primarily for the extra color and something organic. But....I just don't like the way that I paintied them. Like I said, I think that they look like snakes. I think that I will take some of them out and shorten them.

You are on the right track concerning what I would like to do with the painting. I would, very much, like the colors to "pop out". I will try the color suggestions. they sound like they would help out a lot. The only colors that I had used so far, for the wheel portion, were Payne's Gray, White, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Burnt Umber,and some Ivory Black. The addition of some of the suggested colors should give it more bounce.

Thanks for your input.

Annie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Enthusiast
Mid west

Hails from United States

Annie. Jim is right on! That really makes it pop, now as for the weeds..they do look a little snakey..just get your paint real thin and start at the bottem of the canvas and make upward movements.. some will be longer and some shorter, and different angles, but that is how real weeds grow.. Looking good Janice