WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2004, 04:49 PM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States
Getting Started in Fantasy Art

Thank you Michelle, for a great article with tips on how to get started with Fantasy Art!!

I know everyone will enjoy reading some of the ups and the downs of starting a new venture into the fantasy realm.

The article is located at "Getting Started in Fantasy Art"

Be sure to Join the Conversation after you read the article!!
carly
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2004, 02:02 AM
A Local Legend
Alberta Canada

Hails from Canada
Thumbs up Re: Getting Started in Fantasy Art

WONDERFUL article Michelle!!
Some GREAT advice!!

Murray
----------------------------
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2004, 08:25 AM

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Getting Started in Fantasy Art

It's about time we had an article

Thanks Michelle, well worth reading!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Thanks for the support. This wasn't an easy article to put together, since there's just so MUCH to say on the topic. It was inspired by some questions that a couple of people were asking me, and I thought it would be a good idea. I just hope it's helpful. I plan to do more once the holiday fluster is done with. I've gotten some great article ideas and concepts from some of the other people here on WC that I can't wait to run with.

And yeah, I thought it was odd that this forum didn't have any articles. Well *dusts hands off* that's fixed now.

Michelle
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast
Heidelberg, Germany

Hails from Germany

Thanks for the article Michelle.

I haven't been here for long enough to give you merit/mentor points, but I strongly encourage those who can to do so.

Anne

My Artist Trading Cards gallery
My photos in the Reference Image Library (French alps, cows, a few other places in Europe)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

Great idea Anne......done!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 07:19 PM
Hazlet,NJ

Hails from United States

Great Article, Michelle And it's true. I've been doing Fantasy Art for 2 years, and I'm just getting my foot in the door. What you said about working at it is right on the money. I draw and paint in my studio on the average of 4-6 hours a day, including working on my website and selling.
Ed Hicks

www.thefairykingdom.com

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 09:19 PM

Good inspiring article. I actually have been collecting the Spectrum books for a while - vol 11 is overdue! LOL About reading the Fantasy art novels, I like the art better - mainly cuz I find myself tripping over the way fantasy writers name things... But I don't give up, every now and then an author rises above the others, and I can get past the first 40 pages.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

Splendid, inspiring article. Thank you so much!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Norfolk, Virginia

Hails from United States

Really enjoyed the article. I've been wanting to start this for a while. I have all the equipment, and a bit of know-how - just need the pen to paper. I'm inspied now! Thanks!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 02:12 AM

I really enjoyed this article, Michelle, there were a lot of things there that I never really considered before, and I feel richer for it.
The only thing I could possibly add is the advice on building Fantasy Worlds given by the Fantasy Writer Patricia C. Wrede, which is equally applicable to Fantasy Artwork. Anyone who is interested can visit the page at:
http://www.io.com/~eighner/world_bui...der_index.html
I recommend Patricia's advice highly, though I cannot endorse the advertisers.
Steve
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Neat article. Now can we have one on how to be a paid illustrator? That is: how to talk to a publisher, how much art you should have in your portfolio, and most importantly: How much do you get paid? What is the usual rate? That is the question that no one answers and if one were to actually start talking to a publisher that is something one should know. I have no clue what illustrators make or what to ask for or if I would get a weekly check or what and you don't want to sound too dumb about these things and I don't know who to ask.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast
Heidelberg, Germany

Hails from Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSt
The only thing I could possibly add is the advice on building Fantasy Worlds given by the Fantasy Writer Patricia C. Wrede, which is equally applicable to Fantasy Artwork. Anyone who is interested can visit the page at:
http://www.io.com/~eighner/world_bui...der_index.html
I recommend Patricia's advice highly, though I cannot endorse the advertisers.

Wonderful link. Complementary to the article. Somehow I found it difficult to connect fantasy / Sci-Fi to art, though I appreciate a number of Sci-Fi writers. Now I know, it's about creating a world. That's CREATION indeed! So I'm hooked with fantasy / Sci-Fi art, but I'll need more than seven days...

Anne

My Artist Trading Cards gallery
My photos in the Reference Image Library (French alps, cows, a few other places in Europe)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Houston, Texas

Hails from United States

Interesting link about world-building. Thanks!

As for payment for illustrators, that's a tough one, and that's why I am no longer focusing on illustration as a career path. The best thing to do is to pick up a copy of the book "2005 Artist's & Graphic Designer's Market". It's got listings for companies and publications that are looking for illustrators, and they do list companies that want fantasy and sci-fi work. They give their pay rate and the kind of thing that they are looking for, and have magazines, book publishers, card companies and lots of other stuff. You can also look up companies on the web, but that won't really help you with the payscale thing.

I personally found that fantasy illustration pays much less than traditional illustration, and is extremely hard to break into. And, basically, because there are so many hungry fantasy artists out there who will work for little to nothing to be in print, the companies can get away with paying very very little. When you are starting, you cannot really negotiate payment. You can agree to do it for what they want to pay, or you can decline and they will find someone who will. It takes a long time to build up a relationship with a client. Often, by the time you do so they have 1) gone out of business 2) been sold to someone who has no idea who you are or 3) have decided that in order to get someone very popular to work for them, they are now giving all of the other illo work to a family member of that popular person (that sounds bitter, but this has actually happened to me on more than one occasion, with magazines).

I also got tired of being asked to focus on work outside of the range I really wanted to work in, and wasting a lot of time building portfolio work that I never get responses on. I've decided to go the "print artist" or "convention artist" route, and my art has absolutely blossomed since that decision. If someone wants to offer me illo work, I'll consider it, but I am no longer actively looking for it.

Sorry I couldn't help more. There are a lot of successful illustrators out there who make a living at it (and good for them! Some of them are the nicest, most talented people I've met.), but I just got sick of all the politics involved in getting work. Maybe someone else will speak up on the subject.

Michelle
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Norfolk, Virginia

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: Getting Started in Fantasy Art

On a subject like this - those of us interested, are obviously living at least part time in a "fantasy world" - it's refreshing to hear a your comments - a view from the real world. Thanks, and good luck to you.