WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing > Framing Discussions
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Immortalized

What's the best GOLD paint? (for frames)

Hello.....say, are there any GOOD gold paints out there for re-doing picture frames? These are for prints and I dont want to put the time and expense into gold leafing. Years ago there really weren;t any decent golds that really looked half-way right....has that changed? (brush or spray is fine)

Thank you kindly!.......
RC
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 PM
A Local Legend
London UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: What's the best GOLD paint? (for frames)

Hi RC - I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this into the framing forum, as I think you will get more help there (but I'll leave a pointer in Oils so people there can find it and contribute too )

Dave
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
N.W.Wash.

Hails from United States

I bought a nice gold paint from Gamblin. It's an oil modified alkyd resin paint. The shade is named 'pale gold'. It's absolutely a beautiful gold. I didn't look at the other gold they have...this one looks good to me...
I smeared it on a cream colored paper. Here's the shot...I can take a pic on white paper if you need...it's already smeared.
Cochisa
...wow..that was quick, Dave, I started posting my reply in the oil forum, came out in another land when I finished....
Attached Images

Last edited by Cochisa : 12-01-2004 at 09:14 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast
Downeast Maine

Hails from United States

Hi RC,
Liberon makes the best looking gold paint for repairing antique frames that Ive found . They come in a cream / soft wax type binder that works very nicely with a soft brush or even fingers, and by mixing one or another of the different tints I can generally match perfectly any gold leaf , even old and off-color ones.

Unfortunately I cant lay hands on my sample chart right off the bat, but I will find it today and post a scan, along with a scan of different actual gold leaf so you will have a comparison .
C
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Lord of the Arts

I don't know of a gold paint that will replicate actual gold leaf.

I found an acceptable paint at my local ACE HARDWARE store that is as good as the more expensive "artist label" golds that I've purchased in the past. Where I have used it I've overcoated it with a clear varnish or lacquer to keep it from oxidizing since it is NOT pigmented with real gold but rather with a metal-sulfide of some sort.

Last edited by Enchanted : 12-02-2004 at 09:11 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast
Downeast Maine

Hails from United States

Hi again RC,

Sorry - I cant find that chart . However, NY Central art supply will send you one if you email or call and ask for the Liberon Gilding Cream sample chart . They also have a nice sample chart of various gold leaf if you are interested .
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
N.W.Wash.

Hails from United States

Me too, RC..
Hi again!
I haven't actually painted on frames (any frames let alone) with this Gamblin Pale Gold. I dug out an old wood box, the gold paint had faded away.
I found a small brush and this is what one coat looks like painted on wood.
Do you think the resin medium would stay to the wood? If not, I wonder about some sort of protective layer over...
Cochisa
p.s..I probably should have laid the paint down a little thicker. I didn't have a small enough brush for the little ends on the leaves, and they started to get blurred...so I quit at this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Cochisa : 12-02-2004 at 06:31 PM. Reason: oops! forgot the pic...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 10:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Most 'metallic' paints are pigmented with coated mica flakes - most artists' paints use these - which are completely lightfast and permanent but some are made from bronzes of different kinds, with and without added coloured pigments. Check the label of whatever you're using to see if it specifies the pigment as the latter type may need varnish to protect them but the former do not.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Immortalized

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all....you good folks are the BEST! Very helpful and much appreciated!!
:-)
RC

PS....I will experiment and let you all know the results.....
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
N.W.Wash.

Hails from United States

This one says:
Pigment: Bronze powder (PM2).
hmm... needs the protective layer.
Cochisa