WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2004, 03:29 PM

Can you make your own texture paste for acrylic work on canvas????

Hi everyone!
I just wondered if it is possible to make your own texture paste I work on canvas with acrylic or gouache paint and fancy doing some textured work, is this possible if so how??? Also is it really important to varnish acrylic work? I have been approached to sell at a local gallery but am not sure of the preparation required! Thank you for reading this post!
Laura xx
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2004, 05:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Mandurah, Western Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: Can you make your own texture paste for acrylic work on canvas????

Hi Laura,
Welcome to Wet Canvas
I'm moving this one over to the acrylics forum. You will get all the answers there.

Last edited by Marty C : 11-21-2004 at 05:57 PM. Reason: forgot to say hi!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwomansparkles
Hi everyone!
I just wondered if it is possible to make your own texture paste I work on canvas with acrylic or gouache paint and fancy doing some textured work, is this possible if so how??? Also is it really important to varnish acrylic work? I have been approached to sell at a local gallery but am not sure of the preparation required! Thank you for reading this post!
Laura xx

Not too sure about the paste, but you can get some nice texture just by using thick paint.
It is not necessary to varnish acrylic paintings, as they are self-sealing. Varnishing simply restores the color slightly and provides furthur protection against dust, dirt, etc. If you frame your painting behind glass, there is no real need for varnishing. I would suggest varnishing your paintings if you plan on displaying/selling them at the gallery, just to be on the safe side.

Dave
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2004, 06:15 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Hi and welcome to acrylics.

You can add all sorts of things to the paint. I have seen tissue paper, sand, beads. It all depends on what type of texture you are after and what you may have on hand.
Aint nothing illegal til you get caught - Tickle
My RIL Photos Discoveries With Color My Photos
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2004, 08:03 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Yes you can make your own texture paste if you have the right ingredients, but it might be just simpler to buy a commercial impasto medium. If you want to try making your own you can start with any common acrylic medium and thoroughly mix in an inert filler to increase its body - marble dust is probably the best choice but you can use talc. You can change from a fluid consistency all the way to something close to plaster, but the thicker you make it the more the mixture will tend to make pastel shades when mixed with your paint (as it will be like a weak white paint) and the more brittle it will be as well so don't apply it too thickly and try to avoid flexing the finished painting too much.

Acrylic paintings should ideally be either framed behind glass or varnished to protect the paint layer if you care about their condition in the long term. Acrylic paint films are quite soft and can easily incorporate dust into themselves if left unprotected. If you paint on paper or unprimed canvas I would suggest only framing behind glass. If you would like to read more about varnishing do a quick search here in the acrylic forum for varnish and spirits (see the "Search this Forum" link under the page number, upper right of the main page) and you'll get a number of recent threads that should help.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Lord of the Arts

One of the reasons I suggest acrylics to beginners is its versatility as a medium. It is a wonderful "glue" for instance. I have outside a panel painted about seven years ago that incorporates all sorts of "textural" elements including fine gravel, twigs, pine needles, string and I forget what else. It was done as a class demo to show the ability of acrylic (clear varnish) to encapsulate all sorts of high-relief objects. I set it outdoors for use as a kneeling pad when needing to do something under my house foundation. And it has been exposed to all extremes for those years and is still looking about as good as when I first set it out in my yard. Tomorrow, if I think about it, I'll take a closeup photo and post it to this thread. Until then...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2004, 06:54 AM

Thank you so much for all your help!
I am off to have a go at the talc mixed base now( quite fancy an experiment!!) I will pop to art shop this avo to buy some paste and just try out a few different textures see where i go and what i prefer! I will post some pics just to show you where im at at the mo! Thank again everyone much appreciated!!!
Love
Laura x
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Lord of the Arts

As promised...here is a new thread that demonstrates what I had earlier posted:

Durability Demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxas
One of the reasons I suggest acrylics to beginners is its versatility as a medium. It is a wonderful "glue" for instance. I have outside a panel painted about seven years ago that incorporates all sorts of "textural" elements including fine gravel, twigs, pine needles, string and I forget what else. It was done as a class demo to show the ability of acrylic (clear varnish) to encapsulate all sorts of high-relief objects. I set it outdoors for use as a kneeling pad when needing to do something under my house foundation. And it has been exposed to all extremes for those years and is still looking about as good as when I first set it out in my yard. Tomorrow, if I think about it, I'll take a closeup photo and post it to this thread. Until then...