WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 05:35 AM

Hails from United States
How to number and print art prints??

I have made 1000 prints of one of my paintings. It is really selling. Can I print more after 1000 if I make them a different size???
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 07:23 AM
Immortalized
Oklahoma, the land of flying roofs

Hails from United States
Re: How to number and print art prints??

I moved this to General Art Business as I feel you will get more help here.

My Blog .. My darker art Blog .. Etsy
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 10:17 AM

Hails from United States

Hi,

I sell limited edition reproductions in 2 image sizes. A couple things to keep in mind:

So long as you are upfront with customers of your policy, and so long as you can manage your records to know "which customer got edition 4/1000 at 16x22 and which customer got edition 4/1000 in size 8x10", you should be ok.

Again, I stress that you should be upfront with customers on this policy. Good luck, glad you're selling.

Ara Hagopian
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

When asked by artists that use our service we usually tell them 250 is a good number of LE's. Many times they will do the larger prints as LE's and then do a smaller, 8x10, 12x16 or so as an open edition.

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by williems
I have made 1000 prints of one of my paintings. It is really selling. Can I print more after 1000 if I make them a different size???

A lot of artists, including me, offer different limited edition prints of the same original work in different sizes. I have four sizes, three of which are limited editions of 250, and the largest, which I only sell on eBay, use for promotions, etc. is a limited edition of only 10.

As someone else mentioned, just make sure you keep adequate records of what you're selling. That's easy enough to do with a database, or even just an Excel spreadsheet or Word document (although make sure you're doing back-ups ) Also as already mentioned, it's a good idea to be as upfront about your policies as you can be. You don't want to tick anyone off, especially potential return customers.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
N. Georgia

Hails from United States

Some states now require COA for limited editions. I can't find the link for a reference to that, but here's one on the general subject:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...0/ai_102840436
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2004, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
N. Georgia

Hails from United States

anudder couple:

http://apa.pmai.org/standards.html
http://www.venable.com/docs/resource...ostingart.html

Here's the states that require:

Quote:
Some states have disclosure
laws that require the dealer to give you such information. These
include Arkansas, California, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois,
Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Oregon, South Carolina,
and Wisconsin.

from http://www.totse.com/en/bad_ideas/sc.../artfraud.html

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast
New York City

drowningcreek, thanks for posting those links--good information in all of those, although I disagree with making it a law that COA's must be given, and that later editions cannot be made in different sizes, substrates, etc. And 14 states have passed that already--yikes!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
N. Georgia

Hails from United States

Hey King Rundzap,

I disagree with it being made into laws, too..... and I wonder what events precipitated the need for such laws. I am aware of at least one case where a dealer in the market in which we work was making prints of some posters by other artists and selling them -- I would imagine unauthorized copies of some sort were the problem that made the states feel like they had to define the law.

We live in GA, and we do s/n limited edition scree prints, but we do not issue COAs for those. We do issue COAs for the giclee prints we do. Of course, we are working in a renegade art market, not a fine art market, so doubtfully anyone will ever give us a rash over it.

When we do giclee prints of a piece, we set a larger size that is s/n w/ a COA, and then have a much smaller open ended edition for the folks who can't spend for the larger ones. We are very clear about that in our "disclosure" to prevent anyone from later being agitated.

Judy
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowningcreek
Hey King Rundzap,

I disagree with it being made into laws, too..... and I wonder what events precipitated the need for such laws. I am aware of at least one case where a dealer in the market in which we work was making prints of some posters by other artists and selling them -- I would imagine unauthorized copies of some sort were the problem that made the states feel like they had to define the law.

We live in GA, and we do s/n limited edition scree prints, but we do not issue COAs for those. We do issue COAs for the giclee prints we do. Of course, we are working in a renegade art market, not a fine art market, so doubtfully anyone will ever give us a rash over it.

When we do giclee prints of a piece, we set a larger size that is s/n w/ a COA, and then have a much smaller open ended edition for the folks who can't spend for the larger ones. We are very clear about that in our "disclosure" to prevent anyone from later being agitated.

Judy

After reading through the material you posted links to, I finally decided to start providing COAs with all of my prints, too. Not because I'm worried about getting into legal trouble so much as realizing that if so many people are taking them that seriously (at least enough people for it to be a law in 14 states), it's probably a good marketing angle to provide COAs. I was seeing them as more frivolous previously (to me, it doesn't seem like it really provides any better guarantee that something is legitimate, etc.). Now I just have to update all of those pages on my website--I _knew_ I should have buckled down and learned Cascading Style Sheets before now, lol! I kept putting it off, and at the same time kept thinking--"I'm going to think of something else I want to change on all of the pages on my site, and I'm going to have to change hundreds of individual files" . . . and here I am, still putting it off, lol.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
N. Georgia

Hails from United States

Yup... that's pretty much why I've tried to make sure that we have the edition sizes and other printing info disclosed on our web site. We've been doing limited editions since around 1999, but we had not really been keeping track of the total number of A/Ps in the beginning. Now we number the A/Ps as well as the regular edition.

We have been fortunate to work ourselves into a niche market of rock poster collectors, and they are quite adamant about edition sizes and disclosure. It does not take much to lose the trust of some collectors if they think you're printing either more of the same edition, or if you sell prints from the same edition that are not numbered. Our collectors have done a grand job of educating us this year!

The rock poster business is flooded with artists right now, as are many other areas of the art world. If we lose our collector base, we know they have many other artists/designers to choose from. It's definitely in our best interests as a studio to keep them happy and not do anything to lose their trust.

COAs are not very practical for our LE prints.... some of the editions are 1000 pcs or more, and many of the editions are sold from the merch table at concerts along side the t-shirts. No way the merch guys would want to deal with COAs. We just do them for the art prints we create.

Of course, this could change at any given time as we must grow and evolve with the needs and desires of our market.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Immortalized

Hails from United States

We offer COA's with all the Giclee's that we print. On the COA's it will state whether or not the print is a LE or open edition. The artists like this and their customers like this. Seems to add value in the minds of the buyers.