WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2004, 11:06 PM
TN

Hails from United States
Amish Pony ***WIP***

I haven't posted or been to the board in months. We bought a new home in the country on 6 acres, and we have been so busy moving in and painting that I haven't picked up a colored pencil in 5 months until today. I must say the break has been nice, and I'm ready to get back to work on some art. I finally have a studio to work in!! Our new home has 4 bedrooms and one of them is my new studio and business area. I'm still getting used to having so much room, and it still doesn't feel like my home yet! how long does that take?!

Now we just need some horses! LOL and I may be content.

I started on a new one today featuring a Amish pony from just down the road, we are fortunate to have the nicest Amish neighbors and they were so great about letting me photograph their horses. He's the sweetest little work pony, he takes the children to school each day and runs small errands for them. It's wonderful to see horses so admired and loved as theirs are.

Anyway, here's the start. I have the basic outline in blue and some of the eyes worked in. I also am attaching the photo of the pony that I took to work from. Couldn't see his eyes...I'm not a great photographer...so I have to fill in what's not there.

I'll post updates!

Sherrie Engler
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Denver, CO

Hails from United States
Re: Amish Pony ***WIP***

Hi., congratulations on your new home and your new studio hope, you going to use to it fast and do a lot of wonderful drawings, just like this one. I love your pony this far and I think you did very well on his eyes. Good luck with every thing
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Georgia

Hails from United States

Wow you've done a lot in one day. It's looking great already. Such a beautiful subject. He takes the kids to school?? How neat!
Hope you enjoy your new studio/home. I have a workplace in our bedroom and end up drawing in the living room because the light it best there.
I love animal drawings most of all so I'll really be watching this one!
it's that initial feeling you get about something. I think that's a great gift, and sometimes we overlook it." ~ J. Depp
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2004, 11:40 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States

great to see you back...i like what you're starting...a bit different for you?

as for getting used to a home, it usually takes 6 months to a year till you truly feel it's yours.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2004, 11:49 PM
TN

Hails from United States

Alesya...Thank you Alesya, I'm having fun with this one. He's such a adorable little pony, I think anyone could do him justice!

SilverFeather...I work fast and in little areas until they are complete, for me it's easier to work if areas are completed quickly. All I do is horses, so I can relate to be stuck on my favorite subject!

arlene...It's good to be back, I have missed my artwork, but I knew better than to start something new when I didn't have my art area set up. I have to have everything right where I need it or I can't concentrate!

This is a bit different for me, I don't plan to burnish this one, I want to leave it softer than my usual work. I think he just looks like he doesn't need overblending. I probably will do some burnishing on the leather work, just to give it a flatter look. The amish equipment isn't fancy and shiny like the show type, they are very rustic.

Sherrie
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 03:06 AM
A Local Legend
London

Hails from United Kingdom

Sherrie

Nice to meet you. Your new home sounds wonderful - I sooooo long for a studio - lucky you. Did you "head west"?

I love the photo of the pony - such a nice pose, and he's such a cutie! What are you going to do about the background? That post is a bit distracting. I think the start you've made on him is excellent - just one comment. Eyeball the right eyeball again - I think maybe you've got it a teeny bit too large, it's not reading as if it's the same size as the one on the left - but ignore me if you've got more to do on this.

Katherine
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 07:10 AM
Lord of the Arts
morristown, tn.

Hails from United States

great start. i lived in tn. for 49 yrs., 6 acres are great, no one in your window, it's different in fl. a 1/4 acre is above average. enjoy your home and studio. bill
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Nottingham, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout... Is it THAT Jackson? And for friends across the pond, where is TN? Welcome back Sherrie, beautiful horse as always, I will watch this develop with pleasure.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 09:30 AM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States

Great shot Sherrie! We have a large Amish community just a few miles up the road. They are masters with horses. They trained a Tennesse walker I had when I was a teenager. When we got her back my Dad said riding her was like driving a cadillac! Will be watching! wanda
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 01:52 PM
TN

Hails from United States

Katherine T...good notice on the eye, I lost the white eyelash in the front and have to put it back in with gouache, that should fix it. It's so easy to lose the white when you are working on such a small area. The who peice is 15 X 20 but the eye area is only about the size of a dime, thank goodness for gouache.

billiam...isn't that the truth! We can't throw a rock and hit a neighbor, we have farm land bordering 3 sides, and a pair of lovely draft horses and their foal in the pasture across from our front yard! Beats the highway we used to look at!
My daughter and her friends really enjoyed the pool when we first moved in. We had a quick education in learning to operate an inground pool, I had no idea they were so much work!

bearded bob...It was Jackson, tornado city the last 3 years, that's where we moved from. We moved north about 40 miles, maybe we have escaped the tornados for a while! Tennessee is the eastern middle part of the states.

wet...they are masters with horses. One of their horses was lame and they were getting ready to call a vet in, but I took a look at him and was able to see what was wrong very quicky, and told them how to treat him. The elder was taken aback at my knowledge (a woman you know) LOL my husband had to explain to him that I minored in equine science in college, and knew just about everything there is to know about horses. So he was pleased to try my treatment and said was glad we had found their farm. We bought some mums from them earlier, they grow the most beautiful mums!

Sherrie
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Tennessee

Hails from United States

Hi Sherrie;

This Amish Pony is coming out incrediable!!!! I can relate with you as I am primarily an equine artist myself. The photograph doesn't actually show the eyes, but I like how you put them in because it gives the drawing so much more in feeling. I can't wait to see the finished product!!! It's going to look FAB!!!

What part of Tenn are you in? We are locating hopefully in a year or two to East Tenn. area from Massachusetts. We have two acres of land now, and that's not enough for us. We are renting my brother in laws house, but can't afford to buy here. Too expensive!

Good luck on your new home, new studio space (what we all need) and please post the finished piece!!!!

Fiddle Kat
Attached Images

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 02:13 PM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States

It's not easy to impress an Amish elder!!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2004, 03:29 PM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearded bob
We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout... Is it THAT Jackson? And for friends across the pond, where is TN? Welcome back Sherrie, beautiful horse as always, I will watch this develop with pleasure.

lol..........GREAT SONG!!

I want to live in the country!!!

This is going to be a beauty ........I have so much to learn....I thought you had to do it all at one time....you just do on one area till complete and move on ...interesting
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
State of Confusion

Hails from United States

Wonderful start. I love the pose!

I was raised on a 160 acre Christmas tree farm in Oregon and the nearest neighbor was a mile away. We were really isolated. The first time I moved anywhere near the city was when I was 19 and it was freaky because I moved to an apartment where you could hear every single neighbor and conversation that went on. Freaky!

----------------------------------------
Art is a collarboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better. Andre Gide
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Malvern, OH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAggieDarlin
lol..........I have so much to learn....I thought you had to do it all at one time....you just do on one area till complete and move on ...interesting

Aggie,

After you've been around here awhile you'll see that there are different ways to achieve the same end. Some artists focus on a small area and work out from there, others bring the whole piece along at the same time. I prefer to work the whole piece at the same level and bring it all along at close to the same pace. I'll generally put a few layers on everything, then I focus on the background. Then it's back to the main subject. I want to have the bg fairly complete before putting too much into the subject, as arlene frequently reminds us final colors of the main subject will be influenced by the bg. Lastly comes the "tweaking," details and value work here and there.

You'll find what works best for you.

Oh yea Great start Sherrie and congrats on the move, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new home and STUDIO!

http://www.bcoulterart.com