WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Lord of the Arts
basel switzerland

Hails from Canada
Tulip Delight

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Tulip Delight
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: each canvas 53 x 65 cm
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
Series of 4 oil paintings each 53 x 65 cm hung together. This was an idea I had to paint a series of paintings reflecting the 4 seasons, with Spring first, then Summer, Fall and Winter. The color scheme of the geometric shapes are harmonious throughout the painting, long rectangles and short same colors on the vase, squares at the bottom are the colors of the tulips, and so on……
Please note that due to my resizing the lighting (flash), and colours may appear somewhat dark. The actual painting is vivid in colour reflecting darks, lights and values.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Anything about this idea/composition colour scheme. Appreciate any comments or feedback you may have. Thanks

FaceBookPage

Last edited by LisaArt : 11-18-2004 at 01:59 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 01:52 PM
Casa Grande

Hails from United States
Re: Tulip Delight

There all very nice. I like the use of geometric shapes to make it contemporary, due to the photos I can't comment on colors as you said they are actually darker ect... but I really like the one with green and red, that one in particular seems to really pop. I really like the general idea, though I tend to like sets.

Rina
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Saskatchewan

Hails from Canada

When I first saw this, I wasn't crazy about it. Flowers normally aren't my thing and they way the flower arrangement was exactly the same didn't thrill me either. However... when I saw the paintings mounted above the dining area, I suddenly saw the wonderful, graphic style of the pieces and grew to enjoy them. Then, and only then was I able to go back and enjoy the palette selctions and the natural cycle of it all. Good stuff!

I will say one other thing though... ... If the light is coming from the upper left, as shown on the vases, the shadow will lay lower right, not lower left. The bottom right painting (autumn?) does not have a grounding shadow. But then again, your flowers all have varying light sources so it might not matter in the long run.

"You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free.
Everything that is contradictory creates life." - Dali
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 02:07 PM
Resting in Peace
Antwerp, Belgium

Hails from Belgium

Nordic contemporary design-like.
Original manner of depicting the four seasons !
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 05:21 PM
A Local Legend
Rugby, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Lisa a lot of people like this kind of thing, and I think it's as good as anything I've seen from you. It's difficult enough to get the colour working with one painting, then put four together, that is something.

Mikey
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Lisa, I'm so glad you showed the room shot. They look really great. Wonderful job!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 06:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
the Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Hi Lisa
It's really nice to see them together, I think you should keep them together, sell them together.
Have just been figuring out the whole mathematics behind it and quess what?...I get it.
It's quite daring to depict the four seasons with a spring flower.(no more rules!).
Caroline
painting is another language
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
earth

As a group they are very striking. Very good design.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
A WC! Legend
toronto, ontario, canada

it looks incredible installed like that!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 09:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Nationale

Hails from Isle of Man

A lesson of color and line - wonderful display. Thanks for sharing.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:04 AM
Lord of the Arts
basel switzerland

Hails from Canada

Thanks so much Rina, I also very much like sets. I am really into doing them now. Working on another one with an underwater fish scene for my sister.

Hi Crystal, appreciate your comments, I wasn't going to post them hung up in the dining room, and I am glad I did as it really gives shows them better. When I did the first "Spring" I did not really know how they would all look together. Oh, yes the shadows bothered me, I wanted some sort of shadow so it looked more grounded, so I had orginally put the shadow on the right side, but it just looked strange, and as you said there are many light sources so I think it is okay. I too find the Autumn shadow somewhat not dark enough, on the dark orange backing. Think I will darken that bit.

Mange tak Gilberte! Feeling very Nordic today, it snowed last night, but good job it melted away, very cold and windy by the sea today. A good day to stay snuggled up at home painting.

Mikey, Rabitt, Caroline, Earthbot, Jerry, and Tamana, Thanks so much I am Thrilled! You've made my day.
Caroline, I agree that they have to be sold as a set, and my friend desperately wants to buy them, but I think I will not sell them and keep them for myself, I have grown very attached to them.

FaceBookPage