WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 01:09 PM
WC! Guide
Colorado

Hails from United States
More on Raku: What'd I do wrong??

Hi all,

So I debated whether to post this or not but I figured what the heck. I was playing with my raku the other day trying all of the suggestions I keep reading about (I'm determined NOT to get frustrated with myself with this stuff-it's just glass right??). Anyway, I got it real hot and then rolled it onto my stainless marver sitting on top of one of those freezer packs. I ended up with this black line on all of my beads where they touched the cold metal. So, does stainless not work? Was my flame wrong? Any clue?? Here is a pic:
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: More on Raku: What'd I do wrong??

I've gotten that mark before too, but using brass or graphite marvers. It's always been a random thing and I'd swear the marvers were clean when I started so I'd love to know the answer to this too!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Yakima, WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnt0721
Hi all, :

My name is Nanette, and I am Raku-Impaired. I've given up trying to charm the stinkin' stuff into purples and greens, instead I am USING purple and green frit, and reserving the R-108 for when I want a nice taupe or putty color.

I take nothing for granted. I now have only good days or great days. ~Lance Armstrong
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 02:28 PM
WC! Guide
Colorado

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevite
My name is Nanette, and I am Raku-Impaired. I've given up trying to charm the stinkin' stuff into purples and greens, instead I am USING purple and green frit, and reserving the R-108 for when I want a nice taupe or putty color.

LOL! I'm beginning to think I'm raku-challenged as well. It's ok, I'm with you, there are plenty of beautiful colored frits out there for me to play with. I just figured since I have it I may as well try! I hadn't seen anything in any of the "help me" threads about this black streak so I thought I would ask.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Raku is the greatest con job ever invented!!! It's a reduction frit. You won't get anything unless you reduce it!!!
Paula
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Immortalized
Central Oregon ~ Crooked River Ranch

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula D
Raku is the greatest con job ever invented!!! It's a reduction frit. You won't get anything unless you reduce it!!!
Paula
I "never" reduce mine and get plenty of color
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Well as you can see by reading the posts a lot of other people are not. (And this has been the 3rd or 4th thread from people who can't get those colors.)
Maybe you have magic dust instead of raku? Paula
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast
Near Vancouver, British Columbia

Hails from Canada

You don't reduce it, you cook it, nice and hot! If you reduce it, you'll get mud.

Try heating it beyond what you think is necessary, in a nice oxydizing flame. Heat it until you can see the raku seem to disappear. Then start playing with shaping etc.

For really great color, it can take quite a while to coax it out....in one of her auctions using this frit, Kim Neely spoke of taking 15-20 minutes per bead!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Immortalized
Central Oregon ~ Crooked River Ranch

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula D
Well as you can see by reading the posts a lot of other people are not. (And this has been the 3rd or 4th thread from people who can't get those colors.)
Maybe you have magic dust instead of raku? Paula
nope...my original was from Val Cox in a chunk form.
Marna then gifted me with a vile of #1...(second source)
I then got some chunks from Carolyn Driver (3rd source) and after that I splurged and ordered from Olympic Color Rod...powder/huge rod/and number 3 and 4....all of them I get the same colors.
I have played a lot with core color...and that makes a big difference.

you do need to heat it HOT
but I never use a reducing flame
I work on a minor with propane and concentrator (1)

so four sources...same stuff....R108

sorry that many of you can't seem to get the color...try different core colors...and get the raku hot after application. I dont baby this color at all.

its not magic...its patience and trial and error with core color.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

I'll put my 2 cents in here

Call me the town retard, but I played with Raku almost 3 months straight everyday trying to figure the stuff out. I have it figured out for myself and can get color everytime now. Can't predict WHAT color, but get color. Now, each size will bring different results. Be patient with yourself. Not all of us can do it so easily, including me. But once you get the hang of it you will have a ball!

I DO spend up to 1/2 hr. per bead. Plain and simple. But the reason for that is that I can bring out some of the most vibrant beautiful colors and then possibly have to melt out the chill marks and lose the vibrant color only to start again and get other vibrant colors and on and on. Sometimes I spend 1/2 an hour just trying to coax ANY color out. This stuff is so fickle and fun!

