WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Any complaints with using usps mailing tubes?

I just received some mailing tubes from the USPS. I'm really pleased with them, but I am also wondering if anyone has received complaints from clients after mailing in these because of the slight curling and attention to flattening out this would cause.

Kathy
http://threepsandq.wordpress.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Behind the hot water pipes, third washroom along

Hails from United States
Re: Any complaints with using usps mailing tubes?

No one has complained to me about shipping in tubes, and I've been doing it for a few years.

Most of the people I have bought large prints from use tubes. I prefer the triangular tubes, as they are far stronger than typical round tubes, and lighter than the heavy duty round tubes I've seen.

Besides, how feasible is it to ship an 18x24 poster flat?

Matt

my website
my cast iron blog
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Enthusiast
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.
No one has complained to me about shipping in tubes, and I've been doing it for a few years.

Most of the people I have bought large prints from use tubes. I prefer the triangular tubes, as they are far stronger than typical round tubes, and lighter than the heavy duty round tubes I've seen.

Besides, how feasible is it to ship an 18x24 poster flat?

Matt

Right--I ship 14" x 18" (the mat size) prints flat, and that's a bit of a hassle. I have to use heavy cardboard boxes and leave a couple inches of "bump space" on each side to ensure that the prints arrive undamaged. That makes them a bit heavier, and the dimensions of the box I use (I affix the print in the middle of the flat box) are 24" square. For an 18 x 24, you'd need the box to be at least 28" on one side. My shipping costs, with insurance, work out close to my $6 shipping/handling/insurance charge, and that's not including materials, so that takes away a bit of my profit on the print. And I've paid up to $17 to mail the way I do internationally.

My wife keeps trying to talk me into using tubes and selling prints without the mats, but I like selling with mats a lot better, and I figure that increases the chances that someone might actually hang the work up when they receive it instead of sticking it in a closet, on a shelf, under a couch, etc.

I have bought a number of posters in tubes (I collect a lot of horror film posters), and only had a problem one time--somehow, the US Postal Service managed to puncture a heavy-duty tube, which punctured the poster, too. So tubes aren't a bad idea (although I have a number of posters still in tubes in a closet, but that's a space issue, lol)

Last edited by King Rundzap : 11-26-2004 at 10:27 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Thanks for the replies...has anyone sent original watercolors on 140 lb or heavier paper. That is what I would be shipping in the tubes...which are the triangular ones...

Kathy
http://threepsandq.wordpress.com/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2004, 06:07 AM
Immortalized
Oklahoma, the land of flying roofs

Hails from United States

I once sent a watercolor in a usps tube. The art arrived all safe and sound but the buyer informed me that the framer told them we should never send watercolor paper (140) rolled because it makes it harder to frame.
I send larger canvas prints that way all the time and never have a problem.

My Blog .. My darker art Blog .. Etsy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2004, 08:01 AM
Enthusiast
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjoe
Thanks for the replies...has anyone sent original watercolors on 140 lb or heavier paper. That is what I would be shipping in the tubes...which are the triangular ones...

I don't see why that should be a problem, although I'll only ship watercolor (and oil pastel and other works done in similar more "fragile" media) already framed, under glass. I still tend to be a bit paranoid about customers taking care of originals, and I worry that if I don't send them already framed, there's more of a chance that they'll end up lying around their house so that they'll get damaged.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
N. Georgia

Hails from United States

We do a fair amount of print shipping, and the triangular tubes from USPS have proven unreliable. They crush easily.

We switched to Yazoo Mills tubes last year, and have only had one damaged since then. http://www.yazoomills.com/

We tried shipping flat, too, but had little success with prints not gettting creased. Rolled prints flatten out in a couple of days if they are laid out with heavy books to help flatten.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catjoe

I've had several watercolour paintings on the 140 lb paper rolled and shipped to me (in Ohio) from Australia and not had any problem. The painter uses the round tubes though...I'd be a little more leery of the trianglular tubes. And when they arrive, I just put the paintings between two backing boards and but a few books on top for a few days. No problem framing either.