I tried getting color by reducing, like Paula said. It DID work. I found the colors popped easier.... BUT it's not the way I would always choose to do it now that I have more control of it. I will just add it to my list of ways to get this stuff to work. TRY IT! And remember, that is only 1 step. Cool, reintroduce to some heat, take out, look, heat, look..... you do have to take off the reduction effect with a more neutral flame.....

Remember this.... you normally will not get the final results from just doing 1 step. You may have to do 30 steps on a bead before you are done. An a lot of times you just have to give in and tell yourself this is the best color this bead wants to give me. The next one may be totally different.

Don't give up, have fun.

Rose
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 04:59 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

I second Kaye!

I have many different sizes from different people at different times, and I have no problem with any of the Raku. (considering myself lucky )

The frit needs to be so hot that it turns transparent, so hot that you are looseing the shape of your bead. then take it out of the flame and touch it to some thing cold. My BBQ masher work, my graphite marver works, the side of my Zoozii press works, even the ice tongs from Wally World work. What doesn't work for me is to use a tool that is hot beacuse I just used it. I can also get the colors to come out and play from just heating and cooling the bead.
I do find the #00 size frit a little more difficult to get the blues and purples to come out. When applying stringer from frit chunks if I turn down my Propane, meaning I have more of and Ox flame the colors come out as soon as I apply the stringer to the bead.

If you set out deliberately to make a masterpiece, how will you ever get it finished?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 05:55 PM
Yakima, WA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca

For really great color, it can take quite a while to coax it out....in one of her auctions using this frit, Kim Neely spoke of taking 15-20 minutes per bead!

Ahhhhhhhhh, that explains a LOT. I can see R-108 and I will never develop a lasting relationship. My hat is off to you patient persons!

I take nothing for granted. I now have only good days or great days. ~Lance Armstrong
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Enthusiast
northeastern california

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnt0721
Hi all,
Anyway, I got it real hot and then rolled it onto my stainless marver sitting on top of one of those freezer packs. I ended up with this black line on all of my beads where they touched the cold metal. So, does stainless not work? Was my flame wrong? Any clue?? Here is a pic:

Hi Dawn,

Since I don't think anyone's answered your question yet, I'll take a stab at it...

That looks like some sort of reduction and/or soot that's happening on your beads... are you keeping the beads way out in the flame before you put them on the cold marver? I sometimes reduce R-108 while I'm getting it mega hot, but I burn off the reduction film before I take it out of the flame and cool it. You can see it reducing in the flame-- an opaque sort of coating forms on the glass. Make sure you burn this off...

That's just a guess-- I've never had that happen before and lord knows I've made about a million R-108 leaves. I'm on a Minor with an oxygen concentrator. What are you using?

lynne

My eBay
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Enthusiast
New England

Hails from United States

Dawn,
It almost looks as if you are working in a reduction (high propane) flame. To burn off the reduction you need to add oxygen to your flame. Keeping the bead in the same kind of flame that put the reduction there won't get rid of the reduction.
To everyone else who thinks they have different sources...It's almost all imported through CR Loo, Spruce Pine Batch (or some name like that) or Olympic Color Rod. You might have different batches but there are only a few "sources." You could have frit from 4 different friends that came out of the same batch.
Ok. I've had enough raku faku. I'm going to play with some of the just as pretty but forgotten colors!!
Paula
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast
Whittier, CA

Hails from United States

I was playing with this stuff again last night. Every couple of days I try it again hoping to get some consistency with it.

Yes, it does look like you reduced it with too much propane BUT you can bring it back and should not have stopped where you did. Often times I will get the same reaction, because I dip the bead down in the flame to where it is about 1/4 inch from the nozzle, and bathe the bead in that intense heat for mere seconds. Then I cool it for a few seconds (no tools) and then When I bring the bead back higher in the flame you can see the same darkness (sometimes it goes completely black) and you just bathe the bead in higher flames letting the flame just tickle the bead gently. Slowly that dark area will turn into the more green/blue/purple colors.

Intense reducing like I mentioned seems to start the color changing quicker. BUT , (at least with my equipment minor & concentrator- boy, Kaye must have super equipment cause I don't get the reactions she does) I have found that the important time for the intense heat and cooling is BEFORE you ever press the bead into any mold. I got some super colors last night (but not consistent around the bead) by intense heat and natural cooling the round bead, and heating, cooling, etc for several times while the bead was still round and not pressed. Once it was pressed and really cooled by the mold, I had difficult time changing the color that was on the bead